*Rio Grande City

*Victoria West

Brownsville Veterans Memorial

Gregory-Portland

Brownsville Pace

Donna

Alice

Going to be a great day of bands!

I think there will be 2 dark horse moments. I believe an unexpected band will make finals, and make state, but that’s just me wanting something really exciting to happen. The real question for me is who will now be a first ever Area G champ come Saturday? My pick is Pioneer, they have found their drive and have the fortunate draw of Last in finals.

I think there will be 2 dark horse moments. I believe an unexpected band will make finals, and make state, but that’s just me wanting something really exciting to happen. The real question for me is who will now be a first ever Area G champ come Saturday? My pick is Pioneer, they have found their drive and have the fortunate draw of Last in finals.

I'll go with Sharyland.  They passed Pioneer at the last contest and were only 2 points behind Roma at Mission pre-Pigskin!

I'll go with Sharyland. They passed Pioneer at the last contest and were only 2 points behind Roma at Mission pre-Pigskin!

Excellent shout! Man it’s going to be a good one. Sharyland has had a steady incline, which is what you want in a band program. Pioneer has re-discovered their competitive fervor after a sort of complacent start. My reasoning is based on a head to head performance basis, where bands perform on the same night. And pioneer has came out in front in my opinion, but you never know what could happen. Two excellent programs. One with a chip on its shoulder. One with a meteoric and sudden rise as a powerhouse in the band world. Both with a championship on the line. It’s gonna be a good one folks!

Honestly, Area G Champions is up in the air. With Roma now out, a new champion will crowned. Personally, my front-runners are Pioneer and Sharyland.These two band have grown from what they were two years ago. Performance is key and that will be the biggest factor coming into Saturday. Can't wait!!

PENALTIES IN MARCHING BAND ARE THE STUPIDEST THING EVER!!!!!

Other than if a student does something, or the band affects the schedule of the contest, it is not fair to the kids. All of them pour blood, sweat, and tears into perfecting their programs and for something as small as 30 seconds over on a performance take that away is just NOT RIGHT.

Basically kids are wasting their times perfecting programs that don’t even get to see the light of day because of A DIRECTOR’S MISTAKE! Or maybe not even. Incredibly unfortunate.

(And please don’t take this as though the Roma kids “wasted their time”. They didn’t. They still probably all learned to be better musicians and people. Just trying to make my point.

If we look past Roma we see something very exciting, all but 3 bands (other than Roma) in the area made 1s at region.

Bringing Roma back in, this makes the total number of bands qualifying for area 29, which means if Roma didn't get the penalty we would have 6 bands advancing from Area G. While no one is directly effected by Roma's absence since they would have been the 30th band to push the total to 6, we could see it effect the state competition.

Based on my projections (and we'll know for sure by this evening), we're looking at 35 5A bands qualifying for state. This means that potentially this single penalty could not only prevent Roma from making finals, but also another entirely different program likely across the state because of the 36+ rule (12 make finals). 

This is very disappointing for the Roma, the fans, and whoever ends up on the outskirts of finals. It's time for some change in UIL leadership.

Just to clarify on how the timing works.

All bands have 5 minutes to set up before the 8 minute clock automatically starts. Every band can, if they want, to begin BEFORE The 8 minutes begin, however pre-show or anything before the 8 minutes start will not be judged. The time for the 8 minutes is not subject to start earlier or later.

To be blunt, that video tells us nothing.

As the poster above notes, the 8 minutes doesn't begin until the 5 minutes has expired, regardless of whether the band had begun to perform or not. I have experience operating the clock at multiple UIL marching contests. I would typically cancel the 5 minute clock a few seconds before it counted all the way down so that I could take a moment to set up the 8 minute countdown. Somebody next to me would be keeping the countdown in the booth and when the 5 minutes expired he would signal me and I would begin the 8 minute clock. It would not be at all unusual for somebody to want to take 15 or 20 seconds to do this because it can be a little unnerving trying to make sure you don't mess up the programming of the clock. The buttons on the control are not always the best. More than once I would program in my 8 minutes and the scoreboard would show 18 minutes and I would have to quickly re-program.

I'm not saying that any of this happened there, but we don't see anything to tell us otherwise. We would have to see the countdown of the 5 minutes to be sure of anything.

