UIL Area D 6A

ReveriesOp24

Yes I am calling out my bias for Westwood as a former guard mom and announcer for them.

• Westwood's show last night was CLEAN. The guard was spot on. The music is fantastic. I think this is the first show since Believe that I can honestly say is mature and just flat out great for them. That ballad and how they rearranged it since BOA Austin..OMG makes me want to cry. 
  • Cedar Ridge looks visually stunning on the field. But it almost looked list night like they were tired? I don't know how to quite describe how I felt watching them. I guess I kept comparing it to last year's show and it just isn't that show. But that's just my opinion. I love the colors. And I love the guard hair extensions...they literally make me want to go out and buy some. 
  • It is so weird for me to see Round Rock in different unis. Great show like always.
  • Stony Point is so darn grown up. I'm so proud of how far they have come in a few short years. Their show is really good.
  • McNeil..another wow they are growing up. I can't get over how far the RRISD bands have come over the years. This show is really fantastic. 
  • Weiss. Their band seems smaller this year. Great show though. Nice and tight and crisp tight lines.
  • Hutto was the band that blew me away. #1, they must have gotten a new band director because their drill and must was completely different than anything I had seen from them in the past. HOLY CRAP. I took some video and sent it to my daughter who replied, "Are we sure that isn't a RRISD or LISD band?" Their band is huge with a great field presence and excellent guard. Their drill design and music was great. #2, they got new uniforms this year and they look great out on that field. I wasn't expecting this performance from Hutto. I mean, it came out of nowhere. But remember, I'm a nobody. I'm just a fan. But it was really great.
  • Manor I thought did 150 percent better than last year. They are a tiny band for 6A compared to everyone else. Their drill was lovely and so different and way more intricate than last year. They are making their way and getting better and better every year. Way to go!
  • RRJV was great as well. I think its freaking cool that they get to march at region. As a freshman in hs, we did the same. We marched as a freshman band at region and we were the only band in our region to do so. It was great! So I'm so glad that these kids get to do the same. They were really wonderful.

It was a great night and I'm so glad I got to see them. Area should be fun.

Here’s where info will be available. I feel like this is an area where there’s there’s some real tension as to who makes it.

Will DS make state again? Will Bowie pull it off? Could CTJ really miss after winning state in 2020? Will McNeil or Churchill surprise almost everyone by making state?

https://www.uilmusicregion18.com/area-dates-sites-and-schedules.html

1 hour ago, seafoodbuffet said:

Here’s where info will be available. I feel like this is an area where there’s there’s some real tension as to who makes it.

Will DS make state again? Will Bowie pull it off? Could CTJ really miss after winning state in 2020? Will McNeil or Churchill surprise almost everyone by making state?

https://www.uilmusicregion18.com/area-dates-sites-and-schedules.html

Area D is going to be insanely competitive this year with Westwood, McNeil, Hutto, and Churchill stepping it up.  Throw in the usual state contenders (Round Rock, Reagan, CTJ, Dripping Springs, Bowie, and Cedar Ridge) and you can see there's going to be some really deserving bands of state that unfortunately won't go to state.

You really just never know what's gonna happen when it comes to Area D That's what makes it such a fun contest to watch! No matter what happens I expect everyone to bring their A-game which is why it makes it hard to predict every possible outcome. For example, CTJ may not be as strong as they have been in the past but they're not going to come to Area and just give up. The same goes for CR their show may not be as compelling as last year but they always give a stunning final's performance and they made state since 2014 so it's hard to bet against them. Round Rock has a lot of drive and you can tell from their region performance they really want to make this year count. Dripping Springs made it last year which shows that they have the ability to compete and give a clean show. More than likely DS will be a state qualifier. 

1 hour ago, bchorn said:

Area D is going to be insanely competitive this year with Westwood, McNeil, Hutto, and Churchill stepping it up.  Throw in the usual state contenders (Round Rock, Reagan, CTJ, Dripping Springs, Bowie, and Cedar Ridge) and you can see there's going to be some really deserving bands of state that unfortunately won't go to state.

Luckily Leander ISD is in a different Area, else you'd have some possible state finalists not making it to state at all. Maybe that happens already.

5 hours ago, bsk said:

Luckily Leander ISD is in a different Area, else you'd have some possible state finalists not making it to state at all. Maybe that happens already.

I'm confused. None of the bands I mentioned are Leander ISD.  In fact, all of the bands I mentioned are in Area D and will be competing against each other on Saturday night.

Just now, bchorn said:

I'm confused. None of the bands I mentioned are Leander ISD.  In fact, all of the bands I mentioned are in Area D and will be competing against each other on Saturday night.

I think they were just building off of your comment and not trying to correct you.  Their point was that area D would be even more ridiculously stacked with Leander ISD in it, which is true.

1 minute ago, LostChoirGuy said:

I think they were just building off of your comment and not trying to correct you.  Their point was that area D would be even more ridiculously stacked with Leander ISD in it, which is true.

Oh yeah...Leander ISD split off from the Austin ISD/RR ISD area a while ago.  Its crazy how many really good bands are in Austin. 

4 hours ago, Clark_DM_2009 said:

Churchill has never won state, but won BOA San Antonio a couple times in the 90's before it became a "super regional" in 2003. NEISD's MacArthur High School does have a couple state championships however!

That's right! NEISD has had 3 State Marching Band Championships. MacArthur in '84 and '85 and then CTJ in '20

3 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

That was exactly what I meant. My apologies if it was unclear. It's true in 5A perhaps even more than in 6A.

11 hours ago, bchorn said:

It used to be much more competitive when Leander ISD and Westlake used to be in area D.