UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

5 hours ago, tennertrumbow said:

i think they’ll do good, but it will be tough to break into the top 4 state qualifiers if mckinney north keeps up their momentum this year and with wakeland back in the mix

McKinney North is on severe upward momentum from what I know with their feeders and staff, theyve got younger members stepping up alot with a really cool show in the making, would not be surprised to see them at 2nd this year for area, 4th at worst for my prediction (anything is possible but thats just my thoughts).

And if they make state I can only assume they place in finals.

16 hours ago, TrenBS said:

McKinney North is on severe upward momentum from what I know with their feeders and staff, theyve got younger members stepping up alot with a really cool show in the making, would not be surprised to see them at 2nd this year for area, 4th at worst for my prediction (anything is possible but thats just my thoughts).

And if they make state I can only assume they place in finals.

for sure, their programming was good last year so we’ll see how they do this time around

lone star has a really hard music book this year, and it is way harder than anything previous years have done, so if they can pull it off it will be good

1 minute ago, tennertrumbow said:

for sure, their programming was good last year so we’ll see how they do this time around

lone star has a really hard music book this year, and it is way harder than anything previous years have done, so if they can pull it off it will be good

We will see, I personally want North to come out on top since its my now alma mater district, but will be happy with them qualifying for state, they are trying to fix the worst feeder in the district which is what caused their slump besides staff changes

On 7/18/2023 at 10:48 AM, TrenBS said:

We will see, I personally want North to come out on top since its my now alma mater district, but will be happy with them qualifying for state, they are trying to fix the worst feeder in the district which is what caused their slump besides staff changes

2 hours ago, tennertrumbow said:

no i get it lol, i go to lone star so ofc im predisposed 

I'm hoping Area B can get to 5 bands, and it would be really cool to see North Return to state. 

On 7/21/2023 at 11:12 AM, northtexasbandfan said:

Frisco Wakeland has a new Assistant Band Director, who just came over after 6 years as an Associate Band Director at Flower Mound.

I mean if he is anything like Brent, than Wakelands gonna be on a new level, which I could honestly see if them and Lone Star ever become 6A would cause another shakeup in the area zoning because having the top 4-5 being locked every year would really call for a rezoning of at least one group

2 minutes ago, CardinalNation said:

Area B is going to be insane, and as a Melissa resident and fan of the McKinney bands too... the fight for top 4 will be crazy. Looking at it myself I see a finish looking like 

1. Wakeland 2. Lone Star 3-4. Argyle/Melissa/Lone Star/ any other sneaky Frisco programs

I'm so excited to see how things shake up there.

Idk if Melissa is gonna be top 5. They are good, but Imo, it’s gonna take them a while to get towards the top. Argyle was barely 4th last year, placing 8th in prelims, and honestly, the top 4-9 last year wad modestly close, and area was awful weather wise. I think they definitely have a chance at finals, but they won’t come out as strong as Argyle. Argyle is just built different. 

18 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Idk if Melissa is gonna be top 5. They are good, but Imo, it’s gonna take them a while to get towards the top. Argyle was barely 4th last year, placing 8th in prelims, and honestly, the top 4-9 last year wad modestly close, and area was awful weather wise. I think they definitely have a chance at finals, but they won’t come out as strong as Argyle. Argyle is just built different. 

I honestly thought the same thing from what my kids had said, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see Melissa anywhere from a 4th place spot all the way to 10th. It could really go either way. The designers/arrangers/writers on Melissa's show this year were all robbed from LISD too so that's not nothing. I honestly think its a toss up, but don't be surprised to see a surge from Melissa AND Argyle this year. They're both extremely good programs and Melissa is growing so fast they'll be up there with the best soon IMO. This is all what I'm hearing from my sources inside the program so I don't know for sure, but when I see them in person I'll have a better idea. 

