Broken Arrow Marching Band Invitational

Wow....I am really out of the loop in the Oklahoma scene.  Check out these 2016 results:

80.25 – Bentonville H.S., AR
79.65 – Coweta H.S., OK
79.10 – Kickapoo H.S., MO
77.85 – Byron Nelson H.S., TX
75.75 – Van Buren H.S., AR
75.35 – Camdenton H.S., MO
74.25 – Edmond Memorial H.S., OK
70.70 – Southmoore H.S., OK
69.75 – Blue Valley West H.S., KS
66.45 – Tahlequah H.S., OK
65.60 – Irondale H.S., MN
65.20 – Krum H.S., TX
Outstanding Music Performance – Coweta H.S., OK
Outstanding Visual Performance – (tie) Bentonville H.S., AR / Coweta H.S., OK
Outstanding General Effect – Bentonville H.S., AR

I really need to start following this contest more.  There are six different states represented here. It's like a condensed version of the St. Louis regional. First of all, Irondale decided to make the trip to Oklahoma all the way from Minnesota to attend a marching invitational! That's pretty amazing (and it's not even their first time to attend).  Can you imagine a band like Kennesaw Mountain deciding to show up to the Texas Marching Classic or the Birdville festival?

Apparently this contest used to be much larger and Texas bands only started attending a few years ago.  I wonder if we'll start to see more attend in the future.  Maybe it'll breath more life into the contest and other bands will decide to come back.

Yeah, I think #teamtexas will do very well here :).

The contest started to lose steam about the time the Mustang invitational started to pick it up. But as far as I know the only Texas bands that have attended that contest have been WF Rider and Rockwall unless that changes this year. But I also believe they have had multiple out of state groups from different states in the same year as well.

Yeah those Oklahoma invitationals are something else and this one is the least competitive by quite a stretch- LD Bell is going to Union's this year

Yeah, I'm not sure what your intent was with this comment - intent is often difficult to ascertain via text - but it reads extremely snarky and a bit obnoxious, esp to the bands that are attending this contest. Maybe you should make a thread to talk about Union's contest instead, where you can discuss its "competitiveness." Remember, when you're commenting about something...impact > intent. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what your intent was with this comment - intent is often difficult to ascertain via text - but it reads extremely snarky and a bit obnoxious, esp to the bands that are attending this contest. Maybe you should make a thread to talk about Union's contest instead, where you can discuss its "competitiveness." Remember, when you're commenting about something...impact > intent.

Definitely not my intent at all!! I just mean of the three major Oklahoma invitationals (owasso,BA, and union) this one draws fewer of the traditional BOA powerhouses than the others- no slight against the bands attending this competition as the scene in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri continues to get more and more impressive and with some stellar dallas programs attending- all 3 of them are on par with a full-fledged boa regional

Definitely not my intent at all!! I just mean of the three major Oklahoma invitationals (owasso,BA, and union) this one draws fewer of the traditional BOA powerhouses than the others- no slight against the bands attending this competition as the scene in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri continues to get more and more impressive and with some stellar dallas programs attending- all 3 of them are on par with a full-fledged boa regional

Thank you for clarifying. It was the "least competitive by quite a stretch" part that came off awkward and left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel the competitiveness of the competitions remains to be seen this early in the season - you never know which bands will bring more than expected and blow the tops off the audience and judges. I like seeing Texas bands branching out into competitions that are out-of-state. They get to go to places they've never been before and they get to see bands they've never seen. I'm looking forward to what the rest of marching season has in store.

Agreed- these are great competitions for burgeoning dallas area bands (and I suppose others if they're willing to make the trek) to compete in a national context with great bands on a BOA rubric, giving them a chance to flourish and grow in a way that competing at your local stacked boa regional and not making finals might not- and is just a sgreat for more established programs as well

Yeah those Oklahoma invitationals are something else and this one is the least competitive by quite a stretch- LD Bell is going to Union's this year

And it looks like Poteet went to last year's Union contest.

GE killed them, though they scored well in Music (the MPI judge had them in 3rd behind Owasso and Grain Valley).  The score sheet is almost verbatim BOA (they even use BOA judges), so it interestingly gives you an idea of how their scores would line up if Poteet ever went to BOA.

poteet's going again this year- alongside blue springs, owasso, bixby, jenks, bentonville, grain valley, and as I've already mentioned, bell. Should be fun to see how they stack up (my gut says 8th after all the above groups- though I suppose Kickapoo might have something to say about that)

Wish poteet did boa, particularly back in their hey day when they were racking up state championships- I'm sure they would have been perennial arlington finalists and could have even popped up in SA a few times. But it's great to see them committing to this contest and rubric

Some prelim results:

Class A: Whitesboro swept the class with best music, visual, and general effect. 

