2024 WGI Discussion Thread

James Martin- shrouded in white: Great dance segment to open the show as we move into some small group flag work. Rifle soloists follow and are very clean. Great usage of the props throughout and the uniforms really help convey the theme. Love how they follow big flag moments by big rifle moments and vice versa, great saber work in the middle, great start to SA round 4. Great job James Martin! 

Burleson Centennial-from the front porch: Love this opening with the hand fan props as we move into some rifle solos, and my goodness they were killing them. Great flag work on the side that adds some great color to the rather dark tarp, which is very contradictory to the yellow uniforms. Love the color change in the group flag moments, helps add a bit of flare to the scene. A lot to like about this show, amazing job BC! 

Bryan-Mr. Monopoly: Love the groovy start with the red rifles and paper money flags, adds a lot to the story. Their male soloist was an absolute treat to watch throughout the show. More colored rifles, looks like a rainbow of them, but it helps make the multicolored uniforms pop. Great body work, and just a really fun show concept they are executing quiet well, tons of GE in this show. Oh, and look, it's the Police, guess were going to jail! Could be seeing them tomorrow? Great job Bryan!! 

Mansfield-tempted: very cool take and the Adam and Eve story! Some very impressive body work to start as off as we get some rifle tosses around the large tree prop in the middle of the tarp. Love how they use rifles and sabers to show the good and evil as we must decide which road to follow. Plenty of flag work in the background to add some color to this dark story. Soloist were on point, gold flags at the end really helped bring so much needed color to close out the story. Great job Mansfield! 

Lake Highlands- Beetlejuice: Incredible male soloist to open is off in this very dark world. I feel like I'm watching a Disney villain movie, with the scary music, purple flags mixed with the green uniforms and hypnotizing tarp. Body work really adds a lot to the show as we now move into a lighter feeling with some big gold flag work as we end the madness. Theme is expressed throughout the entire show, with so much going on all the time. Very fun show, great job Lake Highlands! 

Lovejoy-Lotus: Super proud alumni moment!! One of the best of all of SA today, I mean they were CLEAN! Plenty of bodywork throughout that expresses the show's theme, solo moments were on point, as well as the big group flag and rifle moments. I see why there having a great season so far. Tons of difficult stuff the nailed, and I'd be shocked if we don't see them again. Amazing job Lovejoy! 

Mount Pleasant- look up, look out: Very intriguing start with all the large Phone props, as we start to receive some notifications, our attention is turned towards some amazing saber work! Love the introduction of the flags in the background to add a nice taste of color as we continue some awesome saber work. Wow, very cool moment with the flags acting as barriers during the saber tosses. Some incredible group saber work as we move towards the end and realize we need more than phones in our life, we come back with some more beautiful flag work. A VERY talented group that we will most likely be seeing again, another favorite of mine, wonderful job Mount Pleasant!! 

Wylie- on the rooftops of London: Really intriguing start with the big red umbrellas paired with the black chimney uniforms as we move into some clean saber work. Great duet of flag and saber work, really love how the blue adds a nice touch of color to the red umbrellas. Great rifle work in the middle as we bring back the umbrellas to counter the coming storm. Great job of hiding the larger part of the group as we move into a big red flag and umbrella moment. Their achieving some very difficult while also maintaining a strong GE presence. Yeah @JazzRunthey were Incredible!!! 

Coppell HS A- safe and sound: some nice dance work to open up as we bring out some pretty white-gold flags for our first big group moment. Great solo rifle moments integrated throughout the big moments, and the soloists killed it! Great usage of the props, and great background flag work whenever the rifles take the main stage. Really like how the uniforms look against the tan-wood tarp. Great overall show with plenty of enjoyable moments, great job Coppel A! 

Cedar Park- the ever-expanding void and all of its beauty: Some space-feeling body work to start us off as we begin to hear the Interstellar theme and introduce out saber soloist, followed by void of complex rifle tosses. I do wish there was a bit lighter color, it's a dark show, both theme, tarp and the uniforms, however, it doesn't take away by the amazing performance these kids are putting on. Soloist were on fire, and they do very well introduce new concepts as the void starts to entrap us, growing in size over time. We move to end with a big flag group moment, trying to fight the void, but we are pulled towards its beauty as it sucks us in. Tons of GE, great performance all around, hope we get to see them again, amazing job Cedar Park!! 

