2023 BOA Katy (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

15 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Me just over here trying to figure out who you're talking about in that last paragraph. 🧐 "But they've... But they've all judged in Texas the past 20 years... I'm so confused..." 😂

I still need to see a more recent video of Johnson and Reagan, with all the costumes and whatnot.

I'm also still wondering if Pearland or some other band can sneak into the top 3 here, like a Rouse-style upset. That would be really cool. It's about time for Houston to dominate at their own regional!

stay confused, hon! STAY CONFUSED!!!

jk. no, i just totally f***** that up. it should read regionals that ive been paying attention to LOL.

I'm excited to see how Katy High will stack up in such a loaded field.  Making the top half would be awesome, but that's a big ask considering the field.  It's gonna be fun to watch all of the great bands performing right in our backyard.  I think folks will enjoy our show, if nothing else.  Gershwin, Ticheli, Bonnie Tyler, Ace of Base...what's not to like, hah!

2 hours ago, TigerJ948 said:

I'm excited to see how Katy High will stack up in such a loaded field.  Making the top half would be awesome, but that's a big ask considering the field.  It's gonna be fun to watch all of the great bands performing right in our backyard.  I think folks will enjoy our show, if nothing else.  Gershwin, Ticheli, Bonnie Tyler, Ace of Base...what's not to like, hah!

I think they are in a good position, I just think last year a lot of bands that did really good that previous year happened to not do very well at this, cy-falls jumped from 15-26th, which is one example, either way, it’s a new year, Katy is going to do amazing.

aaaaand just like that Cy Fair became a likely lock for the top half at this contest.

gonna be interesting to see what a different panel at Katy thinks about the bands at Conroe which were all pretty close in score.

stiilll not quite sure who id have on top here. been a season of surprises (ish) so far in TX. Pearland upset??? that'd be fun!!

every time twhs comes out imma think of Nic Cage in The Wicker Man. "Not the bees!!! Arrrrghhh!!!" still needs some cleeeeaning in first half, not sure the bee/Pikachu costumes are doing them favors, can't tell how those woodwind blocks are supposed to come together after the jazz running + not totally in the pocket rhythmically. very hard show, hasn't been this tough since 2019, may leave an opening near the top at Katy.

20 minutes ago, packwick said:

CRY FAIR!!! LOL i love this typo!!!

i think twhs maybe has winning content/design, i don't know if they'll have winning perf (besides guard) by this Sat. they also need to figure out how they'll get 6 mins on the field to avoid a penalty lol. i think this is a good opportunity for them to retool the ballad a little bit into something more goosebumpy, also to let it breathe more, add 15 secs or whatever, sounds like they're rushing through it and trying to get it over with right now lol. youre supposed to be judged on the quality of what is presented, not the length, at least that's the way it's done in wgi, thinking prob the same for BOA based on Marcus 2011.

hope B-land finds their way into finals and the top half!!! what other ppl have been saying about their music has me a little freaked out tho!!

cywoods, 7L, and Foster will have to be a little cleaner than yesterday to top Dawson here methinks. actually i recall thinking Foster and cywoods were a little underscored in finals, we'll see.

Omg I didn’t even notice Cry Fair 😭😭😭

The Woodlands

CTJ 

Ronald Reagan 

Pearland 

Cy Fair 

Bowie 

Cy Woods 

Seven lakes 

Foster 

Friendswood

Dawson

Bridgeland

the shows from Conroe that I saw really will need to clean up to feel confident in making finals. I will only count the top 6 in my list as locks as of now— especially looking back at Conroe 

On 12/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2023 Katy Regional will be held Oct. 7 at Legacy Stadium in Katy, TX.

