UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

2 minutes ago, ValleyBandFanatic said:

It’s very promising that Pioneer performed first and reportedly ended up placing 25th AND Roma Made finals despite their somewhat early draw time. It’s in my name Y'all! Valley Bands are SEVERELY underrated, and I hope this comp is representative of that🤠

Oh yay :) it's so nice to see valley bands place well against Central/North Texas bands! I wish things didn't get so rocky for Sharyland in the last couple years, I would've loved to see them be alongside Pioneer.

Well ig now that it’s out…definitely surprised about MN’S placement. Maybe just a rough music run? Poteet placed very will which doesn’t surprise me, they had a really good run, but a bit surprised with Foster. I’d say other than that nothing to shocking….well okay area D did place a lot lower overall than i expected, Pieper did not place where I thought they would, maybe so first time nerve. But again, it just goes to show how much competitive tx is for MB

31 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

Oh yay :) it's so nice to see valley bands place well against Central/North Texas bands! I wish things didn't get so rocky for Sharyland in the last couple years, I would've loved to see them be alongside Pioneer.

Hopefully all valley schools move up soon! What do you mean by “rocky” for SHS? Did something happen? They seem to place well in local comps🤔

2 minutes ago, ValleyBandFanatic said:

Hopefully all valley schools move up soon! What do you mean by “rocky” for SHS? Did something happen? They seem to place well in local comps🤔

To be quite honest I haven't followed up much on them since...oof maybe...2019? So I wouldn't doubt they're doing well still. I know they kind of gained their footing again around 2015, assuming that's when their new director following Mr. Nelson took over. They were a pretty big competitor in the valley pre-pioneer.

As for the rocky part, I know the program went through a rough patch following the opening of Pioneer HS, it cut the members and the diffusion of middle schoolers also affected that. Mr. Nelson had also lost a lot of his passion at that point as well, plus there was a lot of negative politics that followed the band due to him. Things seem to have gotten better once he retires and they got their new director whose full name I can't remember besides Mr. P. Although I do wonder if Sanchez, Rocha, and Van Epps are still there 🤔 Either way, go rattlers 😛

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Lets just say certain people have their ways of getting the scores early, but I can confirm these are the scores from prelims. But yeah some people have access to them either through connections or I'd imagine so people can get a "taste" of results, but yes these are the placements and total scores of prelims, scores won't become public till tomorrow after finals. 

For whatever reason, CompetitionSuite posts them immediately after the last band performs, so staff members know prelims results before finalist bands are even announced. It happened last week, too. I’m not sure if it’s a mistake or what, but that’s how I have access to the to the prelims recap. 

9 minutes ago, yayband914 said:

For whatever reason, CompetitionSuite posts them immediately after the last band performs, so staff members know prelims results before finalist bands are even announced. It happened last week, too. I’m not sure if it’s a mistake or what, but that’s how I have access to the to the prelims recap. 

Very much appreciate that you are sharing with us. Thank you!

38 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

To be quite honest I haven't followed up much on them since...oof maybe...2019? So I wouldn't doubt they're doing well still. I know they kind of gained their footing again around 2015, assuming that's when their new director following Mr. Nelson took over. They were a pretty big competitor in the valley pre-pioneer.

As for the rocky part, I know the program went through a rough patch following the opening of Pioneer HS, it cut the members and the diffusion of middle schoolers also affected that. Mr. Nelson had also lost a lot of his passion at that point as well, plus there was a lot of negative politics that followed the band due to him. Things seem to have gotten better once he retires and they got their new director whose full name I can't remember besides Mr. P. Although I do wonder if Sanchez, Rocha, and Van Epps are still there 🤔 Either way, go rattlers 😛

2019 is when the director change happened. Their placings have gotten better since then. I know there is a history of intense moments in their “rivalry” with Pioneer, but they both did well this year at the SMBC! Pioneer has just been so consistent in the top 2 valley bands for so long right out the gate, but SHS also has the history of being open so long. Very interesting dynamic indeed!