Break

9:15- McKinney Boyd HS

9:30- Flower Mound HS

9:45- Hebron HS

10:00- Wylie East HS

10:15- Marcus HS

10:30- Rock Hill HS

11/12 accurate finalists picked! You did 2 better than me at Area B😱

5 of 6 state spots coming from block 2 of finals is interesting (granted, the big 3 were there). The finals were definitely loaded. Looking at prelim scores is always interesting to see the discrepancy of how different judges see ands different ways. Proud of how far OWB bent with a generally young band. Would love to see their numbers grow the next two years and see where things for in 2024. Good luck to the 6 moving on. 

14 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Same just finished!!! OMG THAT CLOSER!!! I’m once again just amazed! HOW ARE THEY THIS GOOD, ITS NOT FAIR!!!! They have already won San Antonio and state, sorry y’all 

I do have video of Hebron, I'm just not allowed to upload it until the end of the season.

Just took a look at results (I need to go look at area H next, I didn't even check results because I assumed Vandy would win but holy cow Vista Ridge!), and man does my heart hurt for Prosper. The tough thing about UIL competitions is that (unless retreat procedure has changed in the last year) because they don't announce actual scores you never really know how close or far you were from qualifying. But then to have to go look at those scores right after results are announced must be so frustrating to see that you were right there and just barely missed it. 

I am also absolutely shocked at the gaps between Marcus, FloMo, and Hebron. Shocked not meaning I disagree (I wasn't there and am still yet to see Hebron), but shocked a just how far ahead the judges seemed to think Hebron was. I could literally never imagine having to judge 3 absolutely incredible bands like that, but those gaps in the numbers in the subcaptions is something that I just don't think I've seen in the last decade or so from this area. 

16 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

Scores are really pretty irrelevant. They are a tool.

The ordinals tell you everything you need to know about how close something was.

Normally I would completely agree, and I didn't really do a good job of clarifying when I meant ordinals vs scores in my last comment. But I think at least to an extent, at UIL the scores are usually just arbitrary numbers with equidistant gaps between each band because the judges seem to basically just rank them in ordinals and give them a score from there (that's probably not what they do, but at least it's what it seems, sort of like how percussion is always judged in DCI), but the scores across the board with that big of a gap I think is at least worth noting.