AREA G 6A 2022

what i said about Hanna was because I felt they deserved higher, and anyone who was there will tell you as such. I agree the way i worded my posts could have been interpreted negatively due to a lack of context, but I’m several years removed from competing in this activity and am in no way biased towards a certain organization. Expressing what I did about one judge’s previous workplace does not give you the right to antagonize the entirety of area g. If i cannot give my opinion, then what is the point of this forum? I will challenge the status quo if I feel like it. 

It's really the tale of area g, people are mad at results cause of how much the judges are not on the same page, a good example was last year where psja got 1st in visual and 9th in visual for finals.  the judging at area is inherently flawed(everywhere not just area g) and things need to be done to fix it, whether that be the removal of the caption switch or a review of why a judge scored the way they did, whatever needs to be done.

6 minutes ago, bbpoision said:

It's really the tale of area g, people are mad at results cause of how much the judges are not on the same page, a good example was last year where psja got 1st in visual and 9th in visual for finals.  the judging at area is inherently flawed(everywhere not just area g) and things need to be done to fix it, whether that be the removal of the caption switch or a review of why a judge scored the way they did, whatever needs to be done.

a reviewing committee is precisely what i had in mind. i’m glad we found common ground.  

5 hours ago, vbassoon said:

Turns out one of the judges worked at one of the area’s school districts. I’m sorry but a band that needs 4 of their directors conducting in addition to their 2 drum majors, is not state caliber. This is not even about being respectful towards a certain organization; when all this blatant evidence  is being shoved in our faces, it is not going to be ignored. 

I really suggest you take a step back with your comments. They’re dangerously bitter and unnecessarily spiteful. 

26 minutes ago, lost said:

I really suggest you take a step back with your comments. They’re dangerously bitter and unnecessarily spiteful. 

you’re right, there was no need for me to criticize the on-field product. in retrospect, i was using it as ethos for my argument, though the kids deserve nothing but praise for the hours they’ve poured into their show. my drastic reach for objectivity was blinded by the subjective nature of this art form and for that i’m truly sorry. 

23 hours ago, bbpoision said:

There was wonky stuff all over the place this weekend. So much of it doesn't make sense, but then again that's what happens when you put humans in charge of things. 

Good luck to the Area G bands that will represent South Texas at State! I'll be there cheering you on!

One of the Region 28 bands is still being a sore loser. Hateful, spiteful comments. It's sad.

There's still a lot of chatter and disbelief about the results of Finals - I guess it's who you know.

Any predictions if any of the Area G bands will finish above 35th?  I guess it's who you know.

Best wishes to all!

4 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

Nope, seems about right.

Why do the Area G bands always finish so low?

JBA has proven to possess a high quality ensemble sound which is why they qualified for state. Compared to a band like Waxahachie, however, their drill design is not as active( not as big of a step size, slower tempo, less complex formations). And their simultaneous playing + marching demand isn’t a high either. All of this contributes to them scoring and placing lower. 

33 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

JBA has proven to possess a high quality ensemble sound which is why they qualified for state. Compared to a band like Waxahachie, however, their drill design is not as active( not as big of a step size, slower tempo, less complex formations). And their simultaneous playing + marching demand isn’t a high either. All of this contributes to them scoring and placing lower. 

What about Harlingen and Brownsville Hanna?

4 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

That's a huge generalization. All three bands had vastly different show designs, concepts, and demands. All three also definitely don't sound the same.

Compared to the top bands the area G bands were more conservative with the demand of their material, hence why I made the above comment. If you want a more specific analysis Homer Hanna attempted a higher variety of playing style in their music than JBA; that swing-style Latin music + the ballad with those extended phrases with some dynamic contrast challenges the performers more. JBA didn’t seem to attempt as much technical content, felt more static. Harlingen’s musical content was hard to make out in the recordings I’ve heard of them. I think they could use a stronger ensemble sound and that may be why they placed so low. 

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

6 hours ago, SpudMuffin said:

That's a huge generalization. All three bands had vastly different show designs, concepts, and demands. All three also definitely don't sound the same.

I don’t think you’re presenting the Homer Hanna marching program in the best light given some of your recent posts. Let’s aim for more constructive content.

12 hours ago, lost said:

I don’t think you’re presenting the Homer Hanna marching program in the best light given some of your recent posts. Let’s aim for more constructive content.

I don't represent the Homer Hanna program, nor have I bashed them in any way.  I am not from Brownsville and am only familiar with them from YouTube and seeing them at one contest. 

In fact, I haven't singled out any one program.

I have asked for constructive content. I genuinely want to learn why some bands finish where they did. 

• 11 months later...