Highland Park- just keep swimming: Some beautiful body work to start us out with some lovely John Mackey. Uniforms match very well with the incredible props, amazing flag work to go along with the bubble ball props. Soloist were great all around, love the big red flag that covers the performs and allows them to grab their rifles as we transition into some rifle action. Some big and very colorful flag work to end this sea show, with the members ending swimming on the tarp. Fun show that has some big potential, just needs some cleaning, but all around really good, amazing job HP! 

Azle- Bridge: What an opening moment with the saber soloist tossing on the rotating block! Very beautiful white uniforms that contrast the colorful tarp and backdrops. Very colorful flag work that's executed very well as we move into a big rifle moment. GE is present throughout, and the soloist killed it. Great prop usage as we change flag colors to go with the backdrops and move into a big flag moment that captures your attention with a single rifle soloist in the middle throwing down. I mean wow, that was one heck of a performance to close or SA competition, definitely will be seeing them again, amazing job Azle!! 

Flowermound-Fly: Great dance work and saber solos as we begin our journey in the sky. Love the color of the flags, really helps the colorful tarp pop. I do wish the uniforms weren't all black, thought they represent I believe the blackbird motioned in the song, so they help with the GE department from that standpoint. Talent is seen throughout this group, excellent usage of the props, great soloist in the middle section as we begin to build into our large rifle work. Gold flags work great with the black uniforms as we move into our big flag section mixed with rifles groups in the corners. I think there could me some more emotion expression, but they are pretty clean, tons of potential in this show, amazing job Flomo!! 

21 minutes ago, packwick said:

general thoughts from Houston:

surprised to see Grand Oaks so low, buuuut didn't see that round of comp today. could def see Pearland clobbering them upstairs, betting Pearland looks even nicer now with the full costuming + floor. been 3 weeks since we've seen em. Pearland on top overall but it's pretty close.

cywoods, 2nd overall, and woodlands jv, 3rd overall, were about what you'd expect. both very strong. felt like the performers in tw jv were stronger than the show design but that's kinda typical. scores were aight for the sa ones i saw, maybe a couple points low, but 4 rounds + lots of guards, etc.

open was a disappointment, kinda cruel maybe to put it that way but it just was. just lotsa jitters i guess, rough performances from all but Earl Warren, ofc one of the ones i didn't film, ugh! scores look right, rankingssss i might fuss a little about.

aaaaaand yes, Marcus and Coppell ARE actually that much better than the Houston opens this yr. Marcus was awesome as was Centerville. those lamps on Centerville's heads LOL. i love the weird sh** they do.

world class was underscored relative to other events today but diff panels etc.

tw world made me eat my words, well most of them. i gave them a standing ovation which i almost never do. Avon is a bit cleaner but not 4 points cleaner. overall i find twhs' show more effective which reeeeally surprised me. at times they looked like a top iw guard, the sheer numbers of weapons, + all the soloist skills done by groups. highest difficulty and risk of any SW show ive ever seen and ive seen em all. the peaks in this show are very very very high.

ORIGINS also was better than i thought, very clean, with lots of difficulty and risk, that they didn't hit 80 was weird weird weird to me. i guess it's not so far off that id use my favorite term "twilight zone judging" but it's close.

the worlds at H-town also didn't have any competition, could be a factor.

also the venue sucked. way too small for the amount of ppl crammed into the stands. i sat w/ the judges, still not a great view. migraine again from all the screaming. eeeeee!!!

I’m hoping they might have the ac turned off tomorrow so we aren’t all popsicles in the stands.  I’m sure the cooler temp was great for the performers… but no one else! I’m not asking for heat though- because that would make the crowded stands worse. 

