2015 BOA San Antonio Predictions

I agree on the woodlands they are deadly especially on a nationals year. I am willing to move owasso down to the unsafe zone. As for Bowie i saw their show last Night and wow they are really impressive i can see why they took 2nd. Leander has to be on it's toes just because it won Austin doesn't mean these groups will stop improveing, it only gets harder from here. As for the bottom i believe Vandegrift will be in finals and the question is if Wakeland is better than Cedar ridge which judging from exhibition performance at tmc has really improved i could see them side stepping vandi if they keep it up. Then there is Hendrickson who will probably leap in to finals this year.

I agree on the woodlands they are deadly especially on a nationals year. I am willing to move owasso down to the unsafe zone. As for Bowie i saw their show last Night and wow they are really impressive i can see why they took 2nd. Leander has to be on it's toes just because it won Austin doesn't mean these groups will stop improveing, it only gets harder from here. As for the bottom i believe Vandegrift will be in finals and the question is if Wakeland is better than Cedar ridge which judging from exhibition performance at tmc has really improved i could see them side stepping vandi if they keep it up. Then there is Hendrickson who will probably leap in to finals this year.

I saw Wakeland at  Arlington, they are very impressive. I loved their show.

I'll probably look like a fool in 3 weeks, but if I had to pick 3 candidates for a medal with all things considered (show completion, performance scores, etc) in no particular order they'd be:

Hebron

Leander

Ronald Reagan

To be completely honest these are pretty much the shows I've seen good videos of that are also my favorites. I haven't seen a good video of Flower Mound since Birdville, more than 30 seconds of The Woodlands, or much of CTJ or Bowie. I do safely think these shows will be top 5 or 6 though.  Their performance scores are high and that's what's going to set them apart. If GE judging is anything like the cluster F it was last year (please no), performance will be crucial. I also have a feeling picking caption winners will be like drawing names out of a hat. I'd say there are 7 or 8 good candidates for music performance, 5 or 6 for visual, and 5 or 6 for GE.

I'll take a stab at finals PLACEMENT predictions. I haven't ever gotten a single prediction right. Ever. So let's see how this goes.

14-11) Wakeland, Cedar, Dripping Springs, Vandegriff (to me Wakeland is the best of the bubble bands)

10) Round Rock

9) Cedar Park

8) Marcus (call me crazy, just a guess)

7) The Woodlands

6) Claudia Taylor Johnson

5) Ronald Reagan

4) Hebron

3) Flowermound

2) Bowie

1) Leander

Music- Reagan/Leander/Bowie, maybe even Hebron

Visual- CTJ

GE- Hebron, Flowermound

I honestly think the top 8 could be the completely opposite of what I predicted. That's how tight I think this year will be.

A few thoughts:

The only bubble band I'm confident in is Wakeland. Love their show.

The captions are a wild guess, I think Reagan and Hebron have the best single movements (both of their ballads are literal perfection) helping their music cause but still I have no idea.

Marcus- they are clean as always, they're going to score highly in music and visual, but I think their GE might be a little behind compared to Flowermounds ear. The 7-10 picks were more of just a range. Marcus will always be one of the best bands of the state (probably will medal at state for the next 1000 years or so) but I think UIL suits them better than BOA. Again just my opinion, I still need to see a final product as that might completely change what I think.

I think the top 6 will be within 1.5 points. That's how close this will be.

I think it may come down to visual, obviously I would put Hebron out of the picture if that was the case but they just best two of the cleanest visual bands in the state so what do I know.

The only reason I think Leander will win is because their whole show is just a gorgeous big choral work (pun intended). I really want to see a new winner for the fourth straight year? Or third I can't remember.

I LOVE REAGAN. I absolutely love that they are back on top. But it's a different game than it was 10-15 years ago. Completely different. It will be crazy to see what this competition spits out.

I'll take a stab at finals PLACEMENT predictions. I haven't ever gotten a single prediction right. Ever. So let's see how this goes.

14-11) Wakeland, Cedar, Dripping Springs, Vandegriff (to me Wakeland is the best of the bubble bands)

10) Round Rock

9) Cedar Park

8) Marcus (call me crazy, just a guess)

7) The Woodlands

6) Claudia Taylor Johnson

5) Ronald Reagan

4) Hebron

3) Flowermound

2) Bowie

1) Leander

Music- Reagan/Leander/Bowie, maybe even Hebron

Visual- CTJ

GE- Hebron, Flowermound

I honestly think the top 8 could be the completely opposite of what I predicted. That's how tight I think this year will be.

A few thoughts:

The only bubble band I'm confident in is Wakeland. Love their show.

I haven't gotten to see Wakeland's show yet, do you have a video of them?

