I would never count LD Bell out for anything. A dip here or there is one thing, but I don't think a band with their very impressive track record is likely to stay down for very long. With a record at the finals of the Grand Nationals like the one below, these guys have been a threat for quite a while and are likely to be for a long time.

2013 - 10th (89.20)

2010 - 3rd (96.05)

2009 - 2nd (95.25)

2008 - 2nd (96.50)

2007 - 1st (96.10)

2006 - 2nd (96.35)

2005 - 3rd (95.60)

2003 - 5th (93.00)

2001 - 4th (95.85)

And this is just the GN's...

Saw the finals breakdown by the judges from area b. Some weirdness, most notably Plano east taking second from one music judge, while only taking 7th from the other two. Not quite sure what he or she saw. Hebron also right on marcus' tail in ensemble visual, but lagging behind in individual visual.

Haltom had 4 4 5 9 3 <? So the marching judges...one gave 3rd place and one gave 9th...it's indeed weird, but I'll quote the band director: That's why there are five judges.

1) Marcus- I think they will barely edge out Hebron. They're show is very complex, and they almost perform it to perfection

2) Hebron, I just think Hebrons visual aspect is a little off, but if the have gotten that fixed for San antonio we will see where that gets them. I also think their ending is a bit abrupt. But I'm pretty sure they're adding more on.

-------------

This is where I think the blood bath starts.

Honestly I think all of these bands have shots at the No 3 spot.

Bowie

CTJ

Flomo

Coppell

Woodlands

I would never count LD Bell out for anything. A dip here or there is one thing, but I don't think a band with their very impressive track record is likely to stay down for very long. With a record at the finals of the Grand Nationals like the one below, these guys have been a threat for quite a while and are likely to be for a long time.

2013 - 10th (89.20)

2010 - 3rd (96.05)

2009 - 2nd (95.25)

2008 - 2nd (96.50)

2007 - 1st (96.10)

2006 - 2nd (96.35)

2005 - 3rd (95.60)

2003 - 5th (93.00)

2001 - 4th (95.85)

And this is just the GN's...

You have to account for the fact that they haven't had the same director in all of those years. In 2009 didn't they change head directors? The 2001-2008 results should be severely discounted. Then control for the fact that the youngest students in 09 graduated in spring 2012. Which season was the season that Bell started to slip? Fall 2012 their show was still difficult, but people start to notice that this isn't the same band. Then 2013 their show isn't at the same level in terms of complexity or execution as previous years. They place in the bottom half of both SA and Nats. 2014, they don't medal at BOA Denton Finals and they miss out on state. 

They are a good band. They aren't a top 3 band anymore or a top 5. Hebron, Marcus, and TWHS are here to stay and Bowie and CTJ just keep getting better. 

(I am not bashing them. I am making a simply positive inference.)

You have to account for the fact that they haven't had the same director in all of those years. In 2009 didn't they change head directors? The 2001-2008 results should be severely discounted. Then control for the fact that the youngest students in 09 graduated in spring 2012. Which season was the season that Bell started to slip? Fall 2012 their show was still difficult, but people start to notice that this isn't the same band. Then 2013 their show isn't at the same level in terms of complexity or execution as previous years. They place in the bottom half of both SA and Nats. 2014, they don't medal at BOA Denton Finals and they miss out on state.

They are a good band. They aren't a top 3 band anymore or a top 5. Hebron, Marcus, and TWHS are here to stay and Bowie and CTJ just keep getting better.

That's what people thought about Westfield 10 years ago :P

Yes there was a new head director in 2009

Isn't that kind of a parallel example? In 03 they are Gnat champs and BOA SA champs, 04 they're 6th, 05 they're 10th, 06 they're 14th, and 07 they're 9th. They went from top of the national circuit, to bottom of finals at SA, to not really participating.

That was directed to what you said about Marcus, Hebron, and TWHS being here to stay (Don't mean to come out rude).

