BOA Dallas/Ft Worth

The Music Ensemble judge gave Hebron an 18.30.  I know that Hebron sounded great, but we can't deny that they had sound issues (whether it was their fault or not).  I'm not saying that they aren't deserving of 1st place, but that was by far the highest score given to any band by any judge.  Then they gave 2nd to Waxahachie and 3rd to Trinity?  And Coppell got 20th, Keller Central 25th, and Union 14th from them... I just don't understand.

Yeah literally 4 bands placed higher in music ge than Hebron, I know they had a mic issue but still I don’t think that should affecf it. Overall the judging is really inconsistent throughout, like trinity got 3rd in music ensemble and I’m not saying they didn’t deserve it but the fact that the judges had such differences in opinion I don’t really think the scores reflected the actual performances. That’s just me though

Music Ensemble judge clearly was watching some other show. IMO it is not fair to all the bands if his judging is so all over the place. Maybe BOA should have less contests but more judges at each contest and drop highest/lowest scores to prevent one judge from skewing the scores like this.

Bizarre scoring. Just all over the place! Can we really even count this competition as any kind of fair judgement on the bands we saw today??

I agree. It is really not quite fair to any of the bands. It does not give you an accurate representation of where anyone stood. 

Yes, actually, you can. The judges are using completely different criteria than you are to make their assessments. For them, it's not a matter of liking a band, but measuring against a standard - their standard. These guys are educated and experienced in this field and are able to judge more fairly than most of us. I may not agree with them sometimes, but respect their scores.

The criteria they’re using, which is on the adjudication handbook imo didn’t match up with the scores, it’s one thing if the scores matched the placements but its so inconsistent that it’s really hard to tell. I’m sorry but it’s hard for me to believe that out of the 30+ bands trinity had the 3rd best ensememble sound and they still didn’t make finals. It just doesn’t add up.

And what qualifies you to make this statement?

Just observing. ME Numbers are all over the place. Let's just take Byron Nelson as a random example. One music judge places them at 21st, another places same band at 10th. Yes one is individual, the other is ensemble, but it just seems off. 

Just observing. ME Numbers are all over the place. Let's just take Byron Nelson as a random example. One music judge places them at 21st, another places same band at 10th. Yes one is individual, the other is ensemble, but it just seems off. 

So you're a band director or music major or something that would actually qualify you to question these trained and knowledgeable persons? If you are, then please elaborate and give more detail on how the scores were incorrect. If they were and you know the difference, please let us know just what errors were made.

So you're a band director or music major or something that would actually qualify you to question these trained and knowledgeable persons? If you are, then please elaborate and give more detail on how the scores were incorrect. If they were and you know the difference, please let us know just what errors were made.

Relax...it's an observation and I am not the only one saying this. I'm going to take the high road and respectfully end this discussion now. Have a good night