2023 BOA Conroe (Sept. 30)

LeanderMomma

3 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Great job from that first block 

I loved Cy-Woods, absolutely amazing, seven lakes completely blew me away after I finally got a chance to see their show, all I have to say to seven lakes is “beautiful” Foster was amazing as always, great job from others like clear creek, clear falls, porter, iowa colony, JET was phenomenal, Jordan was amazing as always, Cy-Ranch did better than I honestly thought they would, amazing peformance, I feel like that was a performance of a new caliber for them, excited for this next block!!!

Clear Creek and Iowa County dropped this contest. 

Prelims Results

AAA

1 -- Clear Brook
2 -- Friendswood
3 -- Foster

Music -- Friendswood
Visual -- Stephen F. Austin / Clear Brook / Friendswood
General Effect -- Clear Brook

AAAA

1 -- Cy-Fair
2 -- Klein Oak
3 -- Dawson

Music -- Cy-Fair
Visual -- Cy-Fair
General Effect -- Cy-Fair

Finalists

Oak Ridge
College Park
Cypress Woods
Wylie East
Cy-Fair
Clear Brook
Stephen F. Austin
Foster
Seven Lakes
Friendswood
Klein Oak
Dawson

https://marching.musicforall.org/result/shenandoah-tx-2023

3 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Conroe Finalists-

Oak Ridge HS
College Park HS
Cypress Woods HS
Wylie East HS
Cy-Fair HS
Clear Brook HS
Stephen F. Austin HS
Foster HS
Seven Lakes HS
Friendswood HS
Klein Oak HS
Dawson HS

Indeed very very very interesting results… 

cant say I agree but I rarely ever do.

Congrats to the finalists and everyone else! Everyone did fantastic today! 

yayyy Cy-Fair!! well-deserved!!

actually technically i didn't watch anything from prelims LOL. had a c. diff infection that lasted 8 months in 2020 when the pandemic hit, screwed up my immune system, left me w/ very long lasting IBS, ate the wrong thing last night and have been throwing up. good times!!

guess the only surprises going in for me would be cy woods shut out of the top 3 in 4a entirely. would say 7L as well but i haven't seen any of their show, haven't seen any of Dawson either.

super happy for Clear Brook too. that's a strong show!!

2 minutes ago, TWHSParent said:

Finals Schedule

7:30 p.m. – Oak Ridge H.S., TX
7:45 p.m. – Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
8:00 p.m. – Foster H.S., TX
8:15 p.m. – Cypress Woods H.S., TX
8:30 p.m. – Seven Lakes H.S., TX
8:45 p.m. – Wylie East H.S., TX
9:00 p.m. – Clear Brook H.S., TX
9:15 p.m. – Dawson H.S., TX
9:30 p.m. – Cy-Fair H.S., TX
9:45 p.m. – Friendswood H.S., TX
10:00 p.m. – Klein Oak H.S., TX
10:15 p.m. – College Park H.S., TX

interesting to see no break? Hope I can see Stephen F. Austin in a couple of weeks!

5 minutes ago, Bad.robot said:

I believe Cy Woods and Seven Lakes were hurt by their early slots. We’ll see how they both handled their 12-13 hours between performances 

most likely. Them plus Foster were the only ones to advance from the first block, so could be possible that due to performance time, they placed lower. I could definitely see some changes in finals.

2 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

most likely. Them plus Foster were the only ones to advance from the first block, so could be possible that due to performance time, they placed lower. I could definitely see some changes in finals.

I think the first block suffered the most, I could’ve seen completely different results had the first and last/2nd blocks been switched. 

On 9/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, crunchycookie3 said:

This contest is so difficult to predict! Here’s how I think tiers of the top 20 groups will shake out on Saturday. And with how this season is going, I’m 90% sure there’s a group not listed here that will end up in the top half, if not medalling.

Medal Contenders:

-Cy-Fair

-Cy-Woods

-Seven Lakes

-Wylie East (wow…. music is likely theirs to lose)

-Klein Oak

-------------

Solid Locks:

-Friendswood

-Clear Brook

-Klein Cain

-------------

Wildcards (as high as top half, could also be out):

-Oak Ridge

-Dawson

-Foster

-Jordan

-------------

On the edge of finals:

-Tompkins

-SFA

-College Park

-Taylor

-O’Connor

-Tomball Memorial

-A&M

-Clear Falls

Looks like I’ll be dining on my own words for dinner! Having been to all the prelims performances in person, I’m shocked to see how these prelims results shook out. HUGE kudos to Dawson- their piccolo soloist absolutely stole the show.

6 minutes ago, packwick said:

i love these extended ad tours of the Fred J Miller sweatshop!!!

ngl some of the ones in the bottom half were actually quiiite a bit dirtier than expected. clear brook just killed it, delightful show.

I thought that when I saw the finalists in prelims. The judges must have been looking for/at different things than we do in their shows :)

really not much for me to disagree w/ judging wise after watching finals and seeing them all side by side from the same perspective. don't think there was like a huge difference b/w top half/bottom half scores, lots of bands were pretty close in quality. cy fair def killed it. loved Friendswood's design, if anything i would have expected the more content heavy GE caption to go to them rather than the perf captions, where they seem to have a lot of room for growth imo. but then Clear Brook was pretty all around excellent.

yep yep. really nothing that surprising in finals results. agree w/ the top 2 and the spreads. i would have had College Park in 3rd on the strength of music, nice to see them snag that music caption. still need some work on the vis perf and design side of things. guard seemed to be overreaching a little w/ all those 5+ rifle tosses. don't need to always do the big tosses when u can do other ones more cleanly.

friendswood, again, super cool eye-popping design, incredible set pieces and color palette, delightful music, but it all needs some cleaning.

i would have swapped Dawson out of the top half for one of the top bottom halfers, my pick prob would have been Cy Woods tho they seemed to have some mic issues + their last movement was kind of all over the place.