On 9/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, LostChoirGuy said:

Rough draw for Keller (and Carroll) but they should hopefully be able to still make finals.  

11 hours ago, CosmicLimbo said:

Duncanville got 1st pretty easily at the US Bands Burleson regional albeit it was kind of expected for them to win here so gauging them against other Area B groups is a bit difficult. As for Southlake, they definitely are still in the bubble to make state as BOA results usually don’t align with the end results of this area. The only 3 programs Im feeling solid about are Keller, Waxahachie, and Coppell but even then this area could still find ways to shock us. 

South Grand Prairie??

13 hours ago, pancake said:

my updated predications (assuming 12 finalists)

1. coppell

2. keller

3. wax

4. bell

5. timber creek

6. slc

7. duncanville

8. keller central

9. lake ridge

10. haltom

11. hp

12. james martin

11 hours ago, Mellotrill said:

It's official-  Area B will have 12 finalists and advance 6 bands to state. In what is said to be the most difficult, or second most difficult Area next to Area C, this will certainly be an exciting competition! I predict:

1. Coppell (will be close with Wax)

2. Waxahachie (lowest they score at Area this year is 4th)

3. Southlake Carroll (production value is through the roof, and I suspect they will have cleaned up A LOT by area)

4. Keller (if Keller cleans up - lots of "dead" show design moments between excellent moments)

5. LD Bell (3-5 will be almost tied, so 5th is not bad at all for Bell here)

6. Timber Creek (show design holding TC back this year - might be bested by anyone from 7-10 range if there are any gaps in excellence)

7. Duncanville

8. JJ Pearce

9. Lake Highlands

10. Lake Ridge

11. Keller Central

12. Highland Park - welcome to 6A! :)

South Grand Prairie??

On 10/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, peshbandkid said:

Post BOA Dallas predictions 

1-2: Coppell, Keller

Although Coppell was ahead at Dallas, Keller still has a lot of cleaning to do so they'll be up here 

3-5: Waxahachie, Timber Creek, L.D. Bell

Bell really surprised me at Dallas this past weekend. I hope they can keep up their momentum and keep cleaning to get back to state. Waxahachie and Timber Creek will likely move up in my opinion.

6-8: Southlake Carroll, Keller Central, Duncanville

Carroll will be better than what they did at Dallas, so I do anticipate them to move up here. Keller Central should contend for state and based on what I have seen of Duncanville, they look better than last season and could possibly fight for state spot

9-12: Haltom, Highland Park, Lake Ridge, James Martin

Martin did make finals at Dallas, but there are no guarantees. Lake Ridge is very strong this year, as well as HP and Haltom. Honestly, I could see any combination of two schools here

South Grand Prairie??

32 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

Performing early means more time for you to be passed up. For a school like Keller or Southlake Carroll, it has significantly less an effect. For a bubble band, early performance times can be all the difference between a possible state appearances and a near miss 

what do you mean by passed up. are the later bands judged easier?

9 minutes ago, Cornbdhs said:

what do you mean by passed up. are the later bands judged easier?

The earlier bands have to have a very strong performance so that it sticks with the judges. In my senior year, we were first to perform in Area C (with Wylie going second) and made finals by just a point after some 25-30 bands. 

If you go early and don't impress immediately/dont have your best run, it becomes easier for judges to place several bands ahead. 

Key Example: 2015 BOA Grand National Finals. Hebron (coming off a first place finish in semis) goes second of all bands ad they go to third place.

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

unpopular opinion Duncanville is doing pretty good this year compared to last year's disaster of a show.

Disaster of a show is really harsh imo. They started a little rough last season but finished out with a 3rd place finish in prelims here and 8th place in finals. They didn’t make state but it was still a respectable show and finish. Also they were going through some director changes that year (and this year as well I think)

11 minutes ago, CosmicLimbo said:

Disaster of a show is really harsh imo. They started a little rough last season but finished out with a 3rd place finish in prelims here and 8th place in finals. They didn’t make state but it was still a respectable show and finish. Also they were going through some director changes that year (and this year as well I think)

True. 2019 Duncanville alumni here. In 2017, we had a marching director switch and the next few years were just.. yeah (not disastrous as some people are describing, just different director with different style choices). This year, I saw they had a new marching director and I decided to see the show. I cried. Perhaps I’m biased but don’t sleep on them this year. 

19 minutes ago, wef said:

how do yall feel about lakeridge? My school just moved up to 6a(legacy) so im pretty new to seeing allot of this bigger bands but when i saw lakeridge at region they sounded and marched pretty clean but im just curious how (in my opinion) the best MISD band is holding up to others in this area?

I saw them at UIL.  They're in my top 6 advancing to state.

15 hours ago, Cornbdhs said:

Does anyone know if South Grand Prairie is doing well this year. I know they got 3rd at Midlothian this year. Only to mansfield and lake highlands 

They're doing okay. I went to see them at UIL, and they sound really good, they just need to clean their marching up quite a bit. Lateral slides were kinda all over the place. I think they're getting back to the place they were when I was in the program, back 2013-2017, they just need some polish.