2023 BOA Prosper (Oct. 14)

LeanderMomma

Just now, LostChoirGuy said:

Thoughts on the standout performances of the day so far?

For me, it was definitely Prosper! Ik it’s quite literally BA 19, but they are performing the show at such a high level, if they finally make it back to the state comp, I could see them in finals. Duncanville was also one of my favorites, really rich sounds, but everyone had just been great

My current top 10 (didnt see enough for a top 12+):

1. Keller

2. Wakeland

3. Waxahachie

4. Southlake Carroll

5. Prosper

6. McKinney Boyd

7. Rock Hill

8. Duncanville

9. Sachse

10. McKinney High

Note that Im not exactly great with BOA predictions and this is from my head which is more 50/50 on cleanliness/GE rather than the 60/40 or more GE leaning that BOA is and from personal preference, so if something looks extremely off to yall, thats why😅, its a very tight competition which is very exciting!

5 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

My current top 10 (didnt see enough for a top 12+):

1. Keller

2. Wakeland

3. Waxahachie

4. Southlake Carroll

5. Prosper

6. McKinney Boyd

7. Rock Hill

8. Duncanville

9. Sachse

10. McKinney High

Note that Im not exactly great with BOA predictions and this is from my head which is more 50/50 on cleanliness/GE rather than the 60/40 or more GE leaning that BOA is and from personal preference, so if something looks extremely off to yall, thats why😅, its a very tight competition which is very exciting!

Very solid, I’d personally switch prosper with Waxahachie, and maybe move up D-Ville a spot or 2, but yeah mine would probably be like this 

Halfway and these are the shows that’ve really popped for me are

Southlake Carroll

Dville

Waxahachie: this group always plays with so much finesse and professionalism and this is no different. 

Keller: God I loved that that Mahler 2 closer. I’ve seen a lot of criticism towards Keller but I genuinely really like this show and believe it’ll do well in Indy come November!

Rock Hill: Such a fun show and that shouting section had me hype. This show is packed with GE and I’m hoping they break into finals. 

Prosper: didn’t get to watch their show but heard they did very well. 

Wakeland: easily the winner for me of these first 2 blocks. Kept me on my toes the whole show with how powerful and cleanly they perform. Strong sections all around and man those mellos! Wonderful wouldn’t be surprised if they sweep captions! 

Just now, clarinetistkai05 said:

Quick question: What determines the general effect score in competitions? 

I’m no GE expert, but it’s really just the development of the show through the music and drill/bodywork. It’s the band presenting themselves emotionally, the guard amplifying the show through difficult/ solo moments, and just conveying the theme! It’s definitely a more in depth thing, but that’s my broad explanation, but you can find the judge’s adjudication book on the MFA website and see what they are looking for themselves! 

Just now, Tubalord11 said:

I’m no GE expert, but it’s really just the development of the show through the music and drill/bodywork. It’s the band presenting themselves emotionally, the guard amplifying the show through difficult/ solo moments, and just conveying the theme! It’s definitely a more in depth thing, but that’s my broad explanation, but you can find the judge’s adjudication book on the MFA website and see what they are looking for themselves! 

Alright cool, also do you know how much you paid for box5? My sister is getting it to watch me live since I told her she didn’t have to watch me (personal reasons).

3 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Alright cool, also do you know how much you paid for box5? My sister is getting it to watch me live since I told her she didn’t have to watch me (personal reasons).

For regional events like this one, you can purchase just prelims for 17 dollars, just finals for 17 dollars, or the whole contest (prelims AND finals) for 28 dollars.

9 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Does the soundtrack match the movie and vice versa. And how well does it read to the audience and judges.

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

That Keller brass is UNREAL!!! The current winners in my eyes right now, I mean what a sound! They’ve improved so much since HEB, and are here to get their first boa win! I’d very surprised if they don’t make finals at nats this year, because that is one killer show! Wow wow wow, amazing job Keller!

Not surprised to hear there’s been cleaning!

1 hour ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Unfortunately, that’s a classic Cartwright move-recycling shows and concepts for different bands. Glad to hear Prosper is performing it well!

Not really a fan of that tbh!! Would rather programs be more collaborative with their designers instead of being shoved a show and be told, “here, do this”🙃

That North show had everyone on their feet! It’s just something you could listen to all day long, literally a jazz band marching show, and it works so well! I do wonder how they will be judged visually, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the night show! Just such wonderful sounds, and the vocalist was great, amazing job MN!