2022 HEB Marching Contest (Oct. 1)

Wakeland with the performance of the day so far! something you’re probably gonna be saying more than once at this contest, but they’re looking to be right in the thick of it with Keller, Prosper, Marcus, and Coppell. Gonna be really tough to pick a winner between those 5. Wakeland is in great form today, everything was great from them, big size, power, and great solo moments, again more technical difficulties with their soprano soloists, but you didn’t need a mic to know they were killing it! Tremendous job Wakeland, good luck in finals and all your contests moving forward!

Only playing up to their ballad, but woooo Coppell!! Y’all are doing awesome work, a bit more subdued in your approach despite some bombastic opening material, love the uniforms, the ballad was amazing, go sax soloist!! Very lovely, they’re a group that is daring the judges to give ‘em a tick on the music sheets with how composed and calm they sound. Looking forward to hearing y’all again tonight and next weekend at BOA!

What an exceptional performance from Coppell. They sounded incredible and their soloists were outstanding (the saxophone in the ballad is mind-blowingly good). Not only do they sound great though, but I thought visually they were very crisp and clean. Didn't see or hear much dirt, which is very impressive given we still have over a month left in the season. Once they add their closer they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

👀Forney coming in, you know they’re a great all-around group, strong in guard and percussion, the winds came out firing in their first opening hit with Symphony in Bb, they were awesome and the “keyhole” visual motif they have in their uniforms, props, drill sets is really fun to look at, just eye candy! They’re a program that’s gonna do really well at every contest they go to, the only thing that I feel detracted from their performance was some front ensemble synth sounds that were a bit distracting from everything that was going on, lots of head turns to the speakers, and perhaps a bit too much reverb on the soloists, other than that no complaints!!

Huge and clear sounds from Coppell. As others have said, the soloists were wonderful. I loved the ballad especially. It sounded very CTJ-ish. Definitely a more contemporary sound for this group. I'm a little less sold on the visual program, but it's still better than pretty much anything from them pre-2021. Some polishing will certainly help.

Think there’s about 7 clear contenders for top half here at this contest, timber creek is one of them! I’ll rate my experience of them as incomplete as the electronics breakdown plaguing nearly every band today continues, they weren’t able to get them online for their soloists at any point of the show, here’s hoping less of that happens for every group tonight, it’s been a bit rough for nearly every band today!!

Timber Creek was really solid. I did not like the uniforms when I saw an up close picture, but I think the upstairs effect is great with the matching props. Like I said before, I think UIL judges will eat this show up once it’s nice and clean. I think they performed the whole show, so they have plenty of time to clean. The climax in the ballad was gorgeous and definitely my favorite part of the show. They have really great impact moments, they just need to work on solidifying everything in between. But I think the mic issues are mainly to blame.

Marcus has always maintained that lovely symphonic sound on the field and this year is no different. They're definitely tackling some difficult technical passages in the opener and doing a pretty good job at taking it on. Visually it's not the most difficult drill, but there is some nice visuals that make for an aesthetically pleasing show. Will be interesting to see how caption results shake out, as I think there were a lot of really strong shows today.

6 minutes ago, slowbrass said:

Was that triple tonguing I heard in Marcus’ opener? Even if they were singling, there’s a TON of technique that they’re showing off and I’m loving it.

It may have been! Not quite clean or in time yet, but they'll get there!

I thought Marcus was pretty typical Marcus. Nice, warm, well-balanced sounds -- so subdued at first that I thought they were playing backfield even though they weren't. Oopsie! :lol: They do sophistication really well. Comparing at the top, I do think Coppell had the more exciting and effective show. But I slept on Marcus last year, and could be doing that again!

Marcus…I’m gonna need to see that again to form my full opinions. It just didn’t seem like their best run. The first few movements were great but that double tonguing stuff needs some serious cleaning. Soloists didn’t have their best run either. Other than that they sounded fantastic and obviously move well. Guard is maybe a bit smaller and weaker but still very very solid. 

Coppell was the clear winner for me. I know I’m probably very wrong but here’s my ranking of the bands I watched (based a lot on enjoyment factor) :

Coppell 

Prosper 

Keller

Marcus 

Wakeland

Forney/TC

TC/Forney

Haltom

3 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

It may have been! Not quite clean or in time yet, but they'll get there!

I thought Marcus was pretty typical Marcus. Nice, warm, well-balanced sounds -- so subdued at first that I thought they were playing backfield even though they weren't. Oopsie! :lol: They do sophistication really well. Comparing at the top, I do think Coppell had the more exciting and effective show. But I slept on Marcus last year, and could be doing that again!

I would say that Coppell had a similar, Marcus-y sound and subdued quality to it, the way they’re both going about their sound is quite comparable, both have their exciting moments along with a very nice orchestral quality to them, and they’ll both be heavily rewarded for it

2 hours ago, Origin said:

Keller sounds gooood (from what I can tell with all the wind on the mic that’s clearly not meant to pick up marching band contest audio 😂). The show feels more GE oriented (for lack of better words) than last year. I love the part with the big bike drill set that moves across the field. The ballad is 🔥. All the visual stuff is clearly not finished with the guard not being in costume, etc. I recognized one of the tarps as an old indoor percussion tarp that I guess they cut up? idk I’m assuming it’s a placeholder. 

Correct, one of the tarps is from a previous indoor percussion show and the other is from a previous winter guard show. Both are placeholders. 

6 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I would say that Coppell had a similar, Marcus-y sound and subdued quality to it, the way they’re both going about their sound is quite comparable, both have their exciting moments along with a very nice orchestral quality to them, and they’ll both be heavily rewarded for it

Hmmm, perhaps in some ways, or in some moments. But certainly there was nothing as big and in-your-face in Marcus' show as that opening Beethoven in Coppell. Generally, I found Coppell's sound bigger and more aggressive. But that could just be the recording.

58 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Hmmm, perhaps in some ways, or in some moments. But certainly there was nothing as big and in-your-face in Marcus' show as that opening Beethoven in Coppell. Generally, I found Coppell's sound bigger and more aggressive. But that could just be the recording.

Probably more the recording, and of course the first two movements for Coppell were definitely a bit more bombastic, but they definitely took a lot of edge off during their ballad and leading into it. Coppell’s size has a role in that as well, they were still very much in a similar approach to Marcus in never going over the edge of their sound, and even then both schools had their moments of “putting on some heat” so to speak🔥👀

Edit: was able to watch most of prelims live, got their a little bit late but yeah, a good vantage point, a few rows from the front, side 1, 45 yd line. Might be on side 2 a little higher up in finals we’ll see if I get back to the stadium early enough!😂 there is quite a large crowd today!