UIL Area D 6A

ReveriesOp24

39 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

Btw, does Westwood still plan on attending St. Louis since they made State?

St. Louis > State > BOA SA back to back feels a bit intense. I recall RRs State > BOA SA > Nats saga resulted in minor injuries and general fatigue throughout the band. I certainly hope the kids are allowed to rest when they can, no break between St. Louis and State seems killer. 

I spoke with some Westwood parents last night and yes...they were planning on doing all three if they made state.  😱

5 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

Hey to be completely honest I could've seen McNeil clawing into an advancement spot! Y'all are doing really well this year and I'm so so excited for the future of RRISD, I'm hoping for the day we can see all of RRISD sitting in finals together at BOA/State. That trumpet soloist is killer too, I hope he gets his flowers. The kids seem pretty passionate this year :)

What must be frustrating for McNeil is despite improving all around (from show design to music to drill) over the last 3 years that they've continually finished 9th place in Area each one of those 3 years.  I definitely feel for them.

27 minutes ago, TacosNSalsa said:

I wish I could say I was surprised that CR did not make it - but with the improvement across the board in Area D - this was a VERY tough contest. I hate that students feel like failures. That said,  disappointment is a part of caring so much. Kids are resilient. And so are directors. 

The finalist bands are all working tirelessly to improve - design teams, staffs, kids - it has been a collective effort of so many. And, for a band to move up, someone else has to get bumped. I get a sense there will be a lot of those surprises at State and BOA in the weeks to come. It's not that "something bad happened" to a program - it's that another program has improved that much.

I think it is very important that programs do not see placements year to year as the measure of "progress." Different contest dynamics, different judges - it just doesn't work that way. Our programs in Area D are STRONGER than they have been in a long time. I hope all of the bands who competed at our Area contest are proud of their work and proud to be a part of such an incredible culture of bands in Texas.

I am blown away by what is happening on the field right now.

Very well said! To this Area specifically, Westwood and Dripping Springs are both having incredible seasons, arguably Westwood's best to date! I have very high hopes and expectations for them this weekend going into St. Louis, and who knows, with some of our finalist from last year's boa SA not coming this year, maybe this will be there year to make finals there! Cedar Ridge is still an incredible and very accomplished program and I hope they don't let this one result get to them. Coming from a school (Lovejoy), where we always did very well at the local contest, some very stacked, leading up to area but always feel short of state, it's not easy to feel motivated to want to improve, but you can't let one result get in the way of you being the best you can be! Ik they will come back stronger than ever at SA and blow us all away! 

Impressive finish from Hutto.

This is such a tough area because there aren’t really any “filler” finals groups, they’re all fighting immensely hard (and have a realistic shot) at taking one of those state spots. With Dripping Springs move up to 6A, the opening of M&G Johnson and the rapid improvement of McNeil this area seems to have the highest jump in difficulty in recent years.

Not to mention the consistent fights bands like Churchill and Weiss put up to secure a spot in finals.

On 10/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, Miyazuu said:

Btw, does Westwood still plan on attending St. Louis since they made State?

St. Louis > State > BOA SA back to back feels a bit intense. I recall RRs State > BOA SA > Nats saga resulted in minor injuries and general fatigue throughout the band. I certainly hope the kids are allowed to rest when they can, no break between St. Louis and State seems killer. 

Yes, we are still going to BOA St. Louis. This intense schedule has its own long story. We originally thought that we will just not go to state and do BOAs only (Austin, St. Louis, and SA). But the RRISD announced that every band who qualified state is required to go. But at that time the trip to st. Louis is alreadyplanned an booked. This is why ww is going to all of them. Thank you for your concern tho!

12 minutes ago, jognithin said:

Yes, we are still going to BOA St. Louis. This intense schedule has its own long story. We originally thought that we will just not go to state and do BOAs only (Austin, St. Louis, and SA). But the RRISD announced that every band who qualified state is required to go. But at that time the trip to st. Louis is alreadyplanned an booked. This is why ww is going to all of them. Thank you for your concern tho!

Most districts require their bands to attend UIL events and pay for their transportation costs to them for area and state, if they qualify. 

9 hours ago, lost said:

Impressive finish from Hutto.

This is such a tough area because there aren’t really any “filler” finals groups, they’re all fighting immensely hard (and have a realistic shot) at taking one of those state spots. With Dripping Springs move up to 6A, the opening of M&G Johnson and the rapid improvement of McNeil this area seems to have the highest jump in difficulty in recent years.

Not to mention the consistent fights bands like Churchill and Weiss put up to secure a spot in finals.

Although it may not seem like it, Churchill is right up there with McNeil. They beat them at Vista Ridge and then were only behind them by 14 points which isn’t a lot for uil considering the 8th place band was over 100 points ahead of McNeil. 

44 minutes ago, TenerSacs said:

Although it may not seem like it, Churchill is right up there with McNeil. They beat them at Vista Ridge and then were only behind them by 14 points which isn’t a lot for uil considering the 8th place band was over 100 points ahead of McNeil. 

I disagree with this analysis handily but it’s always good to have some healthy disagreement.

Churchill is a great band and I wish them luck in their future, I just think that in the present McNeil has the margin by a good hand.

16 minutes ago, lost said:

I disagree with this analysis handily but it’s always good to have some healthy disagreement.

Churchill is a great band and I wish them luck in their future, I just think that in the present McNeil has the margin by a good hand.

I very much so disagree. Churchill literally beat McNeil. Like placed higher. If McNeil had the upper hand by a lot, they would have beat them. And even at Area they would have beat them by wayyyy more. I think it just seems like Churchill is worse because they’ve been on a steady uphill while McNeil just shot up to the top immediately this year. 

1 minute ago, TenerSacs said:

I very much so disagree. Churchill literally beat McNeil. Like placed higher. If McNeil had the upper hand by a lot, they would have beat them. And even at Area they would have beat them by wayyyy more. I think it just seems like Churchill is worse because they’ve been on a steady uphill while McNeil just shot up to the top immediately this year. 

I’d also consider the judging system being different in the two contests mentioned, I think that should also be taken into consideration as well.

1 hour ago, jognithin said:

If Westwood wants some rest, I'm sure Cedar Ridge would gladly pinch hit for RRISD at state 😉

Just now, jognithin said:

I’d also consider the judging system being different in the two contests mentioned, I think that should also be taken into consideration as well.

Churchill beat McNeil by .7 points at Vista ridge. On the UIL scoring system, 14 points is pretty equal. It was and will continue to be a very close contest between the two.

5 minutes ago, TenerSacs said:

Churchill beat McNeil by .7 points at Vista ridge. On the UIL scoring system, 14 points is pretty equal. It was and will continue to be a very close contest between the two.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument. I truly admire both bands’ effort and show that they performed in Area. I had so much fun watching them.

1 hour ago, TenerSacs said:

Churchill beat McNeil because of one visual judge that had them 7th. They were ahead of WCHS in music by 9 points.