BOA Austin Schedule 9/26/2015

A few interesting things I'm noticing from the finals recap: 1.) Leander did well across the board, but none of the judges had them in first place, which is fairly odd, though Round Rock's penalty definitely threw things for a loop. 2.) James Bowie's ensemble music score seems surprisingly low, based on how both Daniel and Brandon described the performance (and prelims results). They weren't even in the top 5. 3.) Based on what I've seen, I'm surprised that 2 of the 3 GE judges didn't seem to think that Vandegrift was at the same level as the others in the top 5, at least in finals. Different strokes for different folks.

All in all, I don't think these results have done much to separate the top 5 groups or make future predictions any easier. Everything was so close.

3.) Based on what I've seen, I'm surprised that 2 of the 3 GE judges didn't seem to think that Vandegrift was at the same level as the others in the top 5, at least in finals. Different strokes for different folks.

The same judge that put Vandegrift in 6th for Visual Ensemble (14.60) in prelims put them in 8th for Visual General Effect (14.90) in finals.

I'm not disagreeing with Mr. Giese, but this helps explain the scoring gap between James Bowie and Vandegrift in finals.

2.) James Bowie's ensemble music score seems surprisingly low, based on how both Daniel and Brandon described the performance (and prelims results)

I definitely thought that Bowie performed a lot better in Prelims than they did in Finals. Everything just clicked a lot more; the articulation features in Short Ride were a lot cleaner on the first run. It didn't really bare out in the scores, but that's what I felt. It's also a swapped judging panel, so you can't exactly compare Prelims/Finals scores with eachother.

At the same time, I thought that Round Rock's Finals performance was hands down much better than their Prelims run. This does show up in that Cedar Park won Prelims even with no RR penalty.

Personally, for Prelims I had:

1) Cedar Park

2) Bowie

3) Leander

4) Round Rock

5) Vandegrift

But for Finals I had:

1) Cedar Park

2) Round Rock

3) Leander

4) Bowie

5) Vandegrift

And looking at that list again, having 3 of the top 5 being 5A bands from LISD is incredible, and all 4 of the ones in attendance in Finals! 5A State is going to be insane.

2.) James Bowie's ensemble music score seems surprisingly low, based on how both Daniel and Brandon described the performance (and prelims results). They weren't even in the top 5.

I felt like Bowie was champion material during prelims (at least from the perspective of music....I know good music, and although I know good visual when I see it, I can't really pin it down to a ranking like a visual tech/designer/judge can....I don't have that background and I'm not looking at the visual so much as I take notes as I watch/listen anyway). 

Regardless, I did not feel that way during finals (Bowie being champion material I mean), especially with the other top tier bands performing around them.  I don't have the long term presence of mind like Daniel does to say something like "Their prelims performance was better than finals etc", which is why I rarely comment on that fact like he does. Sometimes I can tell, but not usually. In the heat of the competition where bands are going one after another and I'm typing stuff up I can keep track of relativistic nuances like that, but once the stadium's cleared out and I've had something to eat, I've already forgotten the nitty gritty of each band's performance and all that really remains is the general impression of how they compared with each other as a ranking in my head.  In any case, whether it was because the other bands turned it up more in Finals, or Bowie didn't turn it up as much or did worse, I don't really know since that's not how I look at it.

Figuring out who I felt was the best band out of the top 5 in finals was extremely tough....tougher than it usually is.  My money was on Cedar Park because their music was so ridiculously spot on for this early.  Though after seeing the point spread between the top 5 in Finals I don't feel so bad--the judges couldn't decide either ;) ....

Round Rock's placing surprised me entirely (and there's usually that one band at every contest that does this).....After looking at the recap, I realized that Round Rock won Visual with a .5 lead (pretty considerable for this early of a regional with a 2.2 point spread in Total Visual across the entire Top 10).  They musically did better than I expected (4th in music--I had them 6th) and their performance actually didn't strike me as a performance that could win it all in the same way I felt about Cedar Park, Leander or Vandegrift.

Still a very fun contest. And I loved the venue.  I need to attend BOA Austin more often.