BOA St Louis 2018

I like that Broken Arrow's show seemed more like a college style show with the formations that spell out words and stuff than typical. I wouldnt want it all of the time but it is a nice change up.

This is a little bit of my problem with the show. I enjoy it well enough, but it's perhaps the easiest show they've done in years and the easiest show of the front-runners heading to Indy. It's excellent, no doubt, but it lacks a fair amount of demand - especially musically. 

Some history booking!

• Dripping Springs has now made two Super Regional Finals outside of the state! The only other bands to have accomplished this are LD Bell, Haltom, and Westwood. If you count their 2004 exhibition, they have performed in 3 different Super Regionals' Finals.
  • Additionally, it is Dripping Springs's second class championship in 3A. They have won class championships in both 2A and 3A, historically. 
  • Congrats to Weiss for their first ever (Super-) Regional finals! They join a few other Texas bands in only making Super-Regionals Finals and no regional finals, including Clements and Westwood. 
  • Pflugerville ISD has now had every single one of its ensembles perform in a Regional Finals. They are one of very few districts in Texas with multiple schools to accomplish this. They join Lewisville ISD, Birdville ISD, Richardson ISD, and Keller ISD in this feat. Thus, they are the first outside of the DFW area to go for a full house. Round Rock ISD is one school off from this accomplishment. Edit: I forgot Spring ISD, which is a huge oversight on my part. Therefore, PfISD is more accurately the first to accomplish this feat in the Austin Area (and San Antonio, for that matter). 
  • EDIT to add: Weiss has now made a Regionals finals in its second year as a competing band. In state, they tie Ronald Reagan for that record (Est. 1999, Finals x2 in 2000). Very technically, Weiss has the record for quickest appearance in a Super Regional Finals after establishment in the history of the country, beating CTJ's record by a year. However, Kennesaw Mountain and Ronald Reagan both likely would have accomplished this in one year had Super Regionals existed in that time. 

Finals Schedule

7:00 - University of Wisconsin (EXHIBITION)

7:15 - University H.S, IL (EXHIBITION)

7:30 - Blue Springs South H.S., MO

7:45 - Weiss H.S., TX

8:00 - Clovis H.S., NM

8:15 - Bentonville H.S., AR

8:30 - Grain Valley H.S., MO

8:45 - Morton H.S., IL

9:00 - Owasso H.S., OK

9:15 - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

9:30 - Dripping Springs H.S., TX

9:45 - O’Fallon Township H.S., IL

10:00 - Marian Catholic H.S., IL

10:15 - Blue Springs H.S., MO

10:30 - Jenks H.S., OK

10:45 - Lincoln-Way Community H.S., IL

11:00 - Western Carolina University (EXHIBITION)

Prelim Results

Class A

1st – University H.S., IL

2nd – Monticello H.S., IL

3rd - Berryhill H.S., OK

Outstanding Music Performance – University H.S., IL

Outstanding Visual Performance – University H.S., IL

Outstanding General Effect – University H.S., IL

Class AA

1st – Marian Catholic H.S., IL

2nd – Morton H.S., IL

3rd – Grain Valley H.S., MO

Outstanding Music Performance – Morton H.S., IL

Outstanding Visual Performance – Morton H.S., IL

Outstanding General Effect – Marian Catholic H.S., IL

Class AAA

1st – Dripping Springs H.S., TX

2nd – Clovis H.S., NM

3rd – Blue Springs South H.S., MO

Outstanding Music Performance – Clovis H.S., NM

Outstanding Visual Performance – Dripping Springs H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect – Dripping Springs H.S., TX

Class AAAA

1st – Broken Arrow H.S., OK

2nd – Blue Springs H.S., MO

3rd – Lincoln-Way Community H.S., IL

Outstanding Music Performance – Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Outstanding Visual Performance – Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Outstanding General Effect – Broken Arrow H.S., OK

So proud of Clovis! Often overshadowed by the many outstanding programs in TX but they have a very rich history of concert and marching excellence. Go Wildcat Marching Band!

#crossbeltsareawesome

#norvilhowellTHINK

Yeah, Clovis should be an adopted Texas band. They are close enough that they might as well be in Texas.

The high school I went to competed against Clovis quite a few times, they were always a band I looked forward to getting to see in person.  They're definitely the biggest voice in terms of BOA type programming/performance in this region of the southwest.  Though they've really started to outdo themselves since about 2012, this is the strongest I think they've ever been.  Topping Dripping Springs in the music caption is no small achievement.  Pretty awesome to see someone about an hour away from me competing and making finals on such a big stage in this activity!  

If you didn't catch them in prelims, you want to in finals.  Their preshow is something you don't want to miss.  

So pleased for Dripping Springs and Weiss- both of the Texas bands, both from Central Texas- got into finals. Fingers are crossed for DS tonight! They did an incredible job last night- I didn't hear Clovis, but they must have been incredible to beat DS in musical performace! I look forward to watching all the bands tonight.

Not a big fan of this Broken Arrow show, I have to admit. First of all, patriotic shows always leave me a little cold, because I think the patriotic elements can sometimes be used as a crutch for effect. But there are other issues as well -- first and foremost those leg capes. I know Cartwright likes his flags, but with those leg capes, it feels like there are flags on the field at all times. We cannot escape them. As a result, some of the drill ends up looking like a jumbled, monolithic mess of flags. It lacks finesse. (If I had suggested those leg capes, I would have made them removable.) Furthermore, there's a hint of familiarity to this visual program. The star drill looks like it was lifted out of Broken Arrow's 2011 production, and the graveyard crosses are lifted out of Cartwright's work with LD Bell in 2010. Obviously, there are a lot of other things that make this show an original patriotic production -- for one, it's almost refreshingly atavistic in parts, like the way they start the show like a military band -- but those few issues did leave a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The kids perform the heck out of it, obviously. There are some lapses in control of the form at the end, which I'm guessing will be mostly fixed by Nationals. Is Broken Arrow the next National Champion? I don't know.