Area I 2018

CyFalls Flute Dad

I don't mean to throw shade at anyone, I know Cypress Ranch had no shot at state this year. The lineup was simply too strong for us to compete with. Bands like Langham, Falls, Fair, and Seven Lakes have way more experience and all the bands performing at finals last night were truly good.  However, I do feel that in terms of music we had a real shot at competition but I simply want to know what people's opinion was of our band. I don't mean to throw any shade here, I just want to know where we messed up in order to improve for next year. At the end of the day the judges all said 10th in the music category and I accept that, I simply want to know why.

I understand BOA and UIL have two different scoring systems, but I still wanted to place this here for comparison. I know it means nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

BOA CONROE PRELIMS: 

Cy Fair - 82.450

Seven Lakes - 82.350

Taylor - 79.650

Katy - 70.950

AREA FINALS

Katy - 14

Seven Lakes - 19

Cy Fair - 20

Taylor - 21

All judges believed Katy to be State worthy.

1 judge did not think Jersey Village was State worthy.

2 judges did not think Cy Fair, Seven Lakes, and Taylor were State worthy. 

Katy beating 3 BOA Conroe Finalists, and by a reasonable margin, is probably the biggest surprise I've ever seen. I'm sure no one, not even HornRank or ANYONE on txbands saw them coming. Heck, even Danpod didn't even mention them in his pre-Area podcast! What a surprise. 

Excited to see how Katy and Jersey Village perform at State. But I also am VERY intrigued with how Taylor, Seven Lakes, and Cy Fair rank in comparison to them. Personally, I'm predicting the latter 3 all place higher than the former just because of the more consistent and respected judging reputation of the State judges relative to the Area judges. Should be a blast.

CyFalls Flute Dad

I don't mean to throw shade at anyone, I know Cypress Ranch had no shot at state this year. The lineup was simply too strong for us to compete with. Bands like Langham, Falls, Fair, and Seven Lakes have way more experience and all the bands performing at finals last night were truly good.  However, I do feel that in terms of music we had a real shot at competition but I simply want to know what people's opinion was of our band. I don't mean to throw any shade here, I just want to know where we messed up in order to improve for next year. At the end of the day the judges all said 10th in the music category and I accept that, I simply want to know why.

I thought CyRanch did great! I'm not a judge only a fan but I thought by far 7 Lakes was 1st, CyFair was second, JET was 3rd, CyFalls was fourth, and I had a conversation right before finals announcement with someone trying to determine who we thought was 5th Jersey Village or CyRanch. Unfortunately I believe there are some judging personality conflicts present which explains why Bridgeland couldn't even make finals

I’m a freshman baritone marcher from Langham Creek. Now I don’t have exact details, nor do I have 100% accurate details but I have a good idea of what occurred with the trumpet mic. We use a wireless mic for our trumpet soloist because he has multiple solos around the field unlike our English horn solo who has a regular mic at the front side line. Our trumpet soloist cannot turn off the mic, only electronics can. So we started our show and the trumpet mic is on. We all assume electronics will turn that off. They couldn’t and they unplugged some mics even our speaker mic. The trumpet mic stayed on the entire show until the last scene and we found out that something with the frequency made the wireless mic attach to the PA system in the stadium that the announcer is supposed to turn off. So the speakers that they announce the bands for weren’t turned off when they were supposed to. The speakers were so loud that the band including me, couldn’t think and focus. I got up early when the band was lying down because I couldn’t hear myself count. After the performance, our trumpet soloist was so angry at himself and he blamed himself for a mistake that was made by the stadium audio crew. Without the mic messing up, I think we could’ve had a fair chance at advancing to state. The seniors were all crying because this was the best show they’ve been in and to see it not go very far was disappointing. Langham may not have this much talent again, the amount of amazing juniors and seniors we had this year was spectacular. I loved the show this year, the prelims performance was the best we’ve had all year easily. I was disappointed that I didn’t get to see the reaction of the finals crowd like they did in prelims. Congratulations to all the bands that advanced. I hope they represent the Area I district well.

We use a wireless mic for our trumpet soloist because he has multiple solos around the field unlike our English horn solo who has a regular mic at the front side line. Our trumpet soloist cannot turn off the mic, only electronics can. So we started our show and the trumpet mic is on. We all assume electronics will turn that off. They couldn’t and they unplugged some mics even our speaker mic. The trumpet mic stayed on the entire show until the last scene and we found out that something with the frequency made the wireless mic attach to the PA system in the stadium that the announcer is supposed to turn off.

I was outside the stadium following our performance and the trumpet was clear as day. Felt really good coming off of our run, and while thinking 'that can't actually be happening again this season can it?' (also Hebron at BOA Bedford), it really was in the back of my mind at that moment. Seeing y'all coming off the field, the expression in everyone's faces confirmed it for me.

Just look the other way txbands.com way to throw some shade on your buddies. No tin foil hat necessary ony common sense!

My silly recordings only represent my views and do not represent those of anyone else on staff unless otherwise stated.

We can always disagree with results. It sparks good conversation and hopefully leads to understanding. My comment was meant to dispel any notion that the system is against certain programs.

This is not the only place where I read comments and my references are not limited to this forum board. I receive private messages every week from people who think the judges have it out for them. My comment was meant to reassure people that their program is not on a cork board in a judge's office with darts thrown at it.

Can't figure what they spent all these millions on this new Katy Stadium. It stinks for marching shows. All the seats are way too low! The parking is a joke. Nobody knows how to run the PA system

Langham Creek should have been given a redo. You can bet there would have been one.

Sad that they don't. I remember Cy-Fair (at Woodforest instead of Katy, but same point) having the same problem with the mic in 2016 at BOA Houston and 2017 at LSP

Can't figure what they spent all these millions on this new Katy Stadium. It stinks for marching shows. All the seats are way too low! The parking is a joke. Nobody knows how to run the PA system

Langham Creek should have been given a redo. You can bet there would have been one.

The newer HS stadiums being built are definitely not "marching band friendly" in terms of sight lines.

There's a rumor going on that some of the judges had relations to Katy and were fired because of this, I'm sure it's just gossip but everything does seem a little weird. yikes?

If this true the corrupt judges for Katy also conspired to put Jersey Village 2nd to give their plan cover. JV went from 9th in preliminaries to 2nd in finals. When has a band ever done this in UIL history?