4 hours ago, CardinalNation said:

I honestly thought the same thing from what my kids had said, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see Melissa anywhere from a 4th place spot all the way to 10th. It could really go either way. The designers/arrangers/writers on Melissa's show this year were all robbed from LISD too so that's not nothing. I honestly think its a toss up, but don't be surprised to see a surge from Melissa AND Argyle this year. They're both extremely good programs and Melissa is growing so fast they'll be up there with the best soon IMO. This is all what I'm hearing from my sources inside the program so I don't know for sure, but when I see them in person I'll have a better idea. 

being a former band student of Melissa myself, I could see them placing within the top 5 at Area, but due to the how well Wakeland, Lone Star, McKinney North, etc.. perform, it could be a bit more difficult. Can't wait to see how ya'll do though! 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:16 PM, CardinalNation said:

Area B is going to be insane, and as a Melissa resident and fan of the McKinney bands too... the fight for top 4 will be crazy. Looking at it myself I see a finish looking like 

1. Wakeland 2. Lone Star 3-4. Argyle/Melissa/North/ any other sneaky Frisco programs

I'm so excited to see how things shake up there.

I think Lebanon Trail has a fair chance too. As some posted before Wakeland has all new directors, will be interesting to see if they can come together that quickly.

45 minutes ago, Flute goddess said:

I think Lebanon Trail has a fair chance too. As some posted before Wakeland has all new directors, will be interesting to see if they can come together that quickly.

My bet is like

1. Wakeland

2. North/Lone Star

3. Lone Star/North

4. Lebanon/Colony/Argyle/Melissa

Lebanon was a decent margin ahead of Argyle so I dont see them placing in the top 4, top 5 is much more reasonable for  Argyle

1 hour ago, Flute goddess said:

Yeah Lebanon is definitely ahead of Argyle and Melissa for sure. I’m thinking that area will play out something like this: 

1st: Wakeland 

2nd: Lone Star 

3rd: Lebanon Trail 

4th: McKinney North 

5th: Argyle 

6th: The Colony (assuming they are still as strong) 

7th: Lovejoy (new staff for them) 

8th: Independence 

9th/10th: Walnut Grove, Centennial, Melissa, Liberty 

The bottom 5 could be between anyone, but I’d be surprised if the top 5 wasn’t this, unless a certain band somehow is stronger than the others at the top. I wouldn’t say Argyle is top 5 guaranteed seeing how they placed at area prelims, but again, even finals was super close in terms of scores. 

On 7/24/2023 at 3:01 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah Lebanon is definitely ahead of Argyle and Melissa for sure. I’m thinking that area will play out something like this: 

1st: Wakeland 

2nd: Lone Star 

3rd: Lebanon Trail 

4th: McKinney North 

5th: Argyle 

6th: The Colony (assuming they are still as strong) 

7th: Lovejoy (new staff for them) 

8th: Independence 

9th/10th: Walnut Grove, Centennial, Melissa, Liberty 

The bottom 5 could be between anyone, but I’d be surprised if the top 5 wasn’t this, unless a certain band somehow is stronger than the others at the top. I wouldn’t say Argyle is top 5 guaranteed seeing how they placed at area prelims, but again, even finals was super close in terms of scores. 

actually a great and reasonable list of predictions. we’ll see how everyone does with their shows and maybe this will change

Área B is extremely stacked, it’s not so easy to make state in Area B. I can’t wait to see what everyone has planned though. 

My school is in Area C, so it’s not as difficult compared to Area B, I’m still excited for what this season has in store for everyone. I don’t want to make predictions yet because truly anyone can make it to state if the cards are in favor.

ok nvm I’m making a prediction. this is based off of what I have seen since my sister’s high school years (graduated in 2019) and my time in band (been watching since 2015). these placements can be swapped, but I feel like this is a solid prediction. (keep in mind, I don’t know if some of these bands have moved out of 5A, but yuh).

