It looks like Round Rock is back. Can't wait to see them play the long game for Nationals. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see them place in the top half of finals at nats.

It's going to be interesting to see where Reagan is at as well.

Totally agree, Doing a Dark Show this year seems to be working for them!  They have one of the best batteries they have had  in years and the battery feature with the band running fast past them is intense/ also a "strobe light effect" -  Love it!   With time, they will  only improve.  Can't wait to see what they bring to Conroe.  

Totally agree, Doing a Dark Show this year seems to be working for them!  They have one of the best batteries they have had  in years and the battery feature with the band running fast past them is intense/ also a "strobe light effect" -  Love it!   With time, they will  only improve.  Can't wait to see what they bring to Conroe.  

Totally agree. I was trying to think of the right words to describe the band running past the battery. Strobe light effect hits the nail on the head.

What are the BOA rules on putting mics on wind/percussion sections or an individual instrument or instruments? I know soloists usually have a microphone, but what about making your whose section or band sound bigger and louder by using mics? Just wondering...

It is allowed. Rules are at http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2017/Fall/Rulebook/2017_Rulebook_-_FINAL.pdf.  Section 21, part 21.03 allows amplification with no restriction on the application other than the usage, placement, running, power, etc. must all comply with the other rules. Practical implementation could be a challenge and if something goes wrong, then your show could be absolutely ruined. But it is up to the program to either take the risk or not.

What are the BOA rules on putting mics on wind/percussion sections or an individual instrument or instruments? I know soloists usually have a microphone, but what about making your whose section or band sound bigger and louder by using mics? Just wondering...

Perfectly fine. Two notable bands did this in Austin yesterday, and they both seemed to get the idea from their trip to Indy last year where almost half of finals did the same.

i believe it was the 2 that shared the music caption in finals... but I also believe there were more than just those 2

I watched every band in finals. It was only Leander and CTJ. Vandegrift did not (although you would think they did based on output alone).

I'm not thrilled by it, but I think it's going to be the way it is for band and DCI (five of the top six corps this year, plus Phantom) from now on. 

After BOA Austin, here are my predictions:

1) Ronald Reagan

2) Vandegrift

3) Leander

4) The Woodlands

5) Round Rock

6) Hendrickson

7) James Bowie

8) Coppell

9) Winston Churchill

10) TWCP

I placed TWHS so low because of the time they lost to Harvey, as well as the fact they are a notorious late-season bloomer. Additionally, I think Reagan will be able to bounce back from last season (and remember they won Conroe last year anyway), and I'm not entirely sure how high up to place Coppell so I put them in 8th. I think the top 9 are pretty much finals locks, and 10th could definitely go to a large amount of bands.

I watched every band in finals. It was only Leander and CTJ. Vandegrift did not (although you would think they did based on output alone).

I'm not thrilled by it, but I think it's going to be the way it is for band and DCI (five of the top six corps this year, plus Phantom) from now on. 

and both of those bands were at Grand Nats last November - where almost all used it in the finals - it appears to be a wave of the future

After BOA Austin, here are my predictions:

1) Ronald Reagan

2) Vandegrift

3) Leander

4) The Woodlands

5) Round Rock

6) Hendrickson

7) James Bowie

8) Coppell

9) Winston Churchill

10) TWCP

I placed TWHS so low because of the time they lost to Harvey, as well as the fact they are a notorious late-season bloomer. Additionally, I think Reagan will be able to bounce back from last season (and remember they won Conroe last year anyway), and I'm not entirely sure how high up to place Coppell so I put them in 8th. I think the top 9 are pretty much finals locks, and 10th could definitely go to a large amount of bands.

1. Vandy

2. Leander

3. Reagan

4. TWHS

5. Round Rock

6. Hendrickson

7. Churchill

8. Coppell

9. Bowie

10 TWCP

Wow. I would have thought Vandegrift did it. They were insanely loud, even on the livestream.

Hopefully as this trend grows it'll lead to some innovations in marching band. Looking forward to it. I welcome the change with open arms.

1. Vandy

2. Leander

3. Reagan

4. TWHS

5. Round Rock

6. Hendrickson

7. Churchill

8. Coppell

9. Bowie

10 TWCP

Round Rock just beat us (Leander) on Saturday, so I am anxious to see how it all plays out going forward.  Especially after each of the programs has a complete show and more time to polish!  I know Round Rock is getting set for Grand Nats, so I expect them to do really well from here on out.  I'm still in love with Leander's show, though.  I'm sure that is partly my bias of course, but I do just really love it!  I hope they'll do better in Conroe finals.  We always tend to do really well in prelims (we were 2nd place overall on Saturday in prelims behind CTJ), only to fall a bit in finals.  I'm hoping to see that trend stop now!

