UIL 6A Area C 2024

Date: November 2, 2024

Well, as if Area C hadn’t been more competitive, it seems like its going to be even more competitive than it already was, now that Forney is in the mix (let’s just see if they are ready to compete with the big dogs in 6A). This has always been a fun one with just about every single band having finals potential and the top 15 having state potential. This is arguably the toughest area in the state of Texas and truly no one is safe (except the LISD trio of course) but you get the idea.

Im going to be lightly focusing on this season this year (this is the only long post as it's a main concern of mine for the future), so this will be the only place I try to predict besides maybe a BOA, but with Forney moving up, I think this area has become overly competitive, to the point of ridiculousness, so many bands are now actively losing opportunities purely because they are in this area, I can see 5 potential State Finalists now with Prosper on an incredible incline and Forney who beat Leander at the State finals this past year, and what happens if a Frisco school like Wakeland or Lone Star move up? What about McKinney North? That's a very real possibility because I severely doubt those 3 (which also only bumps the area up to 35 bands with one school rarely advancing, so no more new area slots or state slots) would miss finals. This area and Area B need to be adjusted because I feel like it's going to stop being enjoyable for the middle road of bands when it becomes impossible to pierce into finals considering how consistent the finalist programs have and will become.

The area contest was built on a completely different foundation and competitiveness of Marching band, and now many bands that would easily have made state finals back in the 2000s and early 2010s (modern-day bands, not like them back in the 2000s) aren't even making state prelims, sometimes area finals, I believe something either needs to change about the structure of the area contest or a new area has to be made to counteract the serious density of North Texas, simply too many qualified bands are losing opportunities and it's getting frustrating honestly.

Anyways, here is my prediction, if Boyd introduces more advanced techniques to their consistency and recently strong writing, then I would place them somewhere in the qualifier spot, but otherwise here's my 2024 prediction early on, with * being a lock for area finals in skill:
1. Hebron**
2. Flower Mound**
3. Marcus**
4. Forney*
5. Prosper*
6. Wylie East*
7. Wylie*
8. McKinney Boyd*
9. McKinney High
10. Rock Hill*
11. Rockwall*
12. Pool from area finalists in 2023/2022

McKinney High just got their groove back this year and we will have to see if they maintain, but let's say they do, all these other bands have consistently made area finals the past 2-3 years (depending on the band), and there's no sign that this will be changing for now, and I do not like this fact, if we start seeing director shifts or dramatic changes then obviously this will have more of the random opportunities we've had in the past, but this area is starting to feel set in stone if nothing changes since teaching methods have only become more consistently good, and if anyone disagrees that's ok, I'm just concerned for what happens if there's zero hope for any band to break into area finals, I don't believe it should ever be competitive at this scale while locking many qualified groups out of the state experience, there's simply too many good groups in a cluster with a lack of potential for success.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:45 PM, TrenBS said:

Im going to be lightly focusing on this season this year (this is the only long post as it's a main concern of mine for the future), so this will be the only place I try to predict besides maybe a BOA, but with Forney moving up, I think this area has become overly competitive, to the point of ridiculousness, so many bands are now actively losing opportunities purely because they are in this area, I can see 5 potential State Finalists now with Prosper on an incredible incline and Forney who beat Leander at the State finals this past year, and what happens if a Frisco school like Wakeland or Lone Star move up? What about McKinney North? That's a very real possibility because I severely doubt those 3 (which also only bumps the area up to 35 bands with one school rarely advancing, so no more new area slots or state slots) would miss finals. This area and Area B need to be adjusted because I feel like it's going to stop being enjoyable for the middle road of bands when it becomes impossible to pierce into finals considering how consistent the finalist programs have and will become.

The area contest was built on a completely different foundation and competitiveness of Marching band, and now many bands that would easily have made state finals back in the 2000s and early 2010s (modern-day bands, not like them back in the 2000s) aren't even making state prelims, sometimes area finals, I believe something either needs to change about the structure of the area contest or a new area has to be made to counteract the serious density of North Texas, simply too many qualified bands are losing opportunities and it's getting frustrating honestly.

