Texas Marching Classic 2019

Why would it be a shock? They did well last year...likely would’ve been 2nd or 3rd if they hadn’t been rained out in finals. Are they signed up for another contest that weekend?

Let’s just say they were unhappy with how it was handled when they were the only band rained out of finals. Personally I don’t know that the festival leaders did anything wrong at all in how they decided to handle it, and maybe the policy was already in place to do it that way if weather prevented a band from finishing, but the leaders and parents at LT were unhappy about their prelims run not counting as their finals score. They had to be considered an exhibition band instead.

Hey it’s happened to others including Leander, on the big stage so to speak, and there is simply no way to please everyone. Hopefully LT will come back after all, but I would be surprised. Not giving up hope though. I think very highly of Lake Travis.

Let’s just say they were unhappy with how it was handled when they were the only band rained out of finals. Personally I don’t know that the festival leaders did anything wrong at all in how they decided to handle it, and maybe the policy was already in place to do it that way if weather prevented a band from finishing, but the leaders and parents at LT were unhappy about their prelims run not counting as their finals score. They had to be considered an exhibition band instead.

Hey it’s happened to others including Leander, on the big stage so to speak, and there is simply no way to please everyone. Hopefully LT will come back after all, but I would be surprised. Not giving up hope though. I think very highly of Lake Travis.

Sounds like beef to me

It was unfortunate, but to allow the prelims score would not have been appropriate. I wish they would have chose to be scored for the finals performance prior to them literally pulling the plug. Hopefully they will come back this year.

was Lake Travis staff actually upset with how TMC handled it or was that just speculation on here? Seems clear to me that TMC was only acting in the interest of the safety of Lake Travis students and that there wasn't really any other way to handle the situation. If their staff perceived it as some kind of slight or injustice, one that would make them not want to return, then that would just be silly, unprofessional, and unsportsmanlike in my humble opinion. I can only hope that that wasn't actually the case.

was Lake Travis staff actually upset with how TMC handled it or was that just speculation on here? Seems clear to me that TMC was only acting in the interest of the safety of Lake Travis students and that there wasn't really any other way to handle the situation. If their staff perceived it as some kind of slight or injustice, one that would make them not want to return, then that would just be silly, unprofessional, and unsportsmanlike in my humble opinion. I can only hope that that wasn't actually the case.

It wasn’t speculation. And I understand that they were upset. It’s ok to be upset over not having your performance count. I’m not trying to say it’s a huge deal at all. I’m just saying that I sure hope they come back but I won’t be surprised if they don’t.

I wasn’t trying to start a flame war. Now I wish I hadn’t made the comment at all. :/

If their staff perceived it as some kind of slight or injustice, one that would make them not want to return, then that would just be silly, unprofessional, and unsportsmanlike in my humble opinion. I can only hope that that wasn't actually the case.

You might be surprised how much this happens in the band world.

It wasn’t speculation. And I understand that they were upset. It’s ok to be upset over not having your performance count. I’m not trying to say it’s a huge deal at all. I’m just saying that I sure hope they come back but I won’t be surprised if they don’t.

I wasn’t trying to start a flame war. Now I wish I hadn’t made the comment at all. :/

I’m glad you commented. Their score could’ve counted, but it seems they wanted only the preliminary score to count and this was not on the table. There were factors which affected some of the band’s prelims scores more than others... the winds were over 30 mph and props and flags were all over the place during many of the later prelim performances. The winds died down considerably for finals but started up again toward the final bands.

I mean perhaps I’m reading too much into just how upset they were because I totally understand being disappointed at not having a finals placement, especially when it seems pretty clear they would have medaled, but I firmly believe there’s nothing else that could have been done as using their prelims score wouldn’t be fair and the only other option would be negating finals scores for all bands which seems a bit extreme, considering only one band got rained out. And after all, performing the show at such a high level is a reward in and of itself anyway, regardless of whether or not you’re being scored

Personally, I think the best route would have been to do both. The prelims score should have counted in finals due to the circumstances. Then the weather robbed them of their finals run, so an exhibition would be the best thing next to a judged finals run.

Oh well. It happened in October and there's not a whole lot a few forum users can do about it. Created some good discussion though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Locks:

Bowie

Rouse

Leander

Hendrickson

Reagan

Hays

Vandegrift

Upper bubble:

Clements

Stevens

Brandies

Belton

O'Connor

Lower bubble:

McNeil

Copperas Cove

Midway

Akins

Georgetown

Lockhart

Shot in the dark predictions:

1: Reagan

2: Leander

3: Vandegrift

4: Hendrickson

5: Bowie

6: Rouse

7: Hays

8: Brandies

9: Stevens

10: Clements

For me:

1) Vandegrift

2) Ronald Reagan

3) Leander

4) Hendrickson

5) James Bowie

6) Rouse

7) Jack C. Hays

8) Clements

9) Sandra Day O'Connor

10) Louis D. Brandeis

Just outside of finals, could sneak in (alphabetical order):

Georgetown, John Paul Stevens, McNeil, Midway

Nice! In my opinion, I dont know if O'connor is doing so good and seem to not be as clean as other schools like Stevens.

Nice! In my opinion, I dont know if O'connor is doing so good and seem to not be as clean as other schools like Stevens.

They had their very highly regarded head director leave after 2017 so 2018 was a transition year for them. I agree they werent as strong as we are used to seeing from them, but they did better than I expected from them. They were also quite a bit smaller than they used to be. Hopefully they are back up to their usual standard this year!

They had their very highly regarded head director leave after 2017 so 2018 was a transition year for them. I agree they werent as strong as we are used to seeing from them, but they did better than I expected from them. They were also quite a bit smaller than they used to be. Hopefully they are back up to their usual standard this year!

While all of this is true you are leaving out a couple key parts. First, they didn't just lose there great head director they lost all 4 of their directors. This can suggest a complete different style of marching because they have a whole new group of leadership. Also, I know some mello players i their band and have said that their numbers went from about 400 to 320 because so many kids quit due to the directors. Lastly, this next year will be the big test as it will be the first real show these directors will put together by themselves. In conclusion, in no way did I want to bash your opinion but I wanted to give you further information in which you can take forward yourself.

While all of this is true you are leaving out a couple key parts. First, they didn't just lose there great head director they lost all 4 of their directors. This can suggest a complete different style of marching because they have a whole new group of leadership. Also, I know some mello players i their band and have said that their numbers went from about 400 to 320 because so many kids quit due to the directors. Lastly, this next year will be the big test as it will be the first real show these directors will put together by themselves. In conclusion, in no way did I want to bash your opinion but I wanted to give you further information in which you can take forward yourself.

Got it, sorry if I was giving out false info! I look forward to seeing their show!

Not as of 2019, no

I am aware they used to be very good, but fell off a bit in the early 2010s. However, they placed higher at area this year than they have since I believe 2010, so it looks like they may be on the rise again.