UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

3 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

for sure! It's hard to predict Henny with them going to all BOA comps this year minus area, which they won so that's something. I think Austin was just they weren't at finalist level, Prosper they 100% should have made finals IMO, some wonky judging for them there, but I think they will do just fine here, but I'm really excited to see how things shake out, lots of bands here have had very successful seasons, will probably the most competitive state for both 5A and 6A we have ever had! 

Hendrickson at Prosper sounded very harsh imo. I watched it on Box5, so maybe the audio was different live, but then again state is very very hard to predict. (also rip Jack C. Hays, I know some of y’all were predicting them to be finalists).

In honor of state being almost an entire week away! I’d figure it’s time for my last ever band predictions (maybe I’ll watch comps in between my college life, but who knows). this is considering:

a) results from every competition that I can find: no matter the judging format (good shows tend to do very well at both boa and UIL, example: Rouse, Wakeland, etc).

b) past attendance in state and how they’ve improved or fallen.

c) personal opinions, but I do genuinely love these bands!

without further ado, here are my finals predictions! any of these can be swapped, but here is what I believe will happen! I will also be indicating a key below this list as well as a finals bubble!

1. Rouse *

2. Cedar Park *

3. Wakeland *

4. Leander *

5. Forney *

6. Aledo *

7. Hendrickson *

8. Lone Star ~

9. Friendswood *

10. Burleson Centennial ~

11. Roma #

12. McKinney North #

Finals Bubble:

Lebanon Trail

Richland

Foster 

Lake Benton

Key:

* = State Finalist Lock

~ = On the fence, will elaborate on if asked

# = Can be swapped with any of the finalist bubble bands

5 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

In honor of state being almost an entire week away! I’d figure it’s time for my last ever band predictions (maybe I’ll watch comps in between my college life, but who knows). this is considering:

a) results from every competition that I can find: no matter the judging format (good shows tend to do very well at both boa and UIL, example: Rouse, Wakeland, etc).

without further ado, here are my finals predictions! any of these can be swapped, but here is what I believe will happen! I will also be indicating a key below this list as well as a finals bubble!

1. Rouse *

2. Cedar Park *

3. Wakeland *

4. Leander *

5. Forney *

6. Hendrickson *

7. Lone Star ~

8. Friendswood *

9. Hendrickson *

10. Burleson Centennial ~

11. Roma #

12. Richland #

Finals Bubble:

Lebanon Trail

Mckinney North

Foster 

Lake Benton

Key:

* = State Finalist Lock

No Aledo? Would be super shocked if they weren't in, but anything can happen, and they do go on pretty early so that could hurt them, but should be in finals relatively comfortably, otherwise a super great list! Would love Forney top 5! 

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

No Aledo? Would be super shocked if they weren't in, but anything can happen, and they do go on pretty early so that could hurt them, but should be in finals relatively comfortably, otherwise a super great list! Would love Forney top 5! 

I FORGOT ALEDO 😭😭😭😭 I’D PUT THEM IN 6TH AND MOVE EVRRYONE DOWN

Seeing how McKinney North did at BOA and Area this and last season, is it possible to see them higher on the list? Mainly comparing to Hendrickson from this year, and Aledo from last year at BOA Waco. They were within .3 points of aledo last year and beat Hendrickson by 2.5 point this year. With both seasons doing equally well at area.

14 minutes ago, PenguinGuy said:

Seeing how McKinney North did at BOA and Area this and last season, is it possible to see them higher on the list? Mainly comparing to Hendrickson from this year, and Aledo from last year at BOA Waco. They were within .3 points of aledo last year and beat Hendrickson by 2.5 point this year. With both seasons doing equally well at area.

We definitely could, but you have to take into account that one, UIL is judged completely different than BOA, two, many of these programs have improved a ton over the past couple weeks and 3, we don't know how well they would do compared to these other programs that they haven't competed with since they have competed with them. Aledo is a completely different program this year compared to last year, so I personally wouldn't use last year's boa Waco results to heavily, as it's two different groups with two different shows, but I'm hoping they surprise us and place very high, LOVE THEIR SHOW SOOOO MUCH! 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, DallasFan said:

It’ll probably be an LISD sweep again but after what an incredible year Wakeland has, I hope they can keep it up and contend with Cedar Park for the gold. 