Anyways, here is my prediction, if Boyd introduces more advanced techniques to their consistency and recently strong writing, then I would place them somewhere in the qualifier spot, but otherwise here's my 2024 prediction early on, with * being a lock for area finals in skill:
1. Hebron**
2. Flower Mound**
3. Marcus**
4. Forney*
5. Prosper*
6. Wylie East*
7. Wylie*
8. McKinney Boyd*
9. McKinney High
10. Rock Hill*
11. Rockwall*
12. Pool from area finalists in 2023/2022

McKinney High just got their groove back this year and we will have to see if they maintain, but let's say they do, all these other bands have consistently made area finals the past 2-3 years (depending on the band), and there's no sign that this will be changing for now, and I do not like this fact, if we start seeing director shifts or dramatic changes then obviously this will have more of the random opportunities we've had in the past, but this area is starting to feel set in stone if nothing changes since teaching methods have only become more consistently good, and if anyone disagrees that's ok, I'm just concerned for what happens if there's zero hope for any band to break into area finals, I don't believe it should ever be competitive at this scale while locking many qualified groups out of the state experience, there's simply too many good groups in a cluster with a lack of potential for success.

I’m going on a limb and saying Prosper is above Forney. I know it’s my own school, but we have actually competed with 6A schools before, and we tend to place below prosper and all the Lewisville Schools. I am not overlooking our recent success, but it’s something that cannot be overlooked, regardless of BOA judging. However, I do have faith in Forney thriving in 6A, especially now that we’ve been brought into the spotlight. It’s something I wish I could experience, but unfortunately college calls and I answer. 😔

2 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I’m going on a limb and saying Prosper is above Forney. I know it’s my own school, but we have actually competed with 6A schools before, and we tend to place below prosper and all the Lewisville Schools. I am not overlooking our recent success, but it’s something that cannot be overlooked, regardless of BOA judging. However, I do have faith in Forney thriving in 6A, especially now that we’ve been brought into the spotlight. It’s something I wish I could experience, but unfortunately college calls and I answer. 😔

It definitely will be close between the two! I'm guessing the top 3 will remain the Lewisville schools. I think right now, I'd give 4th to Wylie, they've been on a role post-covid and haven't missed state the last 3 years, so unless the senior class leaving heavily hurts them, I don't see them dropping out of the top 6, though they could drop to 5th/6th. I think the last two spots, at least right now, will be Prosper and Forney. Forney did VERY well at state and boa SA, placing over schools like Leander, Wylie East, etc. Prosper was very strong last year, great show and I'd imagine we'll see them back at state unless something drastic happens. The biggest contesters would be Wylie East, Mckinney Boyd, Rockhill (last year was weird for them at area, think they will place much better next season) and Rockwall, who is always great. Ofc, East hasn't missed making state since their first time in 2019, but they would need to rise to the occasion and be able to take down Prosper and/or Forney, which didn't happen last year. Ofc, they did beat Prosper in 22, but they were strong then compared to last year. And it's not just competitive in the top half but getting into finals will be virtually impossible. Based on last season, were looking at 1st-10th being locks, as shown below, and the last two spots being up for grabs. Again, this is assuming none of the bands in the top 10 below fall off. I'd also imagine bands like Braswell, who did great all season but then missed area finals, are going to be out for blood. This will easily be the most competitive 6A area C to date, and I'm really hoping I can attend this one next year, as long Baylor doesn't have a FB game the same day. Here's my way to early predictions: 

1st: Hebron/Marcus 

2nd: Marcus/Hebron/Flomo

3rd: Marcus/Flomo 

4th: Wylie 

5th: Forney/Prosper 

6th: Prosper/Forney 

7th: Wylie East 

8th: Mckinney Boyd 

9th: Rockhill 

10th: Rockwall 

11th/12th: Mckinney/Byron Nelson/Lakeview Centennial/Braswell/Lewisville/Plano East/Little Elm/Plano Senior; could be any of these schools

I'm super excited for this area next year and can't wait to see how things shake up! 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:38 PM, Tubalord11 said:

