I'm a Hebron fan and have enjoyed watching their rise since they won 5A Honor Band a few years ago, but I'm not sold that they can win UIL until I see how their closer is going to come together.  I saw BOA Denton live and have now seen video of the HEB contest finals and as good as their show is (and it's darn good), the closer feels chaotic and disjointed to me with some drill thrown together behind some huge dark brass hits.  To be fair, the ballad segment where the spinsters turn into princesses is absolute magic.

On the other hand, Marcus is still yet to field a significant amount of their closer and I am very anxious to see their complete show because that show has big potential.  I haven't had the "Wow" moment yet with their music, but their is much more complexity in their drill this year and the visuals are back to their normal gold standard.  They know how to win and normally don't put anything on the field until its perfect.

I also think that The Woodlands show is more UIL friendly than CTJ.  I love the power of their low brass and they appear to have also stepped up their drill.  I simply think that UIL is still very wide open.

[unclassy comment about Round Rock]

Round Rock has to make it out of Area this Saturday first.  RR learned 2 years ago that expectations don't always happen.  Please don't assume anything for Round Rock.

Edited by takigan

Does Area A advance 4 schools or 3? Near as I can tell, Area A has 18 schools participating in 2 zones (10 in the West zone and 8 in the East). In any other Area, 18 bands = 3 advancing to state. Am I missing something?

Area A also includes the Ft. Worth Area, which includes Keller, Keller Central, Timber Creek, ect.  

Actually what I was looking at was Area A East Zone (Fort Worth, Keller, etc.) and Central Zone (Lubbock, Amarillo, etc.). There is apparently a West zone (El Paso), but I'm not seeing any information about an Area competition for that zone. If there is a competition in that zone and they send 1 band, that gets Area A to 4 bands as reported above.

Actually what I was looking at was Area A East Zone (Fort Worth, Keller, etc.) and Central Zone (Lubbock, Amarillo, etc.). There is apparently a West zone (El Paso), but I'm not seeing any information about an Area competition for that zone. If there is a competition in that zone and they send 1 band, that gets Area A to 4 bands as reported above.

They're not on the UIL Area Webpage for some reason, but they do have a contest this weekend.  Eastwood, Americas, Franklin, Socorro, El Dorado, and Montwood.  1 advances.  I'd look for Americas or Coronado to advance, Americas has an especially enjoyable show this year.  

I think bowie in third, purely because Marcus and Hebron are just too good. Then I have no clue which one of those sister bands will win. Both Marcus and Hebron have extremely difficult shoes. I think Hebron has a harder musical performance, but Marcus has a little harder visual performance, and they basically perform to the highest degree possible, like always. I could see either band taking state

Agreed on Marcus, Hebron and Bowie. I don't think anyone's really touching those three on sheer cleanliness and execution. Bowie has to be itching for a medal after two years in 4th.

Especially after Bowie technically tied for third both of those years. Imagine the agony they would feel if the same thing happened again this year.

I would love to see Duncanville make a State finals comeback, and I see no reason why they can't do it.....other than the field being absolutely stacked, of course. I wanted to put together finals predictions, but I honestly don't know where to start. This just gets harder every year as Texas bands push their quality higher and higher. 

I do ultimately think it will be Marcus and Hebron duking it out for the title. Bronze is anyone's game. I would love to see Bowie medal after being painfully close twice in a row.