I'll just go ahead and predict the top 25

1) Flower Mound

2) Reagan

3) Leander

4) CTJ

5) Marcus

6) Bowie

7) Cedar Park

8) Hebron

9) The Woodlands

10) Round Rock

11) Hendrickson

12) Vandegrift

13) Wakeland

14) Cedar Ridge

15) Copell

16) Friendswood

17) Owasso

18) Dripping Springs

19) Anderson

20) Westlake

21) Keller Central

22) Brazoswood

23) Aledo

24) TWCP

25) Spring

Well, this is just my opinions based on scores and early BOA's (Austin, etc)

Out of the group of bands that I think will have a shot at medaling (Flower Mound, CTJ, Leander, Reagan, Woodlands, Hebron, Marcus, Bowie, and maybe Round Rock), I can't narrow down 3 that I feel will have the strongest chances of winning. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how Flower Mound, Leander, CTJ, Reagan, and Marcus will be at San Antonio, but I don't know how to compare them to the rest because there's too many factors about those other bands I just don't know. The Woodlands, Hebron, and Round Rock are all going at Grand Nats pace so we aren't really going to have an idea of what any of those 3 groups will look like at San Antonio until the day of. And Bowie could turn out to be a late season bloomer and show up to the Alamodome a much stronger group than people would've thought. Throw the BOA judges' varying personal opinions into the mix and you have a contest that's impossible to predict. And I'm not even going to try to give finalist predictions, that's even more impossible. At this rate, there is going to be like 30 medal contenders in a few years lol!

I've noticed that Westlake seems to be falling a bit on the short end here on the predictions because of the whole BOA Austin incident, I wouldn't count them out, given their history, and their show this year is really GE Driven. Even better than last year's, personally. Like some people have said above, they typically bloom late in the season, so obvioulsy by the time BOA rolls around they'll be milestones better. I think Westlake is a top contender for the last few spots in finals. But hey, thats just my opinion! 

So we have one guy that doesn't have Vista Ridge in the TOP 25? And two more pointing out Friendswood beat Vista in prelims at TWC.

Ok. I would point out, however, that Vista performed at 9:15am in prelims, third overall. And then they beat Friendswood handily in Finals.

Food for thought.

I'm well aware. However that goes with one of the points I was making. A performance time is another factor that in a regional so competitive, can be another factor when it is so close. In a perfect world it shouldnt be, but unfortunately it can be. If there had been 4 more bands at the level of the top groups performing at the level or higher than Friendswood and performed well later they woulda potentially been out. Vista was probably the better band in prelims or maybe wasn't as strong in their first run. But that's another factor. Hence why I include them in the same grouping.

Also, Friendswood is a band that I wouldn't be ashamed of being beat by. They're very good every year. Wasn't bringing it up in a negative way to Vista......

So my thing about "my band did a b c and therefore deserves x placement / y finals spot / any consideration better than its currently receiving" is that when everyone says it - and we have three different examples on the prior page alone - it seriously diminishes any individual claim to that argument. For now, all we can do is predict based on the scores (and probably more important, the scoring patterns) that we've been given. That's going to advantage how certain bands are and aren't predicted. At the end of the day, it's not worth being bothered by what some band nerds (me included) predict about some show at whatever contest. Just go and perform your show to the best of your abilities and inspire your bandmates around you to do the same. Then, the results will fall where they may, and possibly you won't feel you *have* to defend your group on here next season.

1) Reagan

2) James Bowie

3) CTJ

4) Marcus

5) Flower Mound

6) Leander

7) The Woodlands

8) Hebron

9) Cedar Park

10) Round Rock

11) Hendrickson

12) Vandegrift

13) Wakeland

14) Cedar Ridge

15) Copell

16) Friendswood

17) Dripping Springs

Extremely tough to place. So many exceptional bands this year! 

1) Reagan

2) James Bowie

3) CTJ

4) Marcus

5) Flower Mound

6) Leander

7) The Woodlands

8) Cedar Park

9) Hebron

10) Hendrickson

11) Vandegrift

12) Wakeland

13) Cedar Ridge

14) Copell

15) Friendswood

Extremely tough to place. So many exceptional bands this year! 

Round Rock not making the cut this year?

Its going to be a tough super regional for sure this year. But holy cow, Flower Mound winning BOA Arlington. I finally got to see their show in finals and was completely blown away. I immediately saw why they won in Prelims, Finals, and took so many captions. Flower Mound is steadily rising to the top, and is definitely a band to be watching out for at San Antonio. Their GE is absolutely ridiculous, visual is impressively clean for this early in the season, and their music...you've just got to hear it live to believe it.