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Mount Pleasant- look up, look out: Very intriguing start with all the large Phone props, as we start to receive some notifications, our attention is turned towards some amazing saber work! Love the introduction of the flags in the background to add a nice taste of color as we continue some awesome saber work. Wow, very cool moment with the flags acting as barriers during the saber tosses. Some incredible group saber work as we move towards the end and realize we need more than phones in our life, we come back with some more beautiful flag work. A VERY talented group that we will most likely be seeing again, another favorite of mine, wonderful job Mount Pleasant!! 

Wylie- on the rooftops of London: Really intriguing start with the big red umbrellas paired with the black chimney uniforms as we move into some clean saber work. Great duet of flag and saber work, really love how the blue adds a nice touch of color to the red umbrellas. Great rifle work in the middle as we bring back the umbrellas to counter the coming storm. Great job of hiding the larger part of the group as we move into a big red flag and umbrella moment. Their achieving some very difficult while also maintaining a strong GE presence. Yeah @JazzRunthey were Incredible!!! 

Coppell HS A- safe and sound: some nice dance work to open up as we bring out some pretty white-gold flags for our first big group moment. Great solo rifle moments integrated throughout the big moments, and the soloists killed it! Great usage of the props, and great background flag work whenever the rifles take the main stage. Really like how the uniforms look against the tan-wood tarp. Great overall show with plenty of enjoyable moments, great job Coppel A! 

Aww, thanks for this!! 😀 I’m so happy for them!

Wakeland-Train of thought: Some very intriguing dance work to start out this show as we move into some solo saber work. Really like the purple and silver uniforms against the white props/tarp. We move into some mixed saber and flag big group work as we progress into the story and our dragged into a dance section followed by some really impressive rifle work with blue and gold flags in the background. Some of our members disappear into the props to lead us into a big and bright finale with some group flag work. The theme is what I find hard to find in the show, but the talent is very high in this group, amazing performance Wakeland to open up SA! 

Frisco Liberty-fly away: Glad I got to have a second watch of this show. Those uniforms are SO cool, love the mask and arm sleeves, really add to the story! Same great saber work to open us up as our characters in the background lead us into some velvet red flag work that helps these uniforms stand out even more. Love the ever-extending rifle circle bring out flag members to the center, and then end with a big group flag moment that really helps add some GE to the floor as our character flies away. Great job Liberty! 

Rockwall-the fathoms below: Some great rifle work to start us out, as our main character is trapped in the sea, trying to find a way out. We move into some mixed flag and rifle group work; these kids are doing some really impressive stuff. Great usage of the props and the tarp throughout, as they refer to the Bermuda triangle throughout which is clearly marked and adds lots of GE. Some big expressive flag work at the end as our character is lost in the storm and is lost to the Bermuda triangle. Lots of talent and great things about this show, wonderful job Rockwall! 

Flowermound-crazy: Love the super colorful tarp, grabs your eyes right off the start. Some beautiful dance work and rifle soloist who's throwing down to kick us off. We move into some more craziness with some mixed flag and rifle work. Love the color of the flags, really helps all the colors come together as we move into some big group flag work to end all this craziness. Really like this show, very colorful and well executed. These girls are very talented, and you can tell, great job Flowermound!

Keller Central: talking in circles: Really like this dance work to kick us off as we move into some small group rifle work as the members are disconnecting from the bigger circle. Some flag work that has great color to go against this very artsy tarp. Was worried the early start was gonna hurt them, but they are showing why they deserve to be here. Love this big circle in the middle section, with our soloist being circled in by some flags and rifles as we move into a bright red flag group work finish, really puts a cherry on this amazing show, great job KC! 

Celina-trinity trove: Love the colors in this show, some very beautiful white uniforms against the big gold ball and some sparkly gold flag work to start us off. Some mixed saber and flag work as the big ball tears between the members, and we now bring out this gold poll with some rifle work. From an outsider, the story is hard to dig into, but these girls are so good! We move into some light grey group flag work with our main dancer in the middle showing off their amazing skills. Great overall show, just one that's hard to read for me, but amazing job Celina! 

