Texas Marching Classic 2022 (Oct 8th, 2022)

I like how JBA has kinda become the fan favorite underdog. The shows they have put on the field over the past few years really connect with people which is great. The improvements they’ve made over the last few years have been amazing! I’m excited to see how they will do this year with such a tough field at this competition.

Prelims schedule:

9:30 Hutto

9:45 Hendrickson 

10:00 Weiss

10:15 James Madison 

10:30 Leander

BREAK

11:00 Tom C. Clark

11:15 Midway

11:30 Round Rock

11:45 Sandra Day O’Connor

12:00 Vista Ridge

BREAK

1:15 Stony Point

1:30 Dripping Springs

1:45 Winston Churchill 

2:00 Rouse

2:15 Ronald Reagan 

BREAK

2:45 McNeil

3:00 John B. Alexander 

3:15 Cedar Park 

3:30 Louis D. Brandeis 

3:45 Vandegrift 

It's possible to be top 8, JBA has been growing and a few of the students had expressed how they were excited for this season with the positivity they received over the last season. They placed 1st at McAllen with a 74.3--, similar to Leander yet entirely different marching environments so we can't go based off of numbers. 

Although, it's 2 weeks from now and Leander typically does a good job with improvement between competitions and they're likely going to take yesterday's feedback and build from there. JBA hasn't competed since McAllen so their feedback may be a little outdated assuming they won't have judges at their festival. I personally find it hard to say one might surpass the other but I think it'll be an interesting night for sure.

1 hour ago, RoseGoldRevival said:

It's possible to be top 8, JBA has been growing and a few of the students had expressed how they were excited for this season with the positivity they received over the last season. They placed 1st at McAllen with a 74.3--, similar to Leander yet entirely different marching environments so we can't go based off of numbers. 

Although, it's 2 weeks from now and Leander typically does a good job with improvement between competitions and they're likely going to take yesterday's feedback and build from there. JBA hasn't competed since McAllen so their feedback may be a little outdated assuming they won't have judges at their festival. I personally find it hard to say one might surpass the other but I think it'll be an interesting night for sure.

I think it will be an very interesting contest. The field is extremely stacked and from what I saw this weekend breaking top 10 will be quite the uphill battle no matter who it is. 

The growth that JBA has had over the past few years has been incredible and it would be quite amazing if they did. I’m honestly hoping that they break top 10.

2 minutes ago, Josegjr said:

I think it will be an very interesting contest. The field is extremely stacked and from what I saw this weekend breaking top 10 will be quite the uphill battle no matter who it is. 

The growth that JBA has had over the past few years has been incredible and it would be quite amazing if they did. I’m honestly hoping that they break top 10.

Agreed. As someone who grew up with a brother in a valley band, I'm extremely passionate for Southern Texas bands breaking into the North Texas marching field. I'm looking forward to JBAs season! 

5 minutes ago, RoseGoldRevival said:

Agreed. As someone who grew up with a brother in a valley band, I'm extremely passionate for Southern Texas bands breaking into the North Texas marching field. I'm looking forward to JBAs season! 

I’m an alumni of JBA class of 04’. I’m extremely proud of what they’ve done I wish we were even half of the band that they are now. We couldn’t even make finals back then.

Edited by Josegjr

10 minutes ago, urmom292 said:

Hope Y’all are ready for these spicy predictions. I have seen all of these shows and this is how I feel they will perform in 2 weeks at TMC.

Vandergrift

Cedar Ridge

Ronald Reagan

Cedar Park

Rouse

Round Rock

Vista Ridge

Hendrickson

Dripping Springs 

Leander

JBA

Louis D. Brandies

Cedar Ridge wont compete in this event. They perform in exhibition. Definitely a can't miss though!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Talia said:

Predictions:

The Favorite -

1. Vandegrift (Music, GE, [Potentially Visual]) - No real surprise here for me, with the full show now on the field I believe they will win this competition, maybe setting a new record score in the process.

(2-3 Group) Medal Prospects -

2. Cedar Park - At this point in the season, I believe they have a stronger show then Regan, but that could easily be wrong, If they do place above Regan, I believe that they wont win a caption, but their overall impact on the field will get them there.

