Best School Districts for Marching Band

Your point is very valid. I think my reasoning when I made this thread was more to discuss which school districts in general seem to put emphasis on marching band and the arts in general. For instance, in many cases, large trips such as to GNats or other super regionals are paid for by the school district. There are some that consistently pay for this to be done, which leads the schools to strive to perform better and be competitive, while others would rather put focus and funding towards other things. (Ex: southlake and sports)

Heh....well...if you find a Texas school district that puts as much emphasis on the Fine Arts as they do football, please let me know because I would like to salute them. 

I can't say for sure but I'm fairly certain that that HS football players don't have to pay along the lines of $1,000.00 in fees just to play football....

For what it’s worth, there are 6 schools in LISD and three are among the best in the nation, let alone state. And then the fourth is no slouch. So it’s a definite 2/3, with one potentially becoming a state finalist in a couple of weeks and another growing. Your overall point is well taken, however.

How about this: 4 of the 6 have medaled at the SMC in the last 4 years, 2 of them twice. And 1 of the 6 doesn't even have seniors yet.

Your point is very valid. I think my reasoning when I made this thread was more to discuss which school districts in general seem to put emphasis on marching band and the arts in general. For instance, in many cases, large trips such as to GNats or other super regionals are paid for by the school district. There are some that consistently pay for this to be done, which leads the schools to strive to perform better and be competitive, while others would rather put focus and funding towards other things. (Ex: southlake and sports)

The district definitely did NOT pay for us to do GN last year. We did a crap ton of fundraising (over $65K), and still had to pay roughly $1300 to Music Travel Consultants for the trip on top of our regular annual $450ish in band fees. But that's not to discount how supportive the district and school administrators at Leander are. Heck, our principal went on the trip with us and worked along side the band parents!

Honestly, I think its rare for school districts to have the funding for paying for trips like that, but there are some that will at least partially cover occasional things like GNats. That was a single extreme example to illustrate my point that certain school districts are just more conducive for bands to be successful than others.

Honestly, I think its rare for school districts to have the funding for paying for trips like that, but there are some that will at least partially cover occasional things like GNats. That was a single extreme example to illustrate my point that certain school districts are just more conducive for bands to be successful than others.

I would agree - there are some great districts that support the arts programs such as band, but at the end of the day I would assume all bands struggle with the cost. as many have mentioned before about moving GNATS around to allow for more bands to participate in GNATS due to the cost of taking a few hundred kids and tons of equipment half way across the country. I doubt there are too many (if any) districts that would cover the cost.

Hard to say about a whole ISD since most ISDs have schools that fall in various points along the marching band spectrum. Just for fun, lets try to put some numbers to this. 

Lewisville ISD has the big 3 (out of their 5 high schools, so 3/5=60% of their schools are good for marching band 

Leander ISD  has 5 high schools (of which 2,maybe 3 are consistently in the top and others are growing, so 40-60% of their district does well in marching band

Frisco ISD has 9 high schools of which 2 seem to stand out. That's 22%.

Coppell ISD has only one high school and they are consistent 6A state finalists- does that mean 100% of their district is good for marching band?

Keller ISD has 4 high schools, of which 2 (and now maybe 3) are doing well. Does that 75% put them higher than Lewisville ISD as a district?

NE ISD has some 7 or 8 schools I think, of which 3 do well.

I could go on....

So can you really compare ISD vs ISD? Its like apples and oranges. All you can probably say is some ISDs are more conducive to promoting a marching band culture. 

Remember this was just for fun, so don't tear me apart with my "analysis"

I have been in/around 3 of the districts mentioned above. I think the strength and focus of the program is dictated by the director that is put in place. what is their desire - to focus on great music (concert bands) - a great visual marching arts program - or the great ones that want it all - an honor band that play great music while they fly around the field. over the years we see bands that fall with the loss of a director or 2 and they may slump and with the right hire they may come back in following years - IMO, it takes 3 things

1. Director and team that have a vision and can motivate the kids  

2. Parents/Boosters that are willing to put in the time, hard work and yes - money either out of pocket or fundraising

3. A District that is supportive of the arts, and sees the marching arts as more than someone to play music for the drill team at half time

I have been in/around 3 of the districts mentioned above. I think the strength and focus of the program is dictated by the director that is put in place. what is their desire - to focus on great music (concert bands) - a great visual marching arts program - or the great ones that want it all - an honor band that play great music while they fly around the field. over the years we see bands that fall with the loss of a director or 2 and they may slump and with the right hire they may come back in following years - IMO, it takes 3 things

1. Director and team that have a vision and can motivate the kids  

2. Parents/Boosters that are willing to put in the time, hard work and yes - money either out of pocket or fundraising

3. A District that is supportive of the arts, and sees the marching arts as more than someone to play music for the drill team at half time

You hit the nail on the head. 

Apologies, I misspoke; looked it up again and they were 2-2-1

Oh yeah, that was a terrible run. Sun and wind facing us. We came unprepared for the conditions and still tired from St. Louis. One of the best things to come out of that was the fact that I winked at the camera.

Oh yeah, that was a terrible run. Sun and wind facing us. We came unprepared for the conditions and still tired from St. Louis. One of the best things to come out of that was the fact that I winked at the camera.

Now that, my friend, is legendary. I consider you a god now. What corps are you going to go into? Lol