L.D. Bell- away,away,away: Love the opening set with the members laid across the tarp diagonally as the get up one by one into some beautiful dace work. We move into some saber work as the body work continues in the background. Really well-done flag soloist that moves us into some group flag work with much needed color to go against the very dark uniforms and tarp. Amazing rifle work to encircle our flag members, adds some nice effect. Plenty of GE in this show, and the song really helps connect everything together as we move into a more chaotic section moving into a big flag moment. Another very fun show as we end how we started in the big line, great job Bell! 

Melissa-fast car: Happy I got a second viewing of this incredible show. Amazing flag work at the beginning with some dancing going on in the background. Great introduction of the rifles, lots going on all the time. Great usage of the car prop as we move into some big flag work that goes really well with these bright uniforms. A super cute show with tons of talent in this group, great job Melissa! 

The Colony-Sail: Some really nice body work as we begin to sail through this show with some saber solos. Great flag duets, the pink flags really help bring out the pink and white uniforms. Love the constant water sounds throughout, helps add a lot to the performance. Really like the staging, very well designed, and helps bring out the talent of this amazing group. Plenty of mixed flag and rifle work in the middle section. Big flag work at the end as we sail across the tarp and end our journey. Love this show a lot, great job The Colony! 

Royce City-lighthouse keeper: Great dace work to start us off and move into some small group flag work. Love the circles to represent the lighthouse as we move into some rifle work. Wow these kids are really good, another show I'm happy I got a second watch of. Love the lamp flags, adds some darkness to the very bright uniforms. The rifle work in this show is insane, yet they make it look easy. Again, really love how they transaction into this big group flag moment at the end, providing us some solo moments to distract you from the rather big weapon change, very smart. Great show all around, amazing job Royce City! 

Lovejoy-Lotus: Beautiful opening with the members running around our flag soloist on the white stage. Great saber work as we get things going, great cloth work in the background. Love the purple uniforms and flags against the white prop and tarp, really adds a nice taste of color. WOW, amazing rifle moment in this middle section, so much talent here. Big group flag work to close is out as we renter the circle we started with in the beginning, amazing job Lovejoy! 

Cedar Park-The Void and all of its beauty: God I love this show so much! Amazing body work to open us into some saber soloist who killed it. Great usage of the tarp, allowing us to see the members being pulled into the void as we get a mix of weapon work as our rifle members begin entrapping the flag soloist whose being sucked into the void. So much going on all the time as more flag members are being sucked in. Big group flag work at the end we everything becomes so chaotic as the void has fully taken us. Such a creative and so well-designed show being performed at such a high level, wonderful job Cedar Park! 

Emerson- The greatest of all time: Congratulations on making finals at your first ever WGI event Emerson! Some Very impressive body/dance work to open us up as we move into some solo/duet moments. My goodness these girls are SO GOOD! Nice transition into some colorful flag and rifle work, the green flags look really good with the white and purple gymnastic uniforms as we move into a big group flag moment. Yeah, this group is gonna be at the top real soon, some extremely impressive stuff for a first-year group. Love the balance beam props and how the use them for some solo tosses. Some great saber work to take us to another big group flag moment as our gymnast take home the gold. Amazing job Emerson, a group to watch in upcoming seasons for sure! 

Garland- the sound of rain: Great opening with some dance work leading into a rifle solo. Really love the storm effects going on in the background with more rifle solos and some flag work in the background. Love the purple flags against the black uniforms; my goodness these kids are so together, coordination is very good, really enjoy the design of this show. Big flag moment at the end that follows so well with the music. Lacks any sabers which isn't bad, but I feel like the weapon presence could have been stronger, but regardless great job Garland! 

Mckinney Boyd-how long before I'm dust: Amazing dance to start us off as we move into some very difficult rifle solo moments that they absolutely killed with some nice flag work in the background to add some color to this dark world. Love the uniform variations, helps each individual stand out, great prop usage. One of their soloists had some nerves which did cause some pretty big drops, I think yesterday may have been a cleaner run, but still amazing job Boyd! 