I expect bands like Hendrickson and Aledo to come out strong next year and maybe fight for a medal. Maybe even a Forney and McCallum.

*rouse not cedar park

2 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

1. Rouse *

2. Cedar Park *

3. Wakeland *

4. Leander *

5. Forney *

6. Aledo *

7. Hendrickson *

8. Lone Star ~

9. Friendswood *

10. Burleson Centennial ~

11. Roma #

12. McKinney North #

Finals Bubble:

Lebanon Trail

Richland

Foster 

Lake Benton

Key:

* = State Finalist Lock

friendswood is a lock, but lone star above them is on the fence?

I agree with these placements. Rouse, Cedar Park, and Wakeland have truly left a mark this season.

Rouse, sitting at the top, brings a show with some seriously challenging drill work. Their commitment to precision and musicality is evident, but the intricate drill formations mean that one small misstep could lead to a domino effect in certain sets. It's like watching a 5A drum corps take on a marching band performance, and it's fascinating to see their level of discipline and skill.

Cedar Park, in the second spot, offers a show that's simply stellar. Their performance is a testament to their exceptional skill and artistry. They perform with a precision and coordination that rivals the best drum corps. Their show's musicality, combined with complex drill work, creates a mesmerizing experience for the audience.

Wakeland, in the third position, is a musical powerhouse. Their incredible musicality is beautifully complemented by intricate drill formations, which are not only complex but also visually stunning. It's almost as if they've taken a page from the drum corps book with their precision and the seamless integration of music and movement.

The "Finals Bubble" adds an exciting twist to the competition, with Lebanon Trail, Richland, Foster, and Lake Benton all vying for a spot in the finals. These bands bring their unique strengths and creativity to the table, making the finals a tantalizing spectacle of talent.

4 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Thing with Lone Star is that the judges always screw them over. I have them higher for the fact I want them over Friendswood, but it really depends if the judges like it.

Also, Lonestars Show is very mediocre this year. Their music is good, but their drill needs improvement. Additionally, their drill doesn't compare to some of the bands ahead of them. Personally, I preferred last year's show.

31 minutes ago, SaxMeow said:

curious for anyone who saw them at area - do you feel like burleson centennial’s performances were their best? just trying to gain context for richland beating them and if that’s something we can count on happening at state as well. i know richland had tempo issues in both performances but still got second, so i wonder if something similar happened to BC. 

I saw them live for the first time on Saturday night but have watched videos of all their other performances. I heard a little bit of a tear in the battery early on that I hadn’t heard in any of the other performances. I thought they looked clean visually other than a couple slips on the wet turf. Guard was really good. They had the second earliest slot in prelims so you know that was a super long day. I think the dome will be good for them and they finally got a good draw with their performance time. 

I’m someone who only really knows about Area C so I can’t talk about the other schools but I can about these four.

Forney: Amazing this year as always and their show is very good and it blew me away.

North Mesquite: Their first time going to state with this AMAZING show. Personally my 2nd favorite out of this Area and so glad to see a Latin-style show.

Poteet: I can’t say much as I missed their performance but I’ve heard they’re still very good. Even though they aren’t the way they used to be their show is one to watch 

Pine Tree: 1st time going to state in 38 years for this band I believe? I would personally love to see this band in finals considering I LOVED their show at Area, but knowing the amount of amazing bands here it will be very unlikely. 

(Sorry for deleting noticed some errors)

Just now, tennertrumbow said:

1. you don’t talk like someone named “BandMom” 

2. our props do make sense?

3. you seem to have a very personal bone to pick with us. why?

you’d be surprise at how many parents I’ve seen act like this. but no worries, I love you guys and I hope you guys advance! I’m just worried about the judges since I know they tend to score y’all unfairly.

1 minute ago, tennertrumbow said:

nvm deleted my reply. im not tryna fight with people on a band forum bruh

if youre gonna let lone star live that rent free in your head then i consider our job done, our show is memorable :)

only reason I even jumped in is they talked about my area. I will defend my area with my LIFE.