2023 Show Announcements

well Vandegrift already sounds amazing and it's still May. thiiink they're going for Hebron virtuosity this year, looots of notes. the only other one ive heard is twhs, my unfiltered opinion is that Vandy makes their wind book sound like it's for intermediate school students lol, tho i like it quite a bit nonetheless. just not sure why they don't challenge the wind musicians a little bit more.

but yeah, Vandy prob gearing up for top 3 yet again unless everything else about the show is a lot worse or everyone else is way better than usual.

16 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Red alert! Red alert! 🚨 The annual Vandegrift May performance video has dropped! I repeat, the Vandegrift video has dropped! Calling all TXBands users! 😄

They sound amazing, of course. I agree that they seem to be chasing Hebron a little bit. So many technically challenging parts in that opener! They'll have a great year.

I think The Woodlands sounds fantastic as well, by the way. They're producing clear, wonderful sounds, and I like the music a lot. My gut says they're going to have a very special season.

By the way -- and I'm sure you know this already -- there's more to difficulty than the number of notes you play! Rhythmic challenges, intervallic challenges, phrasing challenges -- all can impress an educated listener. Also, like in WGI, I think the fundamental training needs to match the vocabulary for the vocabulary to be fully credited by a judge. A band shouldn't attempt something difficult just because they can and then have it be filthy!

Vandegrift also probably excutes in the phrasing department better than anyone in the state, very musical and effective in their performance and we see it in their shows year to year!

• 3 weeks later...

Gatesville High School's (4A) 2023 Show is titled "Eye See"

It is broken up into four parts, and features the music:

Overture from Interstellar Suite by Amin Bhatia

Celestial Night: Maestoso - Agitato by Richard Danielpour

I See the Light from Disney Pixar's Tangled by Alan Menken and

Joy from Awakening by Joseph Curiale

'Eye See' features an Alto Saxophone solo, a Baritone and Flute Duet, a Colorguard Solo, a Colorguard Duet, and for the second year in a row, the Gatesville Fightin' Hornet Band will be including the Gatesville Dazzlers (Drill Team) in their show.

There are projected to be about 80 Performers and one Drum Major in this year's show.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 225242.png

On 6/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, tastiestbiscuit123 said:

'Eye See' features an Alto Saxophone solo, an Alto Saxophone and French Horn Duet, a Colorguard Solo, a Colorguard Duet, and for the second year in a row, the Gatesville Fightin' Hornet Band will be including the Gatesville Dazzlers (Drill Team) in their show.

There are projected to be about 90 Performers and one Drum Major in this year's show.

Where have i heard this before...

On 5/22/2023 at 7:46 PM, SleepySeal said:

Harker Heights HS - “Songbird”

Air Waltz - Oliver Davis

Flight of the Thunderbird - R. Saucedo

Arrival of the Birds - The Cinematic Orchestra

Bird Set Free - Sia

New Moon in the Old Moons Arms - Kamen

Paradise/Peponi - Coldplay/The Piano Guys

image.thumb.png.fe5d45df126ab5ae76b6c1c23e1f0166.png

I graduated from heights and im so curious to see what they do with this source music

On 4/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, LeanderMomma said:

Westlake Chap Band

All The Lonely People

Featuring the following music:

People (from Funny Girl the Musical)
Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles/Cody Fry)
Symphony No. 1 (by Samuel Barber)

www.instagram.com/reel/CrgwV0kgJBd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

resident westlaker with the inside scoop: "people" from funny girl is a pre-show with some killer piano, our opener is a symphony no.1 + eleanor rigby mashup with some great section features, ballad is andante tranquillo from symphony no. 1 very a la vista ridge 2021, and ending movement(s) is yet to be released from ryan george's confines but we're hoping soon 🤞. i have a good feeling it'll be a strong season for westlake

On 6/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, tastiestbiscuit123 said:

'Eye See' features an Alto Saxophone solo, an Alto Saxophone and French Horn Duet, a Colorguard Solo, a Colorguard Duet, and for the second year in a row, the Gatesville Fightin' Hornet Band will be including the Gatesville Dazzlers (Drill Team) in their show.

There are projected to be about 90 Performers and one Drum Major in this year's show.

Interesting that their I See the Light arrangement has the exact solos as the one I did.  Good to know I'm not totally incompetent at arranging.