2023 BOA Prosper (Oct. 14)

LeanderMomma

13 minutes ago, Detroit Rock City said:

I know a lot of Hendrickson parents and they were asking the same thing. 

Yeah I was very surprised myself, I thought they had a great run and the drill was pretty clean, so I’m a bit confused, but looking at these results just had me confused…..so many bands placed and some of the scores…no way D-Ville didn’t get at LEAST a 70, idk I’m just a bit bamboozled, some crazy results to say the least 

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah I was very surprised myself, I thought they had a great run and the drill was pretty clean, so I’m a bit confused, but looking at these results just had me confused…..so many bands placed and some of the scores…no way D-Ville didn’t get at LEAST a 70, idk I’m just a bit bamboozled, some crazy results to say the least 

D-ville is walked away with 22nd place and a score of 69.55, very very shocked. Maybe it wasn’t a judge’s taste? IDK. Also Hendrickson was first out, with Boyd in 14th in prelims. Goes to show how general effect can make or break your show in BOA.

3 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

D-ville is walked away with 22nd place and a score of 69.55, very very shocked. Maybe it wasn’t a judge’s taste? IDK. Also Hendrickson was first out, with Boyd in 14th in prelims. Goes to show how general effect can make or break your show in BOA.

Yeah idk what was up with that, they sounded incredible in person, but they probably heard things we didn’t 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Being a fan of Duncanville and watching many of Duncanville’s shows throughout the years, I think their show was very fun, entertaining, and a very nice sight to see, but I think individual marching and marching as a whole needs a bit more work to compete with some of the top bands. I could see how music choices and the simplicity of the music compared to the top bands maybe could have brought them down. 

8 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I think Wakeland will pretty comfortably take Leander. Seeing the huge gap in the scores, Wakeland is definitely on top right now. Leander will still be top 5, at least I think, but I don’t see them over Wakeland as of now 

I’m holding on to hope that Leander will do good in state. I do see them in 3rd or 4th. Wakeland could easily take them once I analyze everything before my final state predictions.

Congrats to Azle, they were 8th in prelims, notably beating Forney and Keller which was a huge surprise (to me at least)! A recent band to find their way into BOA regional finals and this result seems to bode well for the rest of the season for them. Dropped to 12th in finals but still a great showing! Looks like they're in the state picture for 5A Area F this year imo.

4 hours ago, bandsoflove said:

Being a fan of Duncanville and watching many of Duncanville’s shows throughout the years, I think their show was very fun, entertaining, and a very nice sight to see, but I think individual marching and marching as a whole needs a bit more work to compete with some of the top bands.

I can agree with this. I do think Dville has the potential to play more difficult music and they’re still new to marching and moving I guess in a more “modern” way so getting fruit in this regard will still take some time. With that said, I still feel that what they did put out was a very fun and well performed run. Finals worthy? Probably not but 22nd just feels harsh.

4 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

My last attempt, if anyone has either Lovejoy’s prelims or exhibition run and could please send me either or both, I’d very much appreciate it, starting to regret not taking a video of them myself 😐

idk about the exhibition run, but there was prelims video; i'll send it to you it if it gets sent out to us 

1 hour ago, guardgirl06 said:

idk if there's anyone here who still cares about this, but we're still waiting for a response for an appeal. i think it was genuinely just bad luck due to technical issues, but there's been a lot of speculation. what has been confirmed is that we started the show late and went 2 seconds over time. mics were still being tested as drum major began conducting and she had to stop. we started ~15 seconds or so after the 8 minute timer started because one of the soloist mics was fried and there was an attempt to try and fix it. we went 2 seconds overtime as the timer went off during the last stinger note was being played. we were told that we would've received straight 1's but we were getting a 2 due to going 2 seconds over. band directors have made an appeal request but are still waiting for a response. just really unfortunate 

on a brighter note, we generally felt pretty good about our boa runs and we were glad that we got an opportunity to perform again for exhibition considering the early times and long day we had

Great attitude! But still think you deserve benefit of doubt! Let them go to Area UIL

5 hours ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

The week before, at BOA DFW, Hebron had quite the delay before Finals performance...can you imagine if they were penalized and lost their spot?  I get UIL is a different situation and "rules are rules" but we also need to have common sense grace.  Do the right thing UIL....Let Lovejoy March on.

I don't think they will, the same thing happened to Wakeland last year with technical difficulties and there will be complaints if they allow Lovejoy to get 1s but didn't allow Wakeland to last year

40 minutes ago, JohnSmith said:

I don't think they will, the same thing happened to Wakeland last year with technical difficulties and there will be complaints if they allow Lovejoy to get 1s but didn't allow Wakeland to last year

It’s about the evolution of policy. These timing penalties keeping strong bands out has been brewing for a few years. Most notably Roma a potential finalist was kept out of state in 2019.

49 minutes ago, JohnSmith said:

I get it. And if I were a bubble band that would benefit from them not making it and my band made a 1 by being on time, I’d definitely be in the sucks to be you crowd. Ha

It is what it is. Just maybe be the official that sees it go 00’s look up and hear its the final and think…did i really see 00s 😂 

2 hours ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

I get it. And if I were a bubble band that would benefit from them not making it and my band made a 1 by being on time, I’d definitely be in the sucks to be you crowd. Ha

It is what it is. Just maybe be the official that sees it go 00’s look up and hear its the final and think…did i really see 00s 😂 

I don't really understand what you're trying to say? 

2 hours ago, lost said:

It’s about the evolution of policy. These timing penalties keeping strong bands out has been brewing for a few years. Most notably Roma a potential finalist was kept out of state in 2019.

Yes I definitely agree with that, I understand that uil doesn't want to make any exceptions but technical difficulties shouldn't come in the way of a program's success especially if they can't control it!