6 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

SGP is in finals bubble for me, really enjoyed their show!! I also can’t get enough of how pretty Ice Dance sounds!☺️☺️

They’re a band that does a good job of playing within themselves. Not too loud or too soft. Just the right amount of support in the sound at various volume levels.

1 hour ago, Vidal28 said:

State Worthy performances from Waxahachie and TC so far in this block, very great job by the both of them!!

I love how potent TC’s sound is! And how well the woodwinds shaped those phrases, all while maintaining great tuning. And those little da-DA moments in the big hits! Very easy for someone to play in the space but they stayed together very well.

9 minutes ago, QuicheBoard said:

Tell me more about TC, they didn’t place so well at BOA DFW so I’m wondering how much they improved

10th place was good considering the competition.

You can see my analysis for TC above your comment. They were a cleaner version of what I wrote today than at BOA Dallas. And maintained the integrity of the ensemble’s sound stronger as well.

Also today I think the woodwind feature in the closer could’ve been cleaner, it was a little unsteady. I think they were just nervous. 

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

27 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

They’re a band that does a good job of playing within themselves. Not too loud or too soft. Just the right amount of support in the sound at various volume levels.

One of the softer bands we’ve heard today for sure, but they all make the effort to have a characteristic sound on their horn, and it’s all you can ask for. Plus the theatrics and zaniness that often comes with a burton show haha

3 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I’ll add to that in saying they place solidly at a BOA Prosper or Waco, top half or just below it more than likely, it’s just more stacked typically. They have some timing issues in their woodwind features sometimes, but I can overlook it with the consistency and clarity of their tone, along with the brass of course, they give UIL judges very little to complain about haha. Aside from their explosive hit in the beginning they’re very inside-the-box clear and clean with their sound, no harshness to it at all! They’re just a very solid all-around group that is continuing to perform their show at a high level, they should make state without question for me

Definitely a contender. Love their sound

1 minute ago, Vidal28 said:

One of the softer bands we’ve heard today for sure, but they all make the effort to have a characteristic sound on their horn, and it’s all you can ask for. Plus the theatrics and zaniness that often comes with a burton show haha

Splendid analyses!

4 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Im gonna make some predictions for prelims placements as I see the bands go on. I’ll update this as time goes on. After the contest I’ll see how accurate I was:

•Keller

•Waxahachie 

•SLC

• Timber Creek

•Haltom 

•Berkner

- - - - - - Top 6

•Chisholm Trail

•SGP

•W. E. Boswell

•Richardson 

•Trinity 

•Mansfield

- - - - - - Finalists

•Weatherford

•Arlington

• Irving

•MacArthur

I’d quote yourself and continue this thread so that it shows on the latest page.

4 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Im gonna make some predictions for prelims placements as I see the bands go on. I’ll update this as time goes on. After the contest I’ll see how accurate I was:

•Keller

•Waxahachie 

•SLC

• Timber Creek

•Haltom 

•Berkner

- - - - - - Top 6

•Chisholm Trail

•SGP

•W. E. Boswell

•Richardson 

•Trinity 

•Mansfield

- - - - - - Finalists

•Weatherford

•Arlington

• Irving

•MacArthur

These bands are sooo good. I’m having a blast analyzing everything!

For me when I last saw HP at BOA my main issue with them I felt they had to work out were timing issues, there were quite a few in their show and today for the most part besides a few scant moments, they cleaned those up a lot, especially in the woodwind choir parts in their closer. My main concern with them today was tuning, especially with their soloists, although that’s not unique to them with the weather we’re having today. Something that needs adjusting between now and hopefully a finals performance from them! They had a great performance otherwise

1 minute ago, Vidal28 said:

For me when I last saw HP at BOA my main issue with them I felt they had to work out were timing issues, there were quite a few in their show and today for the most part besides a few scant moments, they cleaned those up a lot, especially in the woodwind choir parts in their closer. My main concern with them today was tuning, especially with their soloists, although that’s not unique to them with the weather we’re having today. Something that needs adjusting between now and hopefully a finals performance from them! They had a great performance otherwise

I see them as a higher quality version of SGP. Just played within themselves. Great, clean sounds all around! Loved the grantham woodwind feature! Superb control in those quick, articulated 8th-note sections.