1. Cedar Park (we know why you’re here)

2. Leander (my prediction to win last state, but oh well)

3. Rouse (idk much, but they’re Leander ISD, plus yall seem really good)

4. Wakeland (y’all are good no matter what show concept is thrown)

5. Forney (not gonna elaborate on the history of this program cause I know too much)

6. Hendrickson (seen that they were decently good, but yuh)

7. Aledo (idk if this band moved out of 5A, but love y’all)

8. Lone Star (they have my sister’s old director, thought I’d share. y’all got robbed last state, loved y’all’s show.)

9. Colleyville Heritage (y’all were so nice to us during finals exhibition 😭)

10. Friendswood (I loved y’all’s show concept, good job at super regionals)

11th and 12th, I don’t know because idk the rest of the current 5A groups, Dripping Springs and Highland Park would be here if they didn’t get moved out of 5A. If anyone else got moved out of this division, let me know PLEASE 😭

21 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

ok nvm I’m making a prediction. this is based off of what I have seen since my sister’s high school years (graduated in 2019) and my time in band (been watching since 2015). these placements can be swapped, but I feel like this is a solid prediction. (keep in mind, I don’t know if some of these bands have moved out of 5A, but yuh).

1. Cedar Park (we know why you’re here)

2. Leander (my prediction to win last state, but oh well)

3. Rouse (idk much, but they’re Leander ISD, plus yall seem really good)

4. Wakeland (y’all are good no matter what show concept is thrown)

5. Forney (not gonna elaborate on the history of this program cause I know too much)

6. Hendrickson (seen that they were decently good, but yuh)

7. Aledo (idk if this band moved out of 5A, but love y’all)

8. Lone Star (they have my sister’s old director, thought I’d share. y’all got robbed last state, loved y’all’s show.)

9. Colleyville Heritage (y’all were so nice to us during finals exhibition 😭)

10. Friendswood (I loved y’all’s show concept, good job at super regionals)

11th and 12th, I don’t know because idk the rest of the current 5A groups, Dripping Springs and Highland Park would be here if they didn’t get moved out of 5A. If anyone else got moved out of this division, let me know PLEASE 😭

I like your predictions! But I feel we will see Wakeland in the top 3. And Rouse has been showing much improvement over the years that 2nd place could happen again. I feel that Wakeland could have a chance to knock Cedar out of their winning streak, but we will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Dave609 said:

I like your predictions! But I feel we will see Wakeland in the top 3. And Rouse has been showing much improvement over the years that 2nd place could happen again. I feel that Wakeland could have a chance to knock Cedar out of their winning streak, but we will have to wait and see.

I do agree, I think Wakeland will take both Rouse and Leander, assuming them having a new head director doesn’t make to much of an impact, but considering that he’s Timber Creeks most recent director, they should be fine. I do see them having a chance at the gold as well, it won’t be easy, but I’d be super shocked if they aren’t top 3.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigBassBoi said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction:

Argyle wins state

I think you are overestimating how good they are. They are great, I hope it will be many years until they are able to win, let alone make state finals. They are really good, but first they have to get out of area B, which will be hard for them on its own. Maybe in a few years they can make state finals, but they are definitely not close to a state title. I understand they have a ton in 4A, but their is a big gap in overall quality between 4A and 5A

Something I think people dont realize is that theres a huge difference between 4A competition and 5A competition, where Argyle was the end all say all best in 4A in recent years to realistically, not making state had Wakeland made a 1 at region, not discrediting any 1-4A bands at all, but I dare you to put Hebron, Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Cedar Ridge, Rouse, Leander, or any others in 4A state and tell me thats a fair fight, if that makes sense lol

On 8/16/2023 at 5:09 PM, BigBassBoi said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction:

Argyle wins state

I love the spirit, but be considerate of the other schools. Just cause Argyle dominated one division doesn’t mean they’re gonna dominate another one.

I was taking to someone from another competing school a couple of years (2-3 years ago). They had recently moved into the division and had dominated the previous division. The kids I talked to had such an ego that they were going to beat my school. What ended up happening? My school beat them at the competition, those same kids who bragged to us switched up the same speed as them running their egos.

I understand you think Argyle is going to be wonderful, and I agree. However, be considerate of the other programs and how hard they work to even make state.