2023 BOA Austin (Sept. 23)

LeanderMomma

3 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Maybe it was just me, but did anyone kinda struggle to connect with a lot of the shows yesterday? There were a few that stood out, but nothing that seemed head and shoulders above the rest. 

The students were all performing at a crazy level, but I just thought a lot of the design was lacking for this time of year. 

I actually had the opposite effect but that is just the name of the game :) subjectivity based on people’s perceptions! Plus: it seems a lot of schools focused on being super clean this early on, which could explain the design differences? Maybe the later season changes will develop the shows a lot! I agree that the students were performing at crazy levels- early-mid October levels which is so impressive! 

1 hour ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Plus: it seems a lot of schools focused on being super clean this early on, which could explain the design differences? Maybe the later season changes will develop the shows a lot! I agree that the students were performing at crazy levels- early-mid October levels which is so impressive! 

I can see this perspective being the case for now since it's just the start of the contest season. It did feel like a lot of shows were..."quiet/empty" during a lot of their movements, perhaps lacking visuals or little musical quirks (CR comes to mind, given that Midnight Hour was so busy) that seem exicting but I imagine those will be added once they get the foundation put out.

On a side note- would anyone happen to have any sneak peaks into FloMo 🥲 I won't be able to catch them live this season so I'd love to see what they're up to. Plus CTJ, I don't think I've seen anything from them yet.

Congratulations to all the bands that performed yesterday! I was in prelims and it was soooooooo hot! Usually (at least in the last 2 years that I've watched this contest) in the last block and/or announcements the stands would be full. But yesterday, there were a lot of empty seats. It was that hot!

And despite the heat, all the kids pushed thru and did outstanding work. It's early in the season and this is just the first competition. I'm excited to see how each of your shows develop in the next few weeks!

(Sidenote: Do we know (if any) had their full show on the field already? Just curious...) 

Congratulations to Rouse! That was a great show you put on at finals! Bravo!

Congratulations to all the finalist bands as well. Each one that performed last night (including the exhibition bands) was amazing. I was thoroughly entertained. Looking forward to watching y'all again this season!

52 minutes ago, Zil said:

Oh and speaking of heat... today, Sept 24, the national weather service issued a heat advisory for Williamson/Travis County (where the KRAC is located) from 1pm to 7pm. If this was issued yesterday, would the contest have been postponed? 

I think the competition was already moved to start earlier with the purpose to end prelims in time before the *worst* part of the day. It's been routinely miserable in Texas so I'm sure they prepared for such a scenario. 

I imagine if anything they would've made bands who performed around 1pm perform after 7pm and then immediately go into finals? Similar to when they pause for rain and continue after. That would be my guess, I doubt they'd cancel the day or move it to another weekend as it would skew a lot of programs schedules.

17 hours ago, Miyazuu said:

A bit unrelated but- 

It's a bit disappointing to experience band parents/volunteers make negative comments in the stands on other programs who they're competing against. I just wish they were a lil more mindful of their surroundings 🙃. Although, it's a bit ironic that the band they were shaming for "not actually being loud" ended up winning the whole competition. 

On a better note, absolutely crazy turn of events with Rouse, it's quite the come-up. Top 1-5 is definitely gonna be a toss up as the season progresses. It's aboutta be a whirlwind of a month as we start our journey to state/nats.

My band did not attend this competition, but I agree with this. I injured myself during last year after Area Prelims, so I was up in the stands with the band parents. Some of the parents of one of the competing bands were trashing my school. However, the look on their faces when we won was priceless! 😂

Awesome job Rouse! I’m rooting for them! :)

26 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Oh, I have no doubts that a lot of these shows will be more fleshed out as the season progresses! I just feel like some of the bases that a lot of these shows are built on are just less interesting conceptually than what was being done last year. 

i think i moooostly agree with this. maybe Rouse, Leander, and Lake Travis were exceptions? really liking Vista's as well, think that show has legs and will prob beat 1 or both of the 2 shows above them at BOA SA if they clean it enough.

def the two Cedars and Vandy i thought were more compelling last yr around this time.

still a huge shock to me Vandy didn't win tho. when's the last time a band swept prelims and won it by a large margin (1.5 points) only to lose in finals and lose most of their caption wins also? seems suuuuuper rare.

17 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

Final Results:

1. Rouse H.S., TX 85.15
2. Vandegrift H.S., TX 85.00
3. Vista Ridge H.S., TX 83.50
4. Cedar Park H.S., TX 83.15
5. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX 82.00
6. Lake Travis H.S., TX 80.25
7. Round Rock H.S., TX 79.20
8. Westwood H.S., TX 78.50
9. Leander H.S., TX 78.10
10. Westlake H.S., TX 78.05
11. Dripping Springs H.S., TX 76.05
12. James Bowie H.S., TX 75.55

Outstanding Music Performance: Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: (tie) Vandegrift H.S., TX & Rouse H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect: Rouse H.S., TX

WAY TO GO ROUSE! I’m extremely proud of how they performed yesterday! I’m rooting for yall!

- Another School Band Kid

11 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

My band did not attend this competition, but I agree with this. I injured myself during last year after Area Prelims, so I was up in the stands with the band parents. Some of the parents of one of the competing bands were trashing my school. However, the look on their faces when we won was priceless! 😂

Awesome job Rouse! I’m rooting for them! :)

It was admittedly a lil funny to watch them see their band to not receive the placement they expected and rank lower than the one they were shaming, a bit of instant karma almost. Although, their band placed high anyways so it's still something to brag over if they'd so like. It's just so disappointing to see parents rag on the kids on the field, makes no sense to me.

I hope you're doing better though! Marching injuries suck, especially during a competition 😣 I hope your season goes well this year if you're still a part of the activity! :)