UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

Just now, northtexasshawty said:

I’m still so curious, how did Mckinney North not make it to finals? They placed third in their area while Lebanon trail got fourth somehow Lebanon trail is at finals but not in Mckinney? You would think that area scores somewhat predicted, and would reflect state scores, right?

A lot can happen between Area and State, and Lebanon cleaned the heck up! Mckinney North's show is very hard to read from a UIL design wise, not 100%, but definitely more than some of the other shows here, and that could have and probably did hurt them some. Seeing the recap that was posted, it also seemed like certain bands, mainly musically had stronger musical performances yesterday than they did, but still a great season for them regardless!! 

FORNEY!!! I'm just jaw-dropped by how incredible that performance was!!! I mean where to start. That percussion is just CRAZY GOOD!!! Love the battle scene so much, adds so much to the performance, that whole movement on its own is just awesome! Drill was so clean, great sounds all around, loved the Basson/Flute duet, just wow Forney! Congrats @clarinetistkai05and the Forney band on an incredible season!! 

4 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

A lot can happen between Area and State, and Lebanon cleaned the heck up! Mckinney North's show is very hard to read from a UIL design wise, not 100%, but definitely more than some of the other shows here, and that could have and probably did hurt them some. Seeing the recap that was posted, it also seemed like certain bands, mainly musically had stronger musical performances yesterday than they did, but still a great season for them regardless!! 

I saw most of prelims including north, it was a very solid performance, I personally had them in finals but different judges have different opinions and I guess this panel didn’t vibe with them yesterday for lack of a better word

7 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

where can i find the recap? 

6 minutes ago, northtexasshawty said:

I’m still so curious, how did Mckinney North not make it to finals? They placed third in their area while Lebanon trail got fourth somehow Lebanon trail is at finals but not in Mckinney? You would think that area scores somewhat predicted, and would reflect state scores, right?

I'll just add on here that the judging format is also different at state versus area. Area has a five judge panel with just music and visual captions (music judges look at analysis, woodwinds, brass and percussion on the same sheet and visual judges look at individual and ensemble on the same sheet). At state it's a seven judge panel with music analysis, woodwinds, brass and percussion being their own separate caption/judge and visual analysis (ensemble) and individual visual being separate captions/judges as well as a design/content judges.

Should area now move to the seven judge system? I personally think so, but that's an offseason discussion.

Forney

This was my first time seeing the show this season. What a show and it's awesome to see you in the top half of SMBC. It is well earned. 

Percussion: Yikes!! I'm glad ya'll didn't hurt anyone cause you were slaying this book. 
Brass and Woods: Great balance and projection
Guard: You made my eyes dance

Great job Forney!!  

2 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

Richland

Ya'll really liked the grinder in the hall of the Mountain King. You nailed it!! Amazing job. Then to transition into the ballad.  Pretty tones throughout. Well executed step out to end the ballad. Epic ensemble sound on the closer. And to end with Phantom Regiment's kickout kneel was class!! 

Great job Richland!

Love the kick out!

Unbelievably clean performance from Wakeland! Drill was just unimaginably clean, wouldn't be surprised if they took the ensemble visual caption. Soloist were just so beautiful, that Sparano sax places with such a gorgeous tone! Love this show so so much, was an honor to watch yall progress over the season. Mello sustain was so tight, guard was amazing, I think they will medal for sure, but it will be close between them and Leander, great job Wakeland!! 

Well, after the conclusion of finals, here are my predictions! It's going to be VERY close between the top 4, and honestly bottom half could be in any order, all had great performances, so it's all really gonna come down to the judges. I've got a busy evening, but I'll do an appreciation post when I get home, but I will be able to listen to results thankfully. Congrats though to all the bands on an amazing season, can't wait for next year already!! 

1st. Cedar Park/Rouse 

2nd. Rouse/Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland 

4th. Leander 

5th. Forney 

6th. Burleson Centennial 

7th. Friendswood 

8th. Richland

9th. Lonestar 

10th. Roma 

11th. Hendrickson 

12th. Lebanon Trail 

--->Wakeland<---

You make it insanely difficult to root for an LISD sweep. What a show!! What a sound. Super mature body movements throughout the piece. The guard double flags through the sax solo is my favorite guard moment of the day. The half time vs regualr time marching was excellent in the ballad. What a closer! 

Congratulations Wakeland!! Thank you for kicking this show in the teeth.