Don't worry, you'll pick up the guard lingo as times goes by. I was heavily involved in guard activity for years and it took a while. I was a wind player and this is a different world. Different, but very fun!

I'm reading as much as I can find on the differences in classes and in the judging for each class. I definitely have a LOT to learn!

I'm reading as much as I can find on the differences in classes and in the judging for each class. I definitely have a LOT to learn!

Maybe this will help understand the divisions:

Division Class – The class the group will be competing in: A, Open, World or Regional A (color guard only).

• Regional A Class – Novice programs and performers.

• A Class – Beginning programs and performers.

• Open Class – The intermediate developmental level of performers.

• World Class – The most advanced programs and performers.

Division Subtype – Independent or Scholastic. Scholastic is represented by those whose membership comes from the SAME High School or a school that feeds to that particular High School. Independent is represented by those whose members are not necessarily associated with a particular school. Can be associated with a university.

Everyone who is not going to the Dallas WGI contest should come down to the TECA event down here at Madison High School! There are 60 programs performing, and you will get to see some really great ones such as Claudia Taylor Johnson, Steel, and our very own Madison varsity and jv guards! It will be a lot of fun and I hope you come down!

I won't be watching until the Power Regionals. I only want to pay for a month of FloMarching.

Leander 3-pointing the 2nd place group at San Antonio in Scholastic A is definitely something that should stick out to the Steering Committee. But they already review the top performers at each regional anyway. I didn't see Leander, so I don't know if they're so advanced that they belong in the Open class, but I do feel strongly that a group should only be promoted if the committee thinks that the group stands a chance of making finals at the World Championships in the next class up. Otherwise, I feel like you run the risk of depriving a group of that late-season success that they've earned. Still a bit too early to tell anyway. Scholastic A is always overloaded and kind of a mess. (Also, it's hardly a "beginner" class.)

Some results from prelims today with implications for Dayton.

Pebble Hills popped a nice score. I doubt it’ll get them moved up to Open, but if they continue in Class A, they’ll certainly lock for finals and perhaps into the top 10. I think for comparison, Leander would land somewhere between them and Coppell (but will need to see a video to confirm). Additionally in Class A, Keller and Westwood have good opening scores in WGI that should put them in the mix for Semis in Dayton. It’ll be easier to determine their finals chances later next month.

Klein Oak seems to want to win in two classes in two years! That’s an incredible score at this point, especially just entering their new class. And it looks as if Tompkins will chase them all the way to Dayton. Tompkins actually already beat their Power Regional score from last year. I think it shows that both units are going to pace each other well all season, and likely into Open Class finals.

Yes that was what I thought. I loved that show!

Man.....Avon color guard just put on a masterful production!!! Best I've seen all day. Just wow.

Avon was great, always blows my mind how much the top guards are capable of doing and executing in just a few minutes.  

Really enjoyed Shenehndowa as well, the spinning platform flag feature was cool.   

Avon was great, always blows my mind how much the top guards are capable of doing and executing in just a few minutes.

Really enjoyed Shenehndowa as well, the spinning platform flag feature was cool.

It is quite remarkable what these high school kids can do. And I'm curious how they made that platform spin!

Is your feed constantly glitching and going back and forward in time? Very annoying!

Looking forward to seeing Carmel and the Bluecoats guard!!

So heartbroken about Stoneman Douglas and the loss of one of their guard members. The Stoneman Douglas guard is an absolutely amazing, world class group that is going through what no group should have to go through. I hope we get to see them at some point this season.

No surprises result-wise so far, except seeing Tarpon Springs in third place at Tampa after prelims. Looks like it'll be Avon versus Carmel in Scholastic World, unless James Logan has something to say about it or there are significant improvements from other groups.

I'm guessing that Onyx's show is a little less campy this year, based on comments and the prelims results.

So heartbroken about Stoneman Douglas and the loss of one of their guard members. The Stoneman Douglas guard is an absolutely amazing, world class group that is going through what no group should have to go through. I hope we get to see them at some point this season.

No surprises result-wise so far, except seeing Tarpon Springs in third place at Tampa after prelims. Looks like it'll be Avon versus Carmel in Scholastic World, unless James Logan has something to say about it or there are significant improvements from other groups.

I'm guessing that Onyx's show is a little less campy this year, based on comments and the prelims results.

Onyx’s show is much more in the vein of Sleeping Giant, Blank Canvas, and Moving Still. What they do with the human body and the depth of how much is going on at once is pretty distinctly them, at least to my limited knowledge and eye of winter guard.