2022 BOA Midland (Oct. 8)

1 hour ago, Spitfire78 said:

Wow. Permian got a cold/flat instrument morning slot.

Mojo usually goes later in the day. Looks like they paid a little more attention to distance traveled in scheduling 

A couple of years ago, Mansfield High pretty much had to get on the bus right after the football game for their morning slot.

They’re after two probably finalists/top half finalists, they’ll be fine.  Especially this year 😈

39 minutes ago, Trumpetmaster728 said:

Clovis definitely has a chance for top three in my opinion. 

I think they’re definite top half.  Johnson is going to be hard for anyone to beat IMO.  My top half are:

1. Johnson

2-6. Braswell/Clovis/Lake Ridge/Permian/Sachse

Azle and Del Rio could sneak in there. Summit too.  Sharyland did well at McAllen too. 

12 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

I think they’re definite top half.  Johnson is going to be hard for anyone to beat IMO.  My top half are:

1. Johnson

2-6. Braswell/Clovis/Lake Ridge/Permian/Sachse

Azle and Del Rio could sneak in there. Summit too.  Sharyland did well at McAllen too. 

I don’t think Sacshe will be that high. They are not the same program as last year in terms of difficulty and cleanliness. I’m thinking no higher than 8th, but Summit and Azle definitely have them, probably del rio. I’d have them 10th—12th, but i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make finals, but that would be hard.

Prelim Results:

Class A:

1. Pecos H.S., TX
2. TLCA H.S., TX
3. Tulia H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance: Pecos H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: Pecos H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect: Pecos H.S., TX

Class AA:

1. Sharyland H.S., TX
2. Piedmont H.S., OK
3. Plainview H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance: Sharyland H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: Sharyland H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect: Sharyland H.S., TX

Class AAA:

1. Clovis H.S., NM
2. Azle H.S., TX
3. Summit H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance: Clovis H.S., NM
Outstanding Visual Performance: Clovis H.S., NM
Outstanding General Effect: Clovis H.S., NM

Class AAAA:

1. M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
2. Lake Ridge H.S., TX
3. Sachse H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance: M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect: M.G. Johnson H.S., TX

Finalists:

Midland H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Braswell H.S., TX
Sachse H.S., TX
Lake Ridge H.S., TX
Clovis H.S., NM
Summit H.S., TX
Permian H.S., TX
Azle H.S., TX
Del Rio H.S., TX
Sharyland H.S., TX
Fossil Ridge H.S., TX

Finals Schedule:

7:30 PM - Sharyland H.S., TX
7:45 PM - Fossil Ridge H.S., TX
8:00 PM - Midland H.S., TX
8:15 PM - Del Rio H.S., TX
8:30 PM - Azle H.S., TX
8:45 PM - Summit H.S., TX

9:00 PM - M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
9:15 PM - Permian H.S., TX
9:30 PM - Sachse H.S., TX
9:45 PM - Clovis H.S., NM
10:00 PM - Lake Ridge H.S., TX
10:15 PM - Braswell H.S., TX
10:30 PM - Pecos H.S., TX (Class A Exhibition)
11:00 PM - Finals Awards Ceremony

On 10/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I don’t think Sacshe will be that high. They are not the same program as last year in terms of difficulty and cleanliness. I’m thinking no higher than 8th, but Summit and Azle definitely have them, probably del rio. I’d have them 10th—12th, but i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make finals, but that would be hard.

👀 

1 hour ago, Trumpetmaster728 said:

Lake ridge scores above sachse in prelims then drops below them by 3 spots? Something doesn’t seem right…

They had tech issues. None of their mics worked in their finals performance. It was a bummer to watch because they performed extremely well. If not for that, they’d be right up top. 

On 10/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, Tubalord11 said:

but congrats to everyone here! really happy that Summit was still able to slip in with the massive staff change! I think in 2-3 years, maybe less, these guys will be back towards the top! 

I gotta admit, as fired up as Legacy was after their 10th place finish at Area last year, (which is still really good) I thought they would come back strong and take up the mantle from Summit who is having to completely reorganize.

I didn't see Lake Ridge coming - and I should have. Mr Bonebreak's programs are as solid as they ever were at Summit.

Well, that's another one for the books.

Congrats to Moe & Gene Johnson for the regional win. The improvement over the last few years has been astounding!

I've ran parking before, but this was my first time in action, so to speak. Everyone was lovely and all ready for band. I've asked volunteers what they enjoy about Midland each year, and the most common response I've received was how laid-back everyone is and how well the rules were respected consistently.

I've also received a few credible complaints about the difficulty of reaching the stadium for the disabled with the lack of disabled parking spots- I think this is a valid concern and will pass on the comments to BOA/MFA.

Thanks to Midland Legacy for their hard work today to ensure the competition is ran well. We've had wonderful volunteers to help direct traffic and everything else in between.

20 hours ago, Spitfire78 said:

I gotta admit, as fired up as Legacy was after their 10th place finish at Area last year, (which is still really good) I thought they would come back strong and take up the mantle from Summit who is having to completely reorganize.

I didn't see Lake Ridge coming - and I should have. Mr Bonebreak's programs are as solid as they ever were at Summit.

I think you may be mistaking Mansfield Legacy and Midland Legacy (formerly Midland Lee).  Mansfield Legacy did not compete here.