can someone explain how the tie was broken for leander and cp? im not sure how that works for uil

The UIL scoring procedure is here:

http://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure

Basically, looking at Leander and Cedar Park, 3 judges favored Leander over Cedar Park, whereas only 2 judges favored Cedar Park over Leander.  So, Leander wins the tiebreaker.

I would like to know what happened to my posts? Why are things being deleted? Was anything I said derogatory? I'm fairly certain I didn't bash anyone. I merely stated facts I observed out on the field tonight in regards to execution and "falling down". Or was it that I questioned the judges possibly being enamored moreso by shows over execution of marching and music?

Scott Coulson - Mesquite

Greg Dick - Friendswood

James Hudson - Arizona State U

Albert Lo - UT Rio Grande Valley

Tom Shine - Duncanville

That list isn't correct (likely due to the weather delay), but I don't know how much incorrect. I know that David Brandon (Duncanville) was J1 (prelims and finals).

I would like to know what happened to my posts? Why are things being deleted? Was anything I said derogatory? I'm fairly certain I didn't bash anyone. I merely stated facts I observed out on the field tonight in regards to execution and "falling down". Or was it that I questioned the judges possibly being enamored moreso by shows over execution of marching and music?

I'd like to hear what you have to say.  Perhaps you can restate your points another way.  

I guess the only way for LISD to improve on last cycles medal sweep is to sweep the top 4. These 4 were obviously a level above the rest (drip settled nicely into 5th) and while they'll get slightly stiffer competition at state, I still think it'll be an internal affair for 1st place, and for the bronze.

And as you mentioned PA, I think all of these bands will do well this weekend as well.

kschmize:  I stated that I felt that McCallum got the shaft.  They executed their performance very well.  Their marching was clean.  Their music was clean.  Very few issues with spacing.  Lines were always good.  Dripping Springs however had issues.  They did not execute cleanly.   At the start of their routine they merge into a big triangle shape and rotate it.  The middle of it ... not clean.  There were other places throughout their performance that were just not clean at all.  Nevermind the fact that one guy fell down and 3 or 4 other people ran over him causing several to have to move to avoid him.  Perhaps my posts got deleted because I ruffled some feathers by suggesting that perhaps the judges in the contest are getting enamored by the "show", the color, the pageantry, etc.  Maybe the judges were watching butterflies and trees instead of watching the marching...  This is UIL.  This is not BOA.

Not bashing anyone.  I never have and never will.  Dripping Springs has a very beautiful show.  I think they'll do very well at BOA this coming weekend.  I hope they do.  My wife and I love their show.  That being said though, McCallum executed last night better than Dripping Springs.

I think one of the major faults in your argument is that not a single judge agrees with you, in the entire day. I understand being upset by highly inconsistent judges (kind of), but there's not much to be upset by in this specific competition because the judging was impressively consistent.  So unless they were ALL "looking at butterflies," it seems your opinion is the outlier.

Also, "falls" are rarely if ever a reason for judges to deduct from a show. Falls are freak things that happen to everyone, and aren't necessarily a reflection of the quality of a show. Its also very hard to make the UIL vs BOA case against dripping springs, as they have historically leaned much more of a UIL friendly show designs, and are consistently a fine example of cleanliness vs "showiness"

McCallum had one of the best placements at this competition they've ever had and should be quite proud of it, but unfortunately ran into 5 of the best bands in the state in this competition. I hope they can build on this momentum and continue to improve in the upcoming years. 

Also, something missing in this argument: Where do you gove credit for difficulty? I have seen many people argue that in UIL judging it is all about clean marching and clean music. That can only be true to a point, otherwise there is no incentive for (non-BOA) bands to do anything other than simple drill and simple music.

I am not saying McCallum's show was either, but DS's show is clearly significantly more difficult in terms of both drill and music.

This is nothing against McCallum. I have seen their show four times now and thoroughly enjoy it. I find myself rooting for them because they are always so solid and are clearly working with fewer resources than many of the bands they compete against.

Even if it is not in the rubric that UIL judges use, however, there is no realistic way for the difficulty of the undertaking to NOT have an effect of the scores.

And, having said all of that I still feel that DS was musically stronger than McCallum. Significantly.

kschmize: I stated that I felt that McCallum got the shaft. They executed their performance very well. Their marching was clean. Their music was clean. Very few issues with spacing. Lines were always good. Dripping Springs however had issues. They did not execute cleanly. At the start of their routine they merge into a big triangle shape and rotate it. The middle of it ... not clean. There were other places throughout their performance that were just not clean at all. Nevermind the fact that one guy fell down and 3 or 4 other people ran over him causing several to have to move to avoid him. Perhaps my posts got deleted because I ruffled some feathers by suggesting that perhaps the judges in the contest are getting enamored by the "show", the color, the pageantry, etc. Maybe the judges were watching butterflies and trees instead of watching the marching... This is UIL. This is not BOA.

Not bashing anyone. I never have and never will. Dripping Springs has a very beautiful show. I think they'll do very well at BOA this coming weekend. I hope they do. My wife and I love their show. That being said though, McCallum executed last night better than Dripping Springs.

I think both bands executed their shows VERY well. At this point in the season and especially in this area, it comes down to the littlest details and is ultimately up to the judges.

I think both bands executed their shows VERY well. At this point in the season and especially in this area, it comes down to the littlest details and is ultimately up to the judges.

kschmize: I stated that I felt that McCallum got the shaft. They executed their performance very well. Their marching was clean. Their music was clean. Very few issues with spacing. Lines were always good. Dripping Springs however had issues. They did not execute cleanly. At the start of their routine they merge into a big triangle shape and rotate it. The middle of it ... not clean. There were other places throughout their performance that were just not clean at all. Nevermind the fact that one guy fell down and 3 or 4 other people ran over him causing several to have to move to avoid him. Perhaps my posts got deleted because I ruffled some feathers by suggesting that perhaps the judges in the contest are getting enamored by the "show", the color, the pageantry, etc. Maybe the judges were watching butterflies and trees instead of watching the marching... This is UIL. This is not BOA.

Not bashing anyone. I never have and never will. Dripping Springs has a very beautiful show. I think they'll do very well at BOA this coming weekend. I hope they do. My wife and I love their show. That being said though, McCallum executed last night better than Dripping Springs.

From what I saw last night from Area D it looks to be impressive again in State finals.

It will come up to the judges.

Leander and Cedar Park appear to be in a dead heat.  Both are very impressive.  Clean and powerful.

Vista Ridge and Vandergrift appear to be in a dead heat as well.  Very intricate shows that are performed well.  Vista's show is more subtle and nuanced and Vandergrift's is more in your face.  Depends on the judges.

I can see any of these four shuffling in order depending on the performances, I predict that they will take 1-4 with Leander, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge, and Vandergrift.   

Question; there were drops in the drill team for CP last night, how are those accounted for in the scoring?