2022 BOA Waco (Oct. 29)

First time watching MG Johnson this season and I was very impressed. They have really strong sounds and the marching technique was pretty uniform across the field. Pop songs can be difficult to pull off in marching shows but I thought they did well with Get Lucky. Should be a definite medalist tonight and very likely a finalist in Indianapolis in November.

Here’s the prelims results! 
1A 

1st(all captions): Meridian 

2A 

1st place(Visual and tied Lovejoy with music): Argyle 

2nd place(GE): Roma

3rd place(Tied Argyle for music):Lovejoy 

3A

1st place(all captions): Cedar park 

2nd place: Rouse 

3rd place: Leander

4A 

1st place( all captions): M.G. Johnson 

finalist in performance order, finals start at 7:30 

Burleson centennial

Roma

Colleyville Heritage 

Lovejoy 

Richland 

Argyle 

M.G.Johnson 

Leander

Rouse

Mckinney North

Cedar Park

Aledo

Exhibition from  Meridian 

Congratulations to all, especially Lovejoy!!! First time boa and class 2A 3rd, music caption tie and made finals! I’m really surprised Hays and McCallum didn’t make it though, but I’m just so happy! 

Well, here is my predictions for finals! Everyone was fantastic, snd Cedar Park just blew my mind! I could see the bottom 4 as well as 4th-6th change, but here’s my guess, from first to last 

Cedar Park(all captions) 

Rouse 

Leander 

M.G. Johnson 

Aledo 

McKinney North 

Colleyville Heritage 

Richland 

Argyle 

Lovejoy 

Burleson Centennial

Roma 

Finals Results:

1. Cedar Park H.S., TX 91.500
2. Moe & Gene Johnson H.S., TX 89.900
3. Rouse H.S., TX 88.250
4. Leander H.S., TX 87.550
5. Aledo H.S., TX 85.700
6. McKinney North H.S., TX 85.350
7. Lovejoy H.S., TX 82.900
8. Argyle H.S., TX 82.000
9. Colleyville Heritage H.S., TX 81.950
10. Burleson Centennial H.S., TX 81.275
11. Richland H.S., TX 80.050
12. Roma H.S., TX 79.075

Outstanding Music Performance: Cedar Park H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: Cedar Park H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect: Cedar Park H.S., TX

So I'm more of a casual fan of marching band and DCI so I can confidently say I had never heard of MG Johnson until I saw that they were going to Grand Nats. I wasn't sure what to expect from them because Texas is SO competitive but holy... reminds me of Vista in 2018 cause I had never heard of them before either and they came out of nowhere and took State. Excited for them to go to Indy and represent Texas!

5 hours ago, mckinneynorthrulez said:

Holy crap. Just had the best show with the best people I could’ve asked for. This was our first time signing up for BOA and we made 6th our first try in FINALS. Really good way to end things for seniors cause they’ve never been to any BOA. I’m actually a freshmen but even still I got extremely teary eyed at the end of BOA because of how much i would miss the feeling of it. all the running and yelling and screaming and wanting to quit was and I’m not ready for that but I know we left our absolute best a Baylor stadium. GO NORTH!!!

Bro y’all’s show was amazing! That tap dancer was insane and y’all have such a great and big brass sound for y’all size! Congratulations on such an incredible season! 

35 minutes ago, BaritoneBallah said:

rouse visual image.jpeg.d38ee3a497d6c199802d9baa2713c4c0.jpeg

Yeah after seeing the recap from hornrank I’m just shocked! Their visual program was way better, at least coming from someone their live for finas( although we aren’t judges) then the scores they received. I’ll be doing a full breakdown of the comp soon today 

Okay everyone, now that this comp is over and I've got some free time, here's my full breakdown on the contest. I'm goanna do prelims first and then finals. I was only able to attend the first two blocks of prelims, but I had a friend there for the whole thing and got his feedback (we marched together so I trust his feedback). 

Prelims: Overall great stuff from everyone. You could definitely feel the emotions coming from the kids and this was most everyone's final comp who was here. The weather was defiantly a major factor, especially during the first two blocks, but for the most part the kids were able to push through. I will admit, I was really surprised that Hays nor McCallum made finals, but I don't know how I'd have out of finals. Of course, the obvious two would be Richland, who did have some electronic issues in prelims, but again I'm no judge. McCallum in 19th though just doesn't make sense, however, it seemed like this show seemed to do better at UIL judged comps than boa, and it just goes to show how different the two are. they were 3rd at area finals and then 19th here behind bands like LASA and Pieper who were at area D with McCallum and didn't even make finals. But then I remembered they were at the Vista Marching Comp which uses boa judging and they were 7th in finals. But overall, a really great prelims! 

Finals: I don't think I could have agreed more with the rankings. We all knew who would when and sweep captions, and I had my top 6 predictions in the right order so that was nice. However, the bottom six was kind of surprising to me. I thought personally Richland and Heritage would be one and two, but then it was Lovejoy and Argyle, which of course I couldn't have been happier about being a Lovejoy alum, but then after looking at the recaps, it did all make sense. It again goes to show just how different UIL and BOA judge. Roma, Richland, Heritage and Argyle were within the top four at area, and BC having a great season as well, but then Lovejoy, who was 9th at area finals, is able to top these groups and get 7th. This was again why I didn't make my predictions based on area, because I personally think it's not a great comp to use for as a representation of the bands. And of course, we had some major jumps from prelims to finals. 

Lovejoy- 10th-7th 

Roma- 8th- 12th 

And of course, a few more but again weather not being an issue made a huge difference for those groups who had to go earlier in the day. Just another amazing contest and being their live for finals was so special. Congrats again to all the bands who were here!!!