UIL Area F 5A 2021

17 minutes ago, wef said:

Our band director said that the judges were younger and preferred larger bands and legacy was they smallest by 30 people.

They placed 10th in prelims aswell

Your director was mistaken.  The panel was filled by experienced, seasoned directors with tons of accolades.  Don’t think band size had anything to do with it.  March well and play well (preferably at the same time, lol) and that will get you a birth to the State Championships

2 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

Your director was mistaken.  The panel was filled by experienced, seasoned directors with tons of accolades.  Don’t think band size had anything to do with it.  March well and play well (preferably at the same time, lol) and that will get you a birth to the State Championships

I think based on their performance today we can see that they DID do that. Perhaps not state championships, but definitely not 10th.

3 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

while i agree that playing and marching ability have a huge impact on scores, marching band is a subjective sport. unfortunately what the judges like and dislike can affect scores. 

10 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

you wanna tell me legacy didn’t have a better finals run than ANY other bands. Not a single other band in finals had a worse run than Legacy??

1 minute ago, Bandmanio said:

The panel included 1 current director with over 20 years experience, 1 retired director, 1 director of fine arts with 25+ years teaching experience, 1 additional fine arts coordinator with 15+ years teaching experience and 1 current director also with 15+ years teaching experience (who currently teaches at a school with around 120 students in their band).  I wouldn’t call this panel young or inexperienced at all.

there’s a difference between teaching/directing experience and judging experience. they may be experienced in the music and marching category, but may have a hard time when removing biases. 

19 minutes ago, rickthestick said:

Legacy is only going to get smaller, yet the school is going to be 6A in a year or two. At this point I can’t wrap my mind around why bands aren’t classified by the size of the band, was Legacy expected to just pull 30 people out of nowhere to march? 

While I understand that argument about band size, check out this school from the 2015 UIL 2A State Marching Contest.

Sundown HS has ~150 in the band in this video while just checking the Legacy HS video posted minutes ago, has ~120 members. 

I do no not think Sundown HS can compete with similar sized bands from 4A, 5A, 6A classifications.

Just now, Bandmanio said:

This was not a dig at the Legacy program from me, just a comment in general about the programs that advance (from all area contests). 

Alright. The “preferably at the same time” remark probably makes more sense spoken aloud. Just in this post it came off weird. 

22 minutes ago, Bandmanio said:

Exactly. Take Highland Park for example. Very small 5A band yet placed 2nd in 2019 and won area again this year. They march and play really well and at least partially overcome the band size deficit.