3. Ronald Regan (Most likely Visual)- I saw their show early season through a football stream and really expected them to win BOA San Antonio and dominate the season, but the results at Katy surprised me to be honest. The show looked very clean and what they are doing visually is crazy. For me the thing that lets this show down is the music, its played well, but the impact just isn't the same 

(4-7 Group) Possible Medal Contenders-

4. Vista Ridge - This one is hard, the show will blossom in the later season, but I don't know the state its currently in. I wanted to put them into the top 3 but If I did I would be discounting previous results of the season. They are getting there, just not there yet.

5. Rouse - Good BOA Austin performance

6. Round Rock - Love the direction of the show this year!

7. Leander - I feel like with more on field content, the show will mean more at this competition, therefore doing much better.

(8-12 Group) Lower Half -

8. Hendrickson - Their show is MADE for a crowd, I love their energy, just think it could use a little more time to develop.

9. JBA - I haven't watched their show recently, But I would imagine they will slot in around here.

10. Dripping Springs - A personal favorite of mine, hope they do really well for themselves!

(11-12 Group) "The Bubble" -

11. McNeil

12. Weiss

I'm so ready for this competition!

I agree with most of this, although I think Brandeis should be added to the bubble

2 hours ago, lhbenlee said:

Anyone else’s bands have a lot of kids out of sick? Something is going around Leander HS and a large number of kids in band, football, etc… are out. I heard Rouse was hit too. 

I’m scared we’ll have a lot of holes this weekend :(!!! Which SUCKS because the show is really coming together after their BOA Austin performance. I hope they all get well soon…. :(

3 hours ago, lhbenlee said:

Anyone else’s bands have a lot of kids out of sick? Something is going around Leander HS and a large number of kids in band, football, etc… are out. I heard Rouse was hit too. 

Yep! Tis the season. Covid and some other weird things going around right now. 

16 hours ago, lhbenlee said:

yea we had that sickness hit us last week but we got most of the people that got sick back

On 10/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, urmom292 said:

D653430F-C056-4EC5-BF29-81F1C39E3C72.thumb.jpeg.7f03287770411da0bfc43b6fd3a68074.jpeg Sorry I keep posting on here but this competition is going to be a big one for sure and these are my revised predictions if anyone cared. I also want to know what y’all’s predictions are cause i’m curious?

Don’t feel bad for posting frequently, after all that’s the purpose of the forum! We love hearing everyone’s opinions here and discussing our thoughts and analyzing shows together. A lot of us have become great friends because of this place that even translate away from the forum. So please, feel free to enjoy your time here and don’t feel like you shouldn’t be contributing to the conversation just as much as the rest of us. 

Some may not be as active as we used to be, but there will always be someone here to talk to. Most of us alumni will circle back here rather frequently even when life gets in the way too so you’ll never know who you end up sparking a conversation with. 

This is a heavy contest. I can see things going a few ways in finals but this is my final guess:

1. Vandegrift H.S., TX  - They are going to win by 2.0+ points
2. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX  They are going to win visual pushing them above Cedar Park by the smallest of margins. 
3. Cedar Park H.S., TX  It hurts to put such a great conceived, played, and performed show in 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show in 2nd
4. Round Rock H.S., TX  They made strides and cleaned this show up considerably. After the last few years it feels oddly great to put the Dragons this high at this contest
5. Vista Ridge H.S., TX This show is cleaning up nicely but I think they will fall below the Dragon at this show. At the end of the year they will overcome Round Rock but not yet. 
6. Rouse H.S., TX  Not too much of a change the last few weeks. They have supposedly hit hard by COVID. 
7. Hendrickson H.S., TX  They are pushing hard to Grand Nats. 
8.Leander H.S., TX  Big improvement from BOA Austin. They aren't playing like Leander of near past but they are marching the show well.
9. Dripping Springs H.S., TX  Huge strides made in bringing this band back to prominence with a well thought out and played show.
These last 3 can go any way

10. John B. Alexander H.S., TX  My favorite dark horse in every contest  

11. Louis D. Brandeis H.S., TX  Up and coming band. They will learn a lot from this contest.
12. McNeil H.S., TX  They always seem to be on the bubble. This contest brings them to finals.