Now that we have been somewhat suprised by the boa San an results, I'll just say that I don't think state will have the same outcome at all. I was shocked marcus got fourth, even more shocked that hebron took sixth. Hebron had a very emotional performance, much better individually. Still have some visual issues but not as bad as at area. I'm still expecting the top three to be a very close run between CTJ Bowie, Hebron and Marcus

Marcus is probably going to win gold, with Hebron winning sillver. The only way I don't see that happening is if Hebron manages to sweep 1s across the board in music. I think bronze will be a battle between Bowie and Coppell, with Duncanville as a potential dark horse. For those curious, I'm posting a video of Duncanville at Area. I don't think they're quite as strong as Bowie or Coppell in this video, but depending on how much they will have improved this Tuesday, I think they've got a very legitimate shot at a medal. They certainly sound pretty fantastic.

Yeah, I would definitely not expect Tuesday's results to look anything like BOA SA. Johnson will probably make finals again, but I don't see them having the across-the-board support from the judges they'll need for a medal. Marcus, on the other hand, should probably still be considered the favorite, and I expect Hebron to finish much higher as well. 

As I've decided to go to watch State this year, I'll go ahead and post some rough predictions. I'm not going to do a full list since I'm rather unfamiliar with UIL judging compared to BOA, I'm basing these placements mostly off of what I've seen at Area D finals and BOASA, I've look at as many videos as I could find in the meantime.

I think the top three will be Marcus Hebron and Bowie, in no particular order. I think Marcus has the edge for being well-rounded. I think if either Bowie cleans a bit more musically or Hebron visually they could have the win. I'm going to go ahead and say Bowie has the higher chance of beating Marcus, just because I feel it is a little easier to clean music, and also what hurt them most in BOASA was individual, which is harder to judge from the box (I believe there are no field judges in UIL).

After that I think it's anyone's game, I'm not saying nobody else can hit top three, but it is unlikely. My top contenders for the the next two places would be CTJ, Woodlands, Cedar Ridge and Reagan. After that I think Haltom, Coppell, Flowermound Duncanville, Berkner, and Friendswood are band that will be contending for the last few spots, with the first three more likely to make finals.

As I've decided to go to watch State this year, I'll go ahead and post some rough predictions. I'm not going to do a full list since I'm rather unfamiliar with UIL judging compared to BOA, I'm basing these placements mostly off of what I've seen at Area D finals and BOASA, I've look at as many videos as I could find in the meantime.

I think the top three will be Marcus Hebron and Bowie, in no particular order. I think Marcus has the edge for being well-rounded. I think if either Bowie cleans a bit more musically or Hebron visually they could have the win. I'm going to go ahead and say Bowie has the higher chance of beating Marcus, just because I feel it is a little easier to clean music, and also what hurt them most in BOASA was individual, which is harder to judge from the box (I believe there are no field judges in UIL).

After that I think it's anyone's game, I'm not saying nobody else can hit top three, but it is unlikely. My top contenders for the the next two places would be CTJ, Woodlands, Cedar Ridge and Reagan. After that I think Haltom, Coppell, Flowermound Duncanville, Berkner, and Friendswood are band that will be contending for the last few spots, with the first three more likely to make finals.

I think Duncanville has a significant chance at top 5, they beat out Rowlett and berkner and tied with Coppell at area, and Coppell being a pretty hard hitter, I think it just comes down to who executes prelims the best and then finals. But anybody can take the medals, at least I think

After seeing Bowie this weekend, I would be shocked if they didn't take home a medal on Tuesday night. And I'm not sure it'll be the third place one, either.

Super impressed with Bowie Saturday night and think that they have a legit chance to win. Right now my top 3 would Marcus, Bowie Hebron in that order. Marcus had some atypical slip ups in finals that I don't expect to repeat. Hebron has simply not been able to clean up their show and it's really hurting them. Any of those three can win.

I'm going to take a stab at guessing who will make finals

these are in my opinion locks: (in no particular order)

-Bowie

-Marcus

-Hebron

-The Woodlands

-CTJ

-Reagan 

Bubble Bands: 

-Coppell

-Cedar Ridge

-Westlake

-Flower Mound

I have not seen Duncanville, Rowlett, Haltom, Friendswood or Berkner, but i've heard some good things about them but I don't know where to place them. This is just my opnion and I could be totally wrong :rolleyes: We'll see what happens tomorrow!