Leander ISD Festival of Bands

• 2 weeks later...

Leander's opening hit is phenomenal. The rest of what they performed tonight was also great. Can't wait to see their final movement.

Cedar Park and Vandegrift were both were both fantastic, particularly on the visuals with Vandy. Strong sound, as expected, from both.

I hate to say it, but I was pretty underwhelmed by Rouse. They still stick out compared to their sister schools, not in a good way. Although it is a tough curve to grade on.

I'll refrain from comment on Vista Ridge as I am admittedly biased. :-)

I didn't go, but a friend went and said that Leander and Vandegrift really impressed, and that Cedar Park's music was very strong.

Also, there's a video from a Vandegrift rehearsal on youtube (not going to link it because I would hate for it to be taken down) and they are very sharp and their individual technique is extremely clean for September.

Vista Ridge

• Leander - As much as I don't want to admit it, since I'm not really a fan of their show style, they are killing the music and GE departments!
  • Rouse - Haven't seen enough to justify a statement
  • Vista Ridge - I'm closely following along with my younger friends in the program, and it'll be interesting how they handle the upcoming contests mentally. Fingers crossed! I love the visual design more than any previous years, and once it meshes properly with the music it'll be an extremely formidable show
  • Cedar Park - Disregarding my obvious bias towards my alma mater, this is my championship candidate. I love Cedar Park's lush, full sound, amazing woodwinds, and orchestral design, and this year is no different. 
  • Vandegrift - Still very refined marching and playing, but the show design doesn't captivate me as much as does Cedar Park and Vista Ridge's, or even Swan Lake in 2013. Lots of simple drill moves (that are still at a high level, don't get me wrong) that don't mesh with the music as well as Orion or What's Opera Doc? do.

Vista Ridge

As for what I think of my former sister schools' shows...

• Leander - As much as I don't want to admit it, since I'm not really a fan of their show style, they are killing the music and GE departments!
  • Rouse - Haven't seen enough to justify a statement
  • Vista Ridge - I'm closely following along with my younger friends in the program, and it'll be interesting how they handle the upcoming contests mentally. Fingers crossed! I love the visual design more than any previous years, and once it meshes properly with the music it'll be an extremely formidable show
  • Cedar Park - Disregarding my obvious bias towards my alma mater, this is my championship candidate. I love Cedar Park's lush, full sound, amazing woodwinds, and orchestral design, and this year is no different. 
  • Vandegrift - Still very refined marching and playing, but the show design doesn't captivate me as much as does Cedar Park and Vista Ridge's. Lots of simple drill moves (that are still at a high level, don't get me wrong) that don't mesh with the music as well as Orion or What's Opera Doc? do.

"once it meshes properly with the music, it will be an extremely formidable show"

so its okay for your alma mater's school's drill to "not mesh as well with the music" quite yet, but for other schools who have that same "issue," their shows are suddenly inferior and not capable of being as "formidable"?

It's September 22. Give all these kids a chance to breathe, grow and prove themselves. BOA Austin hasn't even happened yet. I'm sure you know exactly what it feels like to have people criticizing your show early in the season. Think back to 2013. UIL and BOA were totally unpredictable between Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Vandegrift. Now with Leander in the mix, consider how all over the place it's going to be.

I usually refrain from ranting on here, but I'm tired of seeing posts like this. 

"once it meshes properly with the music, it will be an extremely formidable show"

so its okay for your alma mater's school's drill to "not mesh as well with the music" quite yet, but for other schools who have that same "issue," their shows are suddenly inferior and not capable of being as "formidable"?

It's September 22. Give all these kids a chance to breathe, grow and prove themselves. BOA Austin hasn't even happened yet. I'm sure you know exactly what it feels like to have people criticizing your show early in the season. Think back to 2013. UIL and BOA were totally unpredictable between Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Vandegrift. Now with Leander in the mix, consider how all over the place it's going to be.

I usually refrain from ranting on here, but I'm tired of seeing posts like this.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean anything negative about their show. Offering your opinion isn't a bad thing.

Aside from that, CEDAR PARK!!! Wow!!!

It's September 22. Give all these kids a chance to breathe, grow and prove themselves. BOA Austin hasn't even happened yet. I'm sure you know exactly what it feels like to have people criticizing your show early in the season. 

Think back to 2013. UIL and BOA were totally unpredictable between Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Vandegrift. Now with Leander in the mix, consider how all over the place it's going to be.

I don't see what's so offensive about his post. Even if I disagree with parts of it (which I do), I don't think he was out of line and he at least had the decency to admit his own biases. I see much worse posts on a near daily basis over on the MFA forums and occasionally on here.

Anyway, if I had to break down each of the judging categories for BOA Austin for these groups:

Music Performance (top 3 are close):

1. Cedar Park

2. Vandegrift

3. Leander

4. Vista Ridge

Visual Performance:

Too close for me to tell

Music GE:

1. Vandegrift

2. Leander (very close 2nd)

3. Cedar Park

4. Vista Ridge

Visual GE:

1. Leander

2. Vandegrift

3. Vista Ridge

4. Cedar Park

Final Rankings:

1. Leander

2. Vandegrift

3. Cedar Park

4. Vista Ridge

I believe all 4 will solidly be in finals at BOA Austin. I also could see Vandegrift really dominating with that show later in the season.

@justabandkid94

principalagent has articulated exactly what I feel.

I don't mean to attack my sister schools, I feel extremely proud whenever anyone compliments ANY Leander ISD school. 

I'm not passing judgement with regards to execution. High execution is ALWAYS a given in this district. I just state my very personal preferences in show style. I acknowledge my bias towards preferring Vista Ridge and Cedar Park's show styles. I just reread my post and I complimented every single one of them whose show I've watched. What gives?

Anyone who's actually been in a Leander ISD band program knows we have very healthy and friendly rivalries with our sister programs. No need to worry. Not to mention that I've already graduated and I'm just spectating from a distance now.

I enjoyed all 5 shows. I think LISD should be proud of the programs they have. Not many districts have this many bands that are all working this hard. Kudos guys!

I think it's too early to tell just who is going to come out on top and I expect they will all improve significantly over the next 4-5 weeks. Can't wait to see them then!