Round Rock just beat us (Leander) on Saturday, so I am anxious to see how it all plays out going forward.  Especially after each of the programs has a complete show and more time to polish!  I know Round Rock is getting set for Grand Nats, so I expect them to do really well from here on out.  I'm still in love with Leander's show, though.  I'm sure that is partly my bias of course, but I do just really love it!  I hope they'll do better in Conroe finals.  We always tend to do really well in prelims (we were 2nd place overall on Saturday in prelims behind CTJ), only to fall a bit in finals.  I'm hoping to see that trend stop now!

Round Rock did very well Saturday. Can't wait to see them represent Round Rock, TX well at Grand Nationals.

Regarding Leander, I dig the show. Good luck to them for the rest of the season :)

Round Rock and Leander were neck and neck at Austin Finals, But Leander had a 0.80 point lead on Round Rock in Prelims vs the 0.05 point lead Round Rock had in Finals. I think in most outcomes, Leander would beat Round Rock, but it's still very very close. less than a point no matter how you look at it. The Woodlands had to deal with Harvey and usually is a late bloomer so I think Round Rock would have a slight edge right now. I think Reagan is comparable to CTJ from Austin and even if they are not, CTJ still had a 3 point lead over Vandegrift which would contribute to a high finish for them. Hendrickson was 9th in Prelims; beaten by James Bowie but came on top at 7th in finals. Although Winston Churchill never beat Hendrickson at BOA Austin, They did beat Bowie in Finals. With Harvey and my general ignorance about the Houston Area I cant really predict outside of these bands.

What I think right now...

1. Ronald Reagan 

2. Vandegrift 

3. Leander 

4. Round Rock

5. The Woodlands 

6. Hendrickson

7. James Bowie

8. Winston Churchill

-----------------------------------------------

Bubble

OK! Moving past DFW down to Houston now... let's get some updated predictions rolling in! To start, I'll do my best...

Top 4: 

Vandy, Reagan, Leander, TWHS (in somewhat that order).

5. Round Rock

6. Hendrickson

7. Winston Churchill

8. Bowie

So far, these are pretty much based on BOA Austin rankings. Reagan usually has a strong early season, (opposite of TWHS). The last two spots will be pretty hard to predict I think. But I think the two most likely to slide in will be:

9. Cy-Fair

10. Coppell

Coppell just came in 11th earlier tonight, far behind Vista Ridge who came in 10th to a lot of these other groups last weekend. So if Coppell is in finals, I think they'll be in that last slot. However, they did get hit with some penalties, and they still have A LOT of their show to put on the field. 

Cy-Fair just seems like a safe bet for finals seeing how great they were last season. Giving recent trends, I have a hunch they'll slip ahead of Coppell, and possibly Bowie. We'll see!

Anyway: it's gonna be a great contest! Looking forward to watching it via livestream :)

Round Rock beat Leander in Austin finals, so if Leander is a contender to win, Round Rock is too imo. Obviously with Vandegrift beating them both and tying CTJ in Music they're also in the hunt for their second ever regional win.

Haven't seen enough of Reagan or TWHS to say for sure where they'll sit relative to the others, but based on history.

Depending on what Reagan brings, they could be on track for a threepeat. And of course, never count out The Woodlands.

This is your top five I'm guessing. Depending on circumstances, any of them could take it.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say I can absolutely see The Woodlands winning this. Their show is stupid good, perfectly designed for them, and the cleanliness at this point reminds me of how clean they were early on in 2013. I’m expecting great things.

Personal anecdotes about The Woodlands marching band the last 3 years:

Conversation with my wife in 2015 - She says "I don't think they are doing enough with their drill - not sure if they can make finals at GN". They squeaked in.

Conversation with my wife in 2016 - We just looked at each other with eyebrows raised - we were both thinking that show could be really good. And it got there at the end.

Conversation with my wife in 2017 - me: "Do they have a chance to take the eagle?" her: "They have a chance".

This will be a late blooming show, designed to peak at Indianapolis. But being clean now means more effect add later. I'm excited to finally see the show other than at a football game (so they'll have mostly completed props on the field). Of course, they have an away game on the 6th at Lufkin, so they'll be getting back home around 1 am Saturday morning. I vaguely remember being that young and being able to function at a high level with just 3 or 4 hours of sleep, so I think they'll be fine. I also prefer this to 2 years ago when they had a game Saturday night and therefore skipped finals. I know I am a heretic, but I prefer marching contests to football games...