BOA Houston 2019

It was Langham, Bridgeland didn’t make area finals. Think they got like 12th in Prelims. I still remember the night like it was last night. First time anyone had seen head director ever cry while she told us about Milo Murphy’s law. Think it was the second ever time Langham didn’t make SMBC in school history. Are you in the Tompkins band?

Area 2018 was pretty strange. The look on your faces was so heartbreaking, you guys didn't deserve that.

Also, yes.

Also that day was the day I discovered this website and my first post was explaining what happened with Langham’s performance. So that day wasn’t all that bad for me.

We were walking back to legacy after our finals run while Langham was performing. I just remember everyone being so confused as to why the