BOA San Antonio- Weather/Warm Up

Many bands in the North Austin suburbs are being held at their schools due to the weather conditions by their school districts. Hopefully they can be rescheduled or fit in tomorrow.

Yeah I our band is stuck at school and last we heard I-35 is closed due to flooding.

They opened up an evening preliminary block for schools that are having trouble making it but it doesn't look good for them to make it there.

Dripping Springs here, currently sitting in our band hall. Us along with Leander, Vista, Hendrickson, Round Rock, and a few others will not be going tonight. Instead, the stuck bands are drawing for only five spots tomorrow. Bands that don't get drawn are pretty much just out of luck :/

Seriously?   So it's possible some bands will be getting left out?  Source?  Got anything more you can give?

Dripping Springs here, currently sitting in our band hall. Us along with Leander, Vista, Hendrickson, Round Rock, and a few others will not be going tonight. Instead, the stuck bands are drawing for only five spots tomorrow. Bands that don't get drawn are pretty much just out of luck :/

That's incredibly wild. And is extraordinarily counter to Music For All's mission of "positively life changing experiences." If this is what's going to happen, that's incredibly unfair. There are two medal contenders that could be left out due to a draw and every other band in this situation is a possible finalist. 

I can confirm we heard the same story from the Vista Ridge staff.

Holy Cow.

So from the BOA website, this is the "last block".  Is this the group of bands not going tonight?  Anyone know?  Is this the group that only 5 are getting chosen from?

7:30 PM Dripping Springs H.S., TX

7:45 PM Leander H.S., TX

8:00 PM Westlake H.S., TX

8:15 PM Hendrickson H.S., TX

8:30 PM Pflugerville H.S., TX

8:45 PM Vista Ridge H.S. TX

* [Round Rock H.S. TX, which was scheduled to perform at 9:00 PM tonight, is unable to perform due to travel issue.]

Geez...what a mess. No one to blame but the weather though. I'm sure BOA and the school districts are doing all they can to make this work. I do feel that the school districts are being a bit overprecautionary though...but then again I'm in Dallas and not Austin. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

To add to the misfortune, a lot of these bands that may not get to play are premier programs that will likely compete for finals spots. Drumlins battle for the final spots??? Lol

Word from BOA staff is that they are finding Saturday spots for each of the bands that are still trying to come down. Those bands are drawing, for which spot they get. No bands that want to and are able to come will be left out.

Certainly hope this is the case.  Would be a huge shame if 2 bands got left out.  What is that, an extra 30 - 45 minutes?

Word from BOA staff is that they are finding Saturday spots for each of the bands that are still trying to come down. Those bands are drawing, for which spot they get. No bands that want to and are able to come will be left out.

This is a lot more believable than the 7 bands drawing for only 5 spots thing floating around.   

How about ALL bands perform and no finals... go by the prelim scores... they did this for BOA Austin one year...

With over 60 bands in this super regional it would be very hard for judges to place bands the most accurately. I really would hate for there to be no finals for this competition. Trying to place 26 bands versus double that is quite different especially when it's over the course of two days.

Leander is accepting BOA's offer of being an exhibition with a 1:15 performance. BOA has agreed that if any band drops out of the competition then Leander will be judged and have a chance at finals only if another band backs out. If all bands perform as scheduled Leander will remain I judged without competing this year. I have heard dripping springs' district has declined the same 6:45 offer as Leander since both programs would have to leave Austin around 2:00am, does anyone know if D.S. worked something out with BOA similar to Leander's situation?

Leander is accepting BOA's offer of being an exhibition with a 1:15 performance. BOA has agreed that if any band drops out of the competition then Leander will be judged and have a chance at finals only if another band backs out. If all bands perform as scheduled Leander will remain I judged without competing this year. I have heard dripping springs' district has declined the same 6:45 offer as Leander since both programs would have to leave Austin around 2:00am, does anyone know if D.S. worked something out with BOA similar to Leander's situation?

I'm pretty sure Dripping Springs is doing the same thing as Leander as of now. I feel truly sorry for these three bands that have had to drop out, and my utmost respect goes to their programs for working around these difficult circumstances. It's situations like this that really show the class in some of these ASTOUNDING programs, which all were potential finalists, and in Leander's case a potential medalist. I'm really feeling for the Anderson kids out there, as I believe this was their last major competition/performance they were attending. As for Leander and Dripping Springs, I hope they come out of this with strong State performances.

Overall I don't think MFA is to blame for this happening, I'm sure they have tried to do all that they possibly could to deal with these unprecedented circumstances. It seems like no matter what they do, unless another, closer band performs earlier/drops out, a few of the Austin bands would've been left out. It's just too unsafe for the school districts to allow travel at an early time, and with the I-35 closed down, I can imagine it's heck getting there. Overall, I hope MFA can use this year to learn, and be ready the next time a storm like this comes.