OFFICIAL PRELIMS SCHEDULE AS OF 10/02/2023:

7:15 - Spring H.S., TX
7:30 - Shadow Creek H.S., TX
7:45 - Magnolia West H.S., TX
8:00 - Katy H.S., TX
8:15 - Franklin H.S., TX
8:30 - Pearland H.S., TX
8:45 - Tomball Memorial H.S., TX

BREAK

9:30 - Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
9:45 - James Bowie H.S., TX
10:00 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
10:15 - Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:30 - Cypress Park H.S., TX
10:45 - Paetow H.S., TX
11:00 - The Woodlands H.S., TX
11:15 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
11:30 - Friendswood H.S., TX

BREAK

12:30 - Morton Ranch H.S., TX
12:45 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
1:00 - Bridgeland H.S., TX
1:15 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
1:30 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
1:45 - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
2:00 - Dawson H.S., TX

BREAK

2:45 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX
3:00 - Foster H.S., TX
3:15 - Clear Springs H.S., TX
3:30 - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
3:45 - Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
4:00 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
4:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX

CLASS A:
Franklin H.S., TX

CLASS AAA:
Friendswood H.S., TX
Magnolia West H.S., TX

CLASS AAAA:
Brazoswood H.S., TX
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Falls H.S., TX
Cypress Park H.S., TX
Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX* (just over the line, could be AAA or AAAA)
James Bowie H.S., TX
James E. Taylor H.S., TX
Katy H.S., TX
Morton Ranch H.S., TX
Oak Ridge H.S., TX
Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
Paetow H.S., TX
Pearland H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Seven Lakes H.S., TX
Shadow Creek H.S., TX
Spring H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Tomball Memorial H.S., TX

Refer to the OP as always for any schedule changes. Classes of bands are there as well thanks again to Yayband. 

1 hour ago, BandLOL said:

really only seems to be 8 finalist locks. In my opinion there seems to be about 8 bands who could make a tun for the last 4 spots for finals most notably being dawson, foster, shadow creek, Spring, Magnolia, seven lakes

very accurate hope to see some new faces like shadow creek and dawson at finals.

4 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I agree! I just caught them in a video and wish I could update my predictions. Like last year, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a group that made finals at Conroe miss finals here.

I'm excited to see them. The name stuck out to me -- I think because their guard made National A finals at TCGC State this past season.

My gut for this contest is still CTJ versus TWHS, but I haven't really seen enough of either to be sure. I haven't really seen a video of Reagan with good audio, either. 😔

Definitely, I'm curious to see where Pearland and James Bowie end up here, since they're two bands that are attending Nationals and maybe aren't complete locks for National finals yet. Are we in for some surprises, like at BOA Austin and BOA North Houston?

A very stacked contest! Best of luck to all!

7 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I'm excited to see them. The name stuck out to me -- I think because their guard made National A finals at TCGC State this past season.

My gut for this contest is still CTJ versus TWHS, but I haven't really seen enough of either to be sure. I haven't really seen a video of Reagan with good audio, either. 😔

Definitely, I'm curious to see where Pearland and James Bowie end up here, since they're two bands that are attending Nationals and maybe aren't complete locks for National finals yet. Are we in for some surprises, like at BOA Austin and BOA North Houston?

A very stacked contest! Best of luck to all!

hmmm twhs is still struggling w/ their show a bit, esp musically. im hearing the struggle in their ensemble brass sound riiight away, trumpets particularly. wondering if it's a younger section, 'cause their trumpets were so killer in 2021!! kinda goes back and forth b/w stuff that sounds okay and stuff w/ significant balance, blend, and tuning issues. ending clearly still a work in progress, some cool stuff in there, could be more interesting visually, very blocky, more like typical Vanderkolff.

actually kinda an old fashioned music program from them, virtually none of the interesting electronic or vocal stuff that u come to expect from a Vanderkolff show. good or bad depending on how u see it.

no idea how it compares to CTJ, etc.

54 minutes ago, packwick said:

hmmm twhs is still struggling w/ their show a bit, esp musically. im hearing the struggle in their ensemble brass sound riiight away, trumpets particularly. wondering if it's a younger section, 'cause their trumpets were so killer in 2021!! kinda goes back and forth b/w stuff that sounds okay and stuff w/ significant balance, blend, and tuning issues. ending clearly still a work in progress, some cool stuff in there, could be more interesting visually, very blocky, more like typical Vanderkolff.

actually kinda an old fashioned music program from them, virtually none of the interesting electronic or vocal stuff that u come to expect from a Vanderkolff show. good or bad depending on how u see it.

no idea how it compares to CTJ, etc.

Is there a YouTube video? I can't find any.