Wylie-on the rooftops of London: @JazzRunanother amazing performance by this super talented group! Love the red umbrella opening, great body work to go with them, and they go well with the black uniforms and blue tarp/backdrops. Great saber soloist as we move into a small group saber moment and a uniform change from our chimney girls that I didn't even notice the first time around, adds great affect! Such pretty blue flag work in line with some challenging saber work. Love how they so seamlessly introduce the rifles as we move into some very difficult rifle work they killed. Probably my favorite SA show here, though I haven't seen Rock Hill yet, but an incredible performance from Wylie! 

Coppell A-safe and sound: Great dance work to kick us off as we move into some beautiful flag work. Really love the colors, with the white uniforms against the gold flags and wood-tan tarp. Great big group flag work in the start as we move into some rifle solo and big group moments. Great mixing of flags and rifles, adds some nice GE to this beautiful show, just so much to enjoy from this show and the amazing performs, some good things cooking over at Coppell, amazing job Coppell A! 

Azle-bridge: really beautiful dance work to start us off into some saber soloist. Great usage of the prop to stage some difficult saber solo moments as we move into some colorful flag work behind the continuous saber work. Great transition into some great rifle solos they nailed! Love the color scheme with the white uniforms against the colorful backdrops and tarp. Some really expressive and colorful group flag work as we cross a bridge of color. Such a talented group really enjoyed this performance, wonderful job Azle! 

Rock Hill-the house that built me: WOW Rock Hill! Big door/stage prop works very well to introduce our first few members as we move into some small group saber work, amazing flag soloist while all of this is going on. Love the uniform variation, great prop usage. Incredible rifle soloist as we move into a group rifle moment. Talent all across the board, tons of GE and great storytelling. They are so good at their weapon transitions, such a beautiful flag moment at the end that represent blank photos as we return to the house. Hebron's gonna have to bring it if they want to stay number one because that was just flawless, amazing performance Rock Hill!! 

Hebron- If I only: Amazing dance scene and rifle soloist to kick us off! WOW, perfect rifle tosses across the tarp, great flag work going on in the background to add some color. These girls are ON FIRE! Blown away by how clean they are. Tons of GE throughout, great prop usage to set up the soloist. Love how they interwind the flags and rifles to add some nice touch of fire red as we move into our big group flag moment to end the show. Yeah, it's gonna be really close between them and RH, but that was CLEAN, amazing job Hebron!! 

Ronald Reagan- Sweet of the matriarch: Incredible dance work and saber soloist to start of the show as more sabers enter. Some really nice flag work that adds some texture to the incredible saber moments. Love the pink flags against the purple uniforms, great use of the big stage prop to constantly show off some solo moments as we move into some really nice rifle work that's very in time. I don't think yesterday's score was an accurate representation of this group because these girls are KILLING it! Big gold and fire-orange flag moment to close off the show. If anything is hurting them, it's got to be GE, because the execution level is very high, amazing job Reagan! 

Timber Creek-Rock, Paper, Scissors: Love the games of RPS going on right of the rip. Some really colorful flag work that blends really well with the uniforms. Another missed uniform change🫣. Really great flag designs, adds so much affect to the amazing performance these girls are giving. Love the multiple music changes, really helps set the tone with the different performance styles, and again love the flag variation. Some great rifle work to move us into a big flag finale, amazing job TC! 

Little Elm-The Joke: THEIR FLAG WORK IS UNBELIVEABLE!!! Great dance section to start us off, followed by some great saber work. Really like the moving square, that's moving with every other member being a flag or rifle member. Great color choices, but wow these girls are SO GOOD, amazing job Little Elm 

Coppell- In Fantasia: Love this show so much! The big crystal prop helps add some nice glowing color to match the green uniforms. Some really lovely flag work throughout, really helped the uniforms pop. Saber and rifle work was also really good, although like Body earlier, had a big soloist drop some big tosses, which could open the way for Little Elm to pass them, but the big group stuff was WOW! GE is very high, and they are gonna do well the rest of this season, incredible job Coppell! 

Marcus- The arrow plane: Wow Marcus, just wow. Such an emotionally powerful story, with top tier performers. They are so clean, loved the entire show, just so magical what they do every year, they are gonna go far with this amazing show, awesome job Marcus!!