Class AA: Coweta swept the class with best music, visual, and general effect

1st place: Coweta

2nd place: Collinsville

Class AAA: Best music and visual: Richland; Best general effect: Kickapoo

1st place: Kickapoo

2nd place: Richland

3rd place: Edmond Memorial

Class AAAA: Haltom swept the class with best music, visual, and general effect

1st place: Haltom (!!!!)

2nd place: Moore

3rd place: Byron Nelson

WAY TO GO, HALTOM!!!! So proud of you all. *tears in eyes*

Now, it's time to gear up for finals. I don't have the finals schedule, yet. 

Congrats to all bands!!

Finals schedule:

7:00p - Bentonville West HS, AR

7:15p - Whitesboro HS, TX

7:30p - Collinsville HS, OK

7:45p - Byron Nelson HS, TX

8:00p - Cabot HS, AR

8:15p - Colleyville Heritage HS, TX

8:30p - Haltom HS, TX

8:45p - Coweta HS, OK

9:00p - Richland HS, TX

9:15p - Edmond Memorial HS, OK

9:30p - Kickapoo HS, MO

9:45p - Moore HS, OK

10:00p - Broken Arrow Exhibition Performance

http://www.brokenarrowpride.com/?page_id=5086

Final results:

12) 65.50 Whitesboro

11) 68.15 Cabot

10) 68.60 Bentonville West

09) 68.75 Collinsville

08) 69.45 Byron Nelson

07) 73.15 Colleyville Heritage

06) 74.00 Moore

05) 75.70 Edmond Memorial

04) 77.00 Coweta

03) 79.05 Kickapoo

02) 79.10 Richland

01) 79.80 Haltom (!!!) 

Music caption: Tie - Haltom & Kickapoo

Visual caption: Haltom

General Effect: Haltom

WAY TO GO, PRIDE OF HALTOM!!! I am seriously proud of y'all! 

And check out BISD taking home #1 & #2! YAS! Love it! What a fun contest to watch (even if it was live feed vs live lol) Haltom blew me away. All the bands gave their all. It was awesome!

This just.....warms my Texas heart.  The beauty....

Mustang, OK Invitational 

Finals Results

1. 78.40 Birdville, TX
2. 77.35 Edmond North, OK
3. 76.40 Westmoore, OK
4. 75.55 Southmoore, OK
5. 74.10 Stillwater, OK
6. 73.55 Edmond Santa Fe, OK
7. 71.90 Piedmont, OK
8. 68.95 Carl Albert, OK
9. 65.25 Putnam City West, OK
10. 64.60 Yukon, OK
11. 62.65 Sapulpa, OK
12. 59.30 Norman, OK

Music - Birdville, TX
Visual - Edmond North, OK
GE - Birdville, TX

Also, recaps from BA prelims and finals are now available.

Finals: http://www.brokenarrowpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/BAI17-Tab-Finals.pdf

Prelims: http://www.brokenarrowpride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/BAI17-Tab-Prelims.pdf

The recaps make a couple things clear about the relationship amidst the top 3 in finals.

First, Haltom and Richland basically destroyed everyone in the ensemble performance captions. I expected the music scores to be pretty high, seeing as how both are strong Texas groups, but I wasn't expecting a bit of a lead in visual ensemble as well.

Second, Kickapoo was turning out some GE scores that were pretty high compared to what many people were expecting. They were consistent in doing this both prelims and finals. They also had pretty solid individual performance scores. This allowed them to come pretty close to Haltom and Richland, notwithstanding their ensemble scores.

Third, Richland's scores were the most lopsided of the top 3. Out of the 7 judges, 4 put them in first: music ensemble, visual ensemble, and both music GE judges. However, their low individual performance scores slashed their otherwise high performance scores, and the visual general effect judge put them in sixth, which kept them from taking the GE caption in finals. I think this is a sign of growing pains for them, however, rather than simple instability.

Haltom was quite a bit quicker out of the gate, but I think this is a good year for both Richland and Haltom. Very proud of them both! And because it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'd like to give a shout-out to Byron Nelson who placed eighth in finals, moving up from ninth in prelims. Good for them! Glad they went to bolster the Texas presence.

YES! This was all over my facebook. What a weekend for BISD bands! Also, one of the things I thought was very cool about BAI...Richland and Haltom ate dinner together and just hung out, waiting for finals. When the contest was over, Haltom was asked to give an encore performance - which, to the parent telling the story, seemed odd because the stands were fairly empty at that point. Then, lo and behold, Richland showed back up and filled the stands, cheering Haltom on. When Haltom was finished, they collectively shouted, "Thank you, Richland!" and Richland band shouted back, "We love you, Haltom!" and just...that's what it's all about.

That is a fantastic story. And yes, that IS what it's all about.

Good stuff right there.