2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

2 minutes ago, BoaBetter said:

I just think personally woodlands or marcus earned it more with there significantly higher production and high energy shows

well if it makes u feel better they were a lot closer to Vandy in prelims. 95.7, 95.45, and 95.35. but then prelims scores tend to be more bunched up....

y

21 minutes ago, BoaBetter said:

How does the most boring show at a BOA competition manage to win 😔

They deserved it, everyone is so used to moving props and light up shows, Vandy was just pure talent this year. Idk if you noticed but MANY 6A bands chose to go a simpler route this year, for example FloMo’s show this year as opposed to 2021 and 2022 is drastically different. 

I noticed that Rouse had mics on each side of the field (not soloist mics, it looked like they were directly picking up the band). Is this not just a cheap way to artificially increase their sound? Seems like they’re less of a “small band with a big sound” and more of a “small band that can afford good microphones”. Especially since they only really have big hits when they’re at the front of the field.

9 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

I'm fairly certain this isn't a Rouse exclusive thing. 

I noticed other bands too but almost none of the other upper half bands had mics set up in that fashion. I’m just saying that it feels weird to credit a band for having a loud sound when they’re practically playing into mics linked up to giant speakers. I will admit that the quality of their music is great, but so is any other band at this level. 

4 hours ago, RottenPredictions said:

Cedar Ridge was so proud to earn that nickname last year,  so your comment makes me sad. 

But I agree with the rest. Awesome performance Vista Ridge!

I vividly remember many comments circulating on these boards in 2018 calling them “Vista Freaking Ridge” when they had their crazy stretch to win state, so it actually originated with them. They just didn’t have the arrogance to print it on their shirts and then fail to make state or SA finals the next year. Call me salty, but Cedar Ridge parents were so cocky and pretentious last year and I’ve personally witnessed many of them bringing down other programs at competitions.

47 minutes ago, david19c said:

I noticed that Rouse had mics on each side of the field (not soloist mics, it looked like they were directly picking up the band). Is this not just a cheap way to artificially increase their sound? Seems like they’re less of a “small band with a big sound” and more of a “small band that can afford good microphones”. Especially since they only really have big hits when they’re at the front of the field.

Oh, wow. I posted back in September during BOA Austin about audience members (who I didn't want to say were Vista parents/volunteers at the time) talking negatively about Rouse and their mic use. Now it's the end of the season and it seems like nothing's changed, a vista tied individual talking negatively about Rouse volume. I wouldn't be shocked if you were the person I was sitting near at that time, I can only hope it's not a trend in the parents, your complaints are the same lmfao. A lot of programs mic, I'm not sure why Vista people have a reoccurring issue with Rouse's use of them. 

3 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

Oh, wow. I posted back in September during BOA Austin about audience members (who I didn't want to say were Vista parents/volunteers at the time) talking negatively about Rouse and their mic use. Now it's the end of the season and it seems like nothing's changed, a vista tied individual talking negatively about Rouse volume. I wouldn't be shocked if you were the person I was sitting near at that time, I can only hope it's not a trend in the parents, your complaints are the same lmfao. A lot of programs mic, I'm not sure why Vista people have a reoccurring issue with Rouse's use of them. 

I’m not sure why it matters who made the comment of a fact. Either there are mics or there aren’t, it’s not any sort of opinion. It’s like commenting that someone’s’ uniforms are black, so what, either they’re black or they’re not. 

4 minutes ago, Ruprecht88 said:

I’m not sure why it matters who made the comment of a fact. Either there are mics or there aren’t, it’s not any sort of opinion. It’s like commenting that someone’s’ uniforms are black, so what, either they’re black or they’re not. 

I think we're at a misunderstanding. You had actually commented on my post back in September asking me to call out which parents were making negative remarks on another program, so I'd believe we're on the same page that it's not something that should be done in the stands, speaking negatively of others just to be clear.

The other person wasn't simply stating they have mics, that would be fair commentary. They're pointing out that it's "weird to credit" Rouse for volume if they're mic'd. While pointing out mic use is fine, this is now the second occurrence I've seen where Vista aligned individuals speak negatively on Rouse specifically by pointing out their mic use, which again, a lot of bands use. Even saying their success in volume is tied with money. Even without mics, Rouse has some serious volume, and it's not like the judges can't tell the difference.

59 minutes ago, Miyazuu said:

I think we're at a misunderstanding. You had actually commented on my post back in September asking me to call out which parents were making negative remarks on another program, so I'd believe we're on the same page that it's not something that should be done in the stands, speaking negatively of others just to be clear.

The other person wasn't simply stating they have mics, that would be fair commentary. They're pointing out that it's "weird to credit" Rouse for volume if they're mic'd. While pointing out mic use is fine, this is now the second occurrence I've seen where Vista aligned individuals speak negatively on Rouse specifically by pointing out their mic use, which again, a lot of bands use. Even saying their success in volume is tied with money. Even without mics, Rouse has some serious volume, and it's not like the judges can't tell the difference.

So I understand, you claim to have heard a vista person disparage rouse because they have some high level of funds to spend on mics?