2018 Director changes and how it will affect bands...

Tyler Jacks (graduate of my alumni too) is taking an assistant spot at Abilene High School. Knowing him personally, I wouldn't count Abilene out of area finals. Funny thing is that my roommate's dad is now his boss, being the principle there. I'll definitely be dropping by a football game or something to check them out!

Tyler Jacks (graduate of my alumni too) is taking an assistant spot at Abilene High School. Knowing him personally, I wouldn't count Abilene out of area finals. Funny thing is that my roommate's dad is now his boss, being the principle there. I'll definitely be dropping by a football game or something to check them out!

I’ll be at the LD Bell vs Abilene football game the night before BOA DFW so hopefully I will get a look at both bands!

It should be an interesting year, for sure. In the Austin area, we have Bowie, Hendrickson, Westwood, Cedar Ridge, and Round Rock that are all affected in some way with staff changes. My guess is that Bowie will fare the best and be the least affected with the changes. Hendrickson, Westwood, and Cedar Ridge will likely be affected the most and Round Rock affected the least of them all. It's just hard to tell in advance and there are so many factors to consider. A director that was very successful at one school will not necessarily do well at another previously successful program if the fit is not a good one and he/she doesn't match the DNA of the program. Conversely, sometimes a director that didn't do well in one program will have success at a different program. Sometimes there is push-back from the band and changes are not well received. I've seen all of these scenarios play out many times. My wish is that all of these programs flourish and do well for the students' sake. I hate seeing good programs drop off the map.

Hendrickson is in great hands. Mr.A was with the school in the beginning. Spent a few years away at Connally and Bowie then returned in 2016. He knows the program, the staff, the student body and the boosters. He was the preference for replacing Mr. G. by all and will carry on the successes REHHS has had for the past several years. Agreed that Bowie will benefit the most. Mr. G will be great for them.

It should be an interesting year, for sure. In the Austin area, we have Bowie, Hendrickson, Westwood, Cedar Ridge, and Round Rock that are all affected in some way with staff changes. My guess is that Bowie will fare the best and be the least affected with the changes. Hendrickson, Westwood, and Cedar Ridge will likely be affected the most and Round Rock affected the least of them all. It's just hard to tell in advance and there are so many factors to consider. A director that was very successful at one school will not necessarily do well at another previously successful program if the fit is not a good one and he/she doesn't match the DNA of the program. Conversely, sometimes a director that didn't do well in one program will have success at a different program. Sometimes there is push-back from the band and changes are not well received. I've seen all of these scenarios play out many times. My wish is that all of these programs flourish and do well for the students' sake. I hate seeing good programs drop off the map.

I agree, Vista Ridge might change and cedar park in about a year or so.

News on Anderson's new director, Scott Taylor. He went to UNT, aged out in 2016 with Santa Clara, student taught at Leander High School and Running Brushy Middle, and staffed at Homer Hanna and George Ranch's indoor drumline. That's just a summary I made, for more information go to http://andersontroja...uniform-shorts/ (The link isn't actually about shorts) 

Ryan Agard is stepping down as head band director at Dawson High School. He is being replaced by Aaron Brown, an assistant director at Friendswood High School. Interesting given the nature of the rivalry between the two schools. Friendswood has not announced a replacement for its assistant position as far as I know. 

Ryan Agard is stepping down as head band director at Dawson High School. He is being replaced by Aaron Brown, an assistant director at Friendswood High School. Interesting given the nature of the rivalry between the two schools. Friendswood has not announced a replacement for its assistant position as far as I know.

That explains them withdrawing from Honor Band!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working with Westwood as a tech this past week and all I can say is that the director change is not setting us back like I predicted. That being said, Westwood is out for blood and the sounds they are making at this point in the season are better than ever and the drill is more complicated than normal. Unless other schools are making similar strides, Westwood is gonna be far more of a player than any year before.

I've been working with Westwood as a tech this past week and all I can say is that the director change is not setting us back like I predicted. That being said, Westwood is out for blood and the sounds they are making at this point in the season are better than ever and the drill is more complicated than normal. Unless other schools are making similar strides, Westwood is gonna be far more of a player than any year before.

That’s awesome! I can’t wait to see them!

Last year the long time director, Keith Lancaster retired. Derek Woods is now the head director. Over the summer Caitlin Hall left(and went to Rouse)

The directors are now

Derek Woods

James Hairston

Jason Dye

David Duffy

Incase yall did not know where Duffy (from hendrickson) went

• 4 weeks later...

Churchill has had a few director swaps through the years. Last year they got a new Colorguard director and this year a new Percussion and Assistant director. Both the percussion and assistant directors had been techs for the last 4 years or so, so there really wont be a shift in power. As for percussion, the new director tends to go less intense note-wise than in years past. The energy and cleanliness will be on the rise though, so a good change. Overall, I think the director changes will end up helping the band than hurting them this year. Gonna be easy to track their progress through the season bc they post videos of every occasion on their youtube channel

• 5 weeks later...

Even with this change the Dawson band put on a strong performance at Friendswood. Beautiful and well performed music, but their show lacked GE. This director change doesn’t seem to have had much impact on the band so far. Pearland also experienced a director change, but only in one of the few that they have. Their head director is still there and continuing to lead the quickly improving band.