It definitely will be close between the two! I'm guessing the top 3 will remain the Lewisville schools. I think right now, I'd give 4th to Wylie, they've been on a role post-covid and haven't missed state the last 3 years, so unless the senior class leaving heavily hurts them, I don't see them dropping out of the top 6, though they could drop to 5th/6th. I think the last two spots, at least right now, will be Prosper and Forney. Forney did VERY well at state and boa SA, placing over schools like Leander, Wylie East, etc. Prosper was very strong last year, great show and I'd imagine we'll see them back at state unless something drastic happens. The biggest contesters would be Wylie East, Mckinney Boyd, Rockhill (last year was weird for them at area, think they will place much better next season) and Rockwall, who is always great. Ofc, East hasn't missed making state since their first time in 2019, but they would need to rise to the occasion and be able to take down Prosper and/or Forney, which didn't happen last year. Ofc, they did beat Prosper in 22, but they were strong then compared to last year. And it's not just competitive in the top half but getting into finals will be virtually impossible. Based on last season, were looking at 1st-10th being locks, as shown below, and the last two spots being up for grabs. Again, this is assuming none of the bands in the top 10 below fall off. I'd also imagine bands like Braswell, who did great all season but then missed area finals, are going to be out for blood. This will easily be the most competitive 6A area C to date, and I'm really hoping I can attend this one next year, as long Baylor doesn't have a FB game the same day. Here's my way to early predictions: 

11th/12th: Mckinney/Byron Nelson/Lakeview Centennial/Braswell/Lewisville/Plano East/Little Elm/Plano Senior; could be any of these schools

I'm super excited for this area next year and can't wait to see how things shake up! 

I'm pretty sure based off the reported numbers that Lakeview will be moving down to 5A actually, which bodes well for their state chances! 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:38 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I’m also trying to see if I can attend, but knowing that I can’t drive will STINK when it comes to watching Forney. I’m learning how to drive soon, hopefully, but I hope I won’t have any issues with my college.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to put some variety into the flooded US bands and BOA front page lol, if you looked at what the spring UIL meeting entails, they may potentially change the 5 judge system to have Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Vis. Ensemble, and Vis. Individual. How do you guys think this may change the competition in terms of potential finalists, and state qualifiers?

I think personally (grain of salt, of course) we will see Marcus take 1st much more often considering their percussion and visuals place higher generally more consistently than Hebron, especially this year, I could see Prosper maybe taking ground from Flower Mound happening sooner unless they beef up next year, and Boyd will likely place consistently higher considering their percussion is one of the strongest programs (and from what Ive seen from their band they are going to be insane this year along with McKinney High), otherwise I cant really say and would like to hear some other peoples opinions, and maybe how it may affect some lower placing groups into maybe going way higher, curious on what other people think about it

10 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

Just to put some variety into the flooded US bands and BOA front page lol, if you looked at what the spring UIL meeting entails, they may potentially change the 5 judge system to have Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Vis. Ensemble, and Vis. Individual. How do you guys think this may change the competition in terms of potential finalists, and state qualifiers?

I think personally (grain of salt, of course) we will see Marcus take 1st much more often considering their percussion and visuals place higher generally more consistently than Hebron, especially this year, I could see Prosper maybe taking ground from Flower Mound happening sooner unless they beef up next year, and Boyd will likely place consistently higher considering their percussion is one of the strongest programs (and from what Ive seen from their band they are going to be insane this year along with McKinney High), otherwise I cant really say and would like to hear some other peoples opinions, and maybe how it may affect some lower placing groups into maybe going way higher, curious on what other people think about it

I think we definitely could see some new faces become more consistent programs, however, I wouldn’t imagine it would have to much of a change to who makes state consistently, at least the top 3 or 4 spots, but it definitely has the potential to shake things up and would bring some exciting change 

31 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I would love to see a separate place for UIL discussion as there are so many threads already. Add all the US Bands comps in along with BOA and it gets difficult to wade through at times. It’s overwhelming!

I was thinking the same thing earlier tonight when I got on here. It can be very overwhelming to have so many topics added at once. If TXBands could be similar to how Hornrank divides everything into its own category, I think that would be a whole lot better.

13 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

I was thinking the same thing earlier tonight when I got on here. It can be very overwhelming to have so many topics added at once. If TXBands could be similar to how Hornrank divides everything into its own category, I think that would be a whole lot better.

I definitely suggested it to the mods. I think @Clarinot is working on it. 🤗

• 1 month later...

