2013 BOA San Antonio Super Regional

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/BandsofAmericaFinalBreakout/BOAScorecard?:embed=y&:display_count=no

If you click the bottom right chart it will highlight the bands.  I thought it would be interesting to see visual vs music just to see where everyone landed without the GE aspect.  (hint top right is where you want to be!)  

Interesting to see where all the clusters of talent are as well. 

This Blue Springs parent had a GREAT time at San Antonio!  What they say about the Texas bands, is all true.  There were sooooo many awesome bands there this weekend!  And the fans were GREAT too!  So many GREAT kids and GREAT fans!  Thank you!

Loved Blue Springs show. One of my favorites of the evening.

Looking at the snapshot day numbers around the internet, only Rouse has a chance to move up. The others are still solidly in 4A (or the new football 5A).

I have also heard this and I believe the goal when they opened the new schools was to end up with 5 4A schools, at least for the foreseeable future. But you never know with all the growth in the area. It is interesting that these programs are just now finally starting to fill out after the split and that they will only continue to grow these next few years. Scary thought that these bands will only get better.

CTJ's show strongly impressed me. Any comments?

I really wanted them to medal! They had such a great show. Their drill is just amazingly difficult and they march it so well and they have such a big (but controlled) sound for the size of their band!

All predictions placed Reagan either last in finals or not in finals at all ... can anyone explain this? We had a sophomore nearly collapse when they called Marcus before us.

I think everyone had low predictions for Reagan because of its BOA Conroe showing. Although, Reagan does seem like the band that makes leaps and bounds in terms of improvement from one week to the next.

All predictions placed Reagan either last in finals or not in finals at all ... can anyone explain this? We had a sophomore nearly collapse when they called Marcus before us.

I think it also had to do with the little exposure Reagan had before attending BOA SA. Although you guys did go to Conroe, I heard nothing substantial about your show between then and last night. No reviews by anyone. Nothing. It seemed like nobody had seen how your show had improved in the past month to make an accurate judgment. 

In all honesty since I've only seen one (extremely low quality, up-close) video of Reagan's show from this year, I STILL don't know what the show is like. I think I saw you guys marching contras?

So what were everybody's favorites? 

I didn't get to see too many, but of the ones I did.. (in order that I got to see them) :

Hendrickson - I really loved their music, it is both intense and epic and just keeps going, really pulling you in. They really pulled off a show theme I didn't think I would be sold on, yet I ended up loving it!

Bowie - Lots of clever stuff in there! I loved that hit in Let it Be and I'm a sucker for Bartok. They also took an odd show theme and really ran with it.

Blue Springs - I'm not normally a huge fan of dark shows, but this one was really cool. A lot of great GE moments, and while I didn't really follow the story (I'm not too familiar with Peter Pan), I still liked the overall show.

Round Rock - Great show that really doesn't try to hit you over the head with their concept, but lets it occur more organically (something I definitely prefer) The ballad (Colors of the Wind) was just beautiful!

Hebron - It really does promote a sense of wonder! The props were all very tasteful with a cool color scheme. I think they go for the slow burn over a series of explosions, and that works for them.

I missed a lot of them, and I'm leaving out Westlake cause that is my school, but I'm sure they were all great! 

What do y'all think?

This Blue Springs parent had a GREAT time at San Antonio!  What they say about the Texas bands, is all true.  There were sooooo many awesome bands there this weekend!  And the fans were GREAT too!  So many GREAT kids and GREAT fans!  Thank you!

Glad to hear that! I watched Blue Springs on the live webcast, and they were incredible! A non-Texas band making finals at San Antonio is a HUGE deal (something that hasn't happened in almost a decade), so those kids should be VERY proud. Congratulations, and good luck at Grand Nationals!

And Merkal, since you were humble in not saying anything about your band, I'll make the comment on Westlake for you ;):

Westlake was awesome! The trumpet soloists were my favorite soloists of the contest, right up there with the amazing singer from Cedar Ridge, the trombone soloist from Lopez, and the sousaphone soloist from Wagner. Westlake had an incredible brass sound as always (even a little better than last year in my opinion). I'm excited to see Westlake next year! If they perform like they have been these past 2 years, they'll be a sure state marching contest finalist once again in my opinion. 

Also, Coppell was incredible this year. It was nice seeing them FINALLY getting the kind of results they deserved when they got 6th in prelims and won the music caption. In my opinion, the only other band that was at their level musically was Hebron. I don't think anyone else could touch them musically. I want to see more shows like this where they keep their shows traditional like usual while throwing in some BOA style elements as well (that preshow was SO cool). If they wanted to (and by "they" I mean the staff), Coppell could easily be a serious contender with a balance between both BOA and UIL like Marcus. I would love to see that happen in these next few years!

Thanks for posting the prelim scores.  Looking at them makes me understand the placement.  FloMo's Visual Performance was good (9th in prelim and higher than six of the finalists) but the Music Performance took it down (35th in Prelim).  That is how it crumbles.  I am not blaming the time, but I wonder if the early prelim time had any impact.  On Friday night Flower Mound and Marcus played the annual "Mound Showdown" (Flower Mound won in triple overtime).  Both bands did not leave until after the football game.  Marcus was the first band after lunch (1:30?) and FloMo was the second band to play on Saturday (8:00).  Both bands performed their whole show at the football game and I heard they were both great (I am sorry I missed it as I was driving to SA).

Was anyone else surprised to see Cedar Park in last at finals? Curious to see what people thought about their show.

They are great. In my opinion they really didn't add much since Conroe. Musically, outstanding, but there were just too many bands equally as strong musically. Visually, they left something to be desired. I had them as a 12th place prediction. After watching so many good bands, I was afraid they might miss out on finals.

Was anyone else surprised to see Cedar Park in last at finals? Curious to see what people thought about their show.

No, I had them in 13th, here was how I thought everyone was going to place in parenthesis.

1.The Woodlands (2)

2.Hebron (3)

3.James Bowie (10)

4.CTJ (1)

5.Reagan (12)

6.Blue Springs (5)

7.Vandergrift (14)

8.Marcus (7)

9.LD BEll (6)

10.Round Rock (9)

11.Cedar Ridge (8)

12.Coppell (11)

13.Westlake (4)

14.Cedar Park (13)

No, I had them in 13th, here was how I thought everyone was going to place in parenthesis.

1.The Woodlands (2)

2.Hebron (3)

3.James Bowie (10)

4.CTJ (1)

5.Reagan (12)

6.Blue Springs (5)

7.Vandergrift (14)

8.Marcus (7)

9.LD BEll (6)

10.Round Rock (9)

11.Cedar Ridge (8)

12.Coppell (11)