BOA St Louis 2018

Not a big fan of this Broken Arrow show, I have to admit. First of all, patriotic shows always leave me a little cold, because I think the patriotic elements can sometimes be used as a crutch for effect. But there are other issues as well -- first and foremost those leg capes. I know Cartwright likes his flags, but with those leg capes, it feels like there are flags on the field at all times. We cannot escape them. As a result, some of the drill ends up looking like a jumbled, monolithic mess of flags. It lacks finesse. (If I had suggested those leg capes, I would have made them removable.) Furthermore, there's a hint of familiarity to this visual program. The star drill looks like it was lifted out of Broken Arrow's 2011 production, and the graveyard crosses are lifted out of Cartwright's work with LD Bell in 2010. Obviously, there are a lot of other things that make this show an original patriotic production -- for one, it's almost refreshingly atavistic in parts, like the way they start the show like a military band -- but those few issues did leave a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The kids perform the heck out of it, obviously. There are some lapses in control of the form at the end, which I'm guessing will be mostly fixed by Nationals. Is Broken Arrow the next National Champion? I don't know.

As far as liking it, I like it just fine. Seeing it the second time, I am getting a little used to the things that bothered me the first time through. But as far as scoring potential, it's a fairly strong show. Much to clean up, obviously, but can do well at the GN's. Don't know if it will get to the top or not. Going to be fun finding out!

On another note, I like O'Fallon's chances on making the finals at the GN's this year.