Results from Region 31 are in. No surprises, but here are the updated #'s:

21 with 1's:

Arlington, Cedar Hill, Lake Ridge, Legacy, Mansfield, Martin, Paschal, South Grand Prairie, Boswell, Keller Central, Chisholm Trail, Fossil Ridge, Keller, North Crowley, Timber Creek, Weatherford, Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Haltom, LD Bell, Trinity,

7 remaining bands certain to score 1 at Region:

Berkner
Lake Highlands
Highlands Park
Duncanville
Waxahachie
Richardson
JJ Pearce

2 or more needed from these 5 to have 12 Area Finalists and 6 advance to State:

DeSoto (1-1-1 last year)
Nimitz (1-1-1)
MacArthur (2-1-1)
Irving (2-1-2)
Skyline (DQ'd)

DeSoto and Nimitz will almost certainly get 1's again, so the chances of 30 total bands (or more) is high!

7 hours ago, Mellotrill said:

21 with 1's:

Arlington, Cedar Hill, Lake Ridge, Legacy, Mansfield, Martin, Paschal, South Grand Prairie, Boswell, Keller Central, Chisholm Trail, Fossil Ridge, Keller, North Crowley, Timber Creek, Weatherford, Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Haltom, LD Bell, Trinity,

Berkner
Lake Highlands
Highlands Park
Duncanville
Waxahachie
Richardson
JJ Pearce

DeSoto (1-1-1 last year)
Nimitz (1-1-1)
MacArthur (2-1-1)
Irving (2-1-2)
Skyline (DQ'd)

DeSoto and Nimitz will almost certainly get 1's again, so the chances of 30 total bands (or more) is high!

Let’s also not forget that Skyline earned all 1st division ratings from tough judges but was DQ’d due to a result of a Director action.

They very well could squeak out a 1 again. When they play at what they call “Uil volume” that band sounds and looks great.

Simply put, judges are paid to make a decision. The head judge would not allow a single judge to give two bands the same score. They would be instructed to choose one over the other. On the other hand two judges would be allowed to give the same score to two bands. That would mean the other judges scores would determine the bands ranking. There can initially be ties in ranking when scores are combined and converted to Ordinals. The 1999 UIL 4A SMBC had a three way tie in the middle of the pack after Finals. A detailed explanation for how an Ordinal tie is broken is available on the UIL website using that contest as an example.

http://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure

And yes, Finals were dominated by Area B bands that night. Good times!

22 hours ago, TexasWoo1999 said:

Let’s also not forget that Skyline earned all 1st division ratings from tough judges but was DQ’d due to a result of a Director action.

They very well could squeak out a 1 again. When they play at what they call “Uil volume” that band sounds and looks great.

What did their director do?

On 10/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mellotrill said:

21 with 1's:

Berkner
Lake Highlands
Highlands Park
Duncanville
Waxahachie
Richardson
JJ Pearce

DeSoto (1-1-1 last year)
Nimitz (1-1-1)
MacArthur (2-1-1)
Irving (2-1-2)
Skyline (DQ'd)

Nimitz and MacArthur both got 1’s. Safe to assume 6 to state and 12 in finals

13 minutes ago, pancake said:

my updated predications (assuming 12 finalists)

1. coppell

2. keller

3. wax

4. bell

5. timber creek

6. slc

7. duncanville

8. keller central

9. lake ridge

10. haltom

11. hp

12. james martin

Last year I predicted your top 7 would all have chances at making to state and I guess I was right since all 7 did manage to place within the top 5 in prelims and/or finals😂

20 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

Southlake has shown over the last two competitions they are not the same band from last year. I believe there is a good potential they would not make state.

Duncanville has not participated in anything so unless you have seen them personally it's anyone's guess.

Duncanville got 1st pretty easily at the US Bands Burleson regional albeit it was kind of expected for them to win here so gauging them against other Area B groups is a bit difficult. As for Southlake, they definitely are still in the bubble to make state as BOA results usually don’t align with the end results of this area. The only 3 programs Im feeling solid about are Keller, Waxahachie, and Coppell but even then this area could still find ways to shock us. 

1 hour ago, Mellotrill said:

It's official-  Area B will have 12 finalists and advance 6 bands to state. In what is said to be the most difficult, or second most difficult Area next to Area C, this will certainly be an exciting competition! I predict:

1. Coppell (will be close with Wax)

2. Waxahachie (lowest they score at Area this year is 4th)

3. Southlake Carroll (production value is through the roof, and I suspect they will have cleaned up A LOT by area)

4. Keller (if Keller cleans up - lots of "dead" show design moments between excellent moments)

5. LD Bell (3-5 will be almost tied, so 5th is not bad at all for Bell here)

6. Timber Creek (show design holding TC back this year - might be bested by anyone from 7-10 range if there are any gaps in excellence)

7. Duncanville

8. JJ Pearce

9. Lake Highlands

10. Lake Ridge

11. Keller Central

12. Highland Park - welcome to 6A! :)

LOTS of confidence in SLC! Unfortunately, I still have a great deal of reservations in them. Feeling more 4-7 range

1: Coppell - They seem like a clear winner in my books starting an area champion streak. I absolutely loved them in BOA Dallas and thought they should’ve overtaken Marcus.

2: Keller - Even though they haven’t done as well as last season so far, I am pretty confident that they improved a massive amount since BOA Dallas. 

3: Wax - Nothing much to say other than a definite lock for state.

4: LD Bell - They for sure won’t have to worry about not making state this year. They improved massively from last year but still, in my opinion, haven’t approached their 2019 show in terms of design, visuals, or music.

5: Timber Creek - they made state last year and could very well maintain that momentum.

6: SLC - I could see this band missing state but it all depends on their run and how much they’ve cleaned.