What my friend Sam says is correct. If there were clock problems, the contest manager would be able to rule or resolve.

Which then if UIL denied the appeal means that Roma did indeed have a an issue with timing. No one here is saying anything but I just want to say it would be unfair to blame the directors without knowing all the details here. Things happen sometimes...They have 5 minutes to get on the field before the 8 minute clock starts. If they had a pre-show then they had rehearsed at what time to begin that within the 5 minutes to ensure a smooth transition to the 8 minute start. It's possible they didn't get on correctly, or there was an electronics issue, or a prop caused a pile up as they were entering the field...who knows but anything could have led to a delay in getting their preshow started which means when the 8 minute clock started they were still performing their preshow which then caused them to go over their 8 minutes. 

Or. They were good during their 5 minutes and if they had no preshow, they were just late starting their actual show and the 8 minute clock was running...

Or...they just took tempos to slow and that caused the show to run longer...

I mean so many ways for things to go wrong and I'm sure they rehearsed all this and had the timing down but sometimes things just happen. If UIL denied the appeal then it appears their is evidence suggesting that the clock folks got it right in which case any of the scenarios above could have come into play. 

Still sucks and sad to see :(

<p>

State Locks

1. Pioneer

2. Sharyland

3. Lopez/RGC

Finals Locks

5. Victoria West/Gregory Portland

Finals Bubble

• Brownsville Veterans Memorial
  • Pace
  • Laredo Martin
  • CC King
  • Valley View
  • Alice
  • Donna
  • PSJA SW
  • Laredo Cigarroa
I truly believe that the last state spot is up for grabs. Victoria West and Gregory Portland were very close in 2017, but honestly anything can happen. Donna made state in 2015 and didn't make Area finals in 2017. I'm real curious as to who will make state this year now that Roma unfortunately can't attend area. We can even have 2 new state bands this week. Pioneer, Sharyland, Lopez, and RGC made state last time and are amazing band programs, but it's all about how they perform that day. One bad run could be their last run.

Sorry to be this dark lol. I just can't wait to see what happens this week.

State Locks

1. Pioneer

2. Sharyland

3. Lopez/RGC

Finals Locks

5. Victoria West/Gregory Portland

Finals Bubble

• Brownsville Veterans Memorial
  • Pace
  • Laredo Martin
  • CC King
  • Valley View
  • Alice
  • Donna
  • PSJA SW
  • Laredo Cigarroa

Interesting. While Roma got first, Sharyland tied Pioneer in the finals at Weslaco earlier this month, and Pioneer got second based on its second in the prelims..  Sharyland got second at Prepigskin only 2/1000ths behind Roma at Mission while Pioneer got third.  Should be a good competition this Saturday!  Looking like perfect weather in the 70's!

Interesting. While Roma got first, Sharyland tied Pioneer in the finals at Weslaco earlier this month, and Pioneer got second based on its second in the prelims.. Sharyland got second at Prepigskin only 2/1000ths behind Roma at Mission while Pioneer got third. Should be a good competition this Saturday! Looking like perfect weather in the 70's!

Completely fair points, although this late in the season, earlier competitions can’t be the basis for everything. Right now, and especially Saturday it all depends on the performance. It truly does. And it’s just based on a performance by performance basis. As of now, the way it looks is that pioneer recognizes that Roma is out of the way (unfortunately so) and has shown a hunger like no other year they’ve had, and it’s paid off. Other than Roma, I’d say pioneer had the best run of region. Now I’m sure that sharyland has been seeing this and is using it as fuel to push further. It just comes down to Saturday’a performance(s). Anything can happen. It’s gonna be fun! *cough cough* tuning is gonna be a HUGE factor due to incoming weather *cough cough*

Interesting. While Roma got first, Sharyland tied Pioneer in the finals at Weslaco earlier this month, and Pioneer got second based on its second in the prelims.. Sharyland got second at Prepigskin only 2/1000ths behind Roma at Mission while Pioneer got third. Should be a good competition this Saturday! Looking like perfect weather in the 70's!

Yeah, it's going to be a great contest on Saturday. With Roma out, its anyones game. Rooting for pioneer