So, for those unaware, Area C kinda just got turned inside out. With the creation of the new Area J, the bands from regions 2, 24, and 25 are no longer in Area C, and now compete in Area J. This means Hebron, marcus, Flomo, Wylie, Wylie East (my school), Prosper, Allen, Plano isd, etc are no longer in Area C. The main Area C competitors in the new allignment are Waxahachie, the Forneys, the Rockwalls, and Berkner to name a few! The conditions in Area J are pretty unique, so i recommend checking out that topic! Happy marching😊!

1 hour ago, Dave609 said:

I managed to find all the bands in this area-

6A Area C (Region 3, 4, 20, 21)-

Region 3 (11)-

Forney HS
Garland HS
John Horn HS
Mesquite HS
North Forney HS
North Garland HS
Rockwall HS
Rockwall-Heath HS
Rowlett HS
Royse City HS
Sachse HS

Region 4 (0 Bands)

Region 20 (13)-

Berkner HS
Dallas Jesuit HS
Duncanville HS
Irving HS
Irving MacArthur HS
Irving Nimitz HS
JJ Pearce HS
Lake Highlands HS
Lancaster HS
Richardson HS
Skyline HS
Washington HS
Waxahachie HS

Region 21 (2)-

Longview HS
Tyler Legacy HS

some notable changes include Duncanville, Berkner, Waxahachie and Forney being added to this area! In total, there are 26 bands meaning that at most, 5 bands can advance to state from this area

Thanks sooo much for this and the other big updates you made today, really helpful and appreciated! I think right now, it’s safe to say Waxahachie, Forney, and I’d imagine Ducanville will be the top 3, in that order. I’d at the moment have Rockwall in the 4th spot, and hopefully a 5th band goes, not really any room for area at region, but if all goes well, I’d say the 5th spot could go anywhere between Berkner, who’d I have there, and could contest for the 4th spot, depends if they hold their momentum, or other bands like Lake Highlands, Richardson, North Forney, Sachse, Royce City, JJ Pearce(big dark horse) or Rockwall Heath. I could also see Rockwall in 3rd if they have another strong show like last year. Idk how many to finals, but if it’s 10 here’s what I’m thinking at the moment: 

1st Waxahachie 

2nd: Forney 

3rd: Ducanville 

4th: Rockwall 

5th: LH/Berkner 

6th: Berkner/LH 

7th: JJ Pearce 

8th: Sachse 

9th: Richardson 

10th: North Forney/Heath 

Pearce is the biggest dark horse for me. They could be as high as 4th, or as low as 9th. They have an Amazing concert program and did make finals at a super competitive Area B, don’t count them out, should be a super fun area, praying that all the bands get 1’s! 

7 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Thanks sooo much for this and the other big updates you made today, really helpful and appreciated! I think right now, it’s safe to say Waxahachie, Forney, and I’d imagine Ducanville will be the top 3, in that order. I’d at the moment have Rockwall in the 4th spot, and hopefully a 5th band goes, not really any room for area at region, but if all goes well, I’d say the 5th spot could go anywhere between Berkner, who’d I have there, and could contest for the 4th spot, depends if they hold their momentum, or other bands like Lake Highlands, Richardson, North Forney, Sachse, Royce City, JJ Pearce(big dark horse) or Rockwall Heath. I could also see Rockwall in 3rd if they have another strong show like last year. Idk how many to finals, but if it’s 10 here’s what I’m thinking at the moment: 

1st Waxahachie 

Pearce is the biggest dark horse for me. They could be as high as 4th, or as low as 9th. They have an Amazing concert program and did make finals at a super competitive Area B, don’t count them out, should be a super fun area, praying that all the bands get 1’s! 

Waxahachie coming back is very very nice! I do agree with your predictions, but only time will tell what the programs next year shape out to be. (I will say I did know about the new area two months in advance). 

10 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Waxahachie coming back is very very nice! I do agree with your predictions, but only time will tell what the programs next year shape out to be. (I will say I did know about the new area two months in advance). 

Oh for sure anything could change between now and this comp! 

8 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

1st Waxahachie 

Depending on how richardson’s program does this year after their end to the season last year I could see them getting top 8- or maybe top 5 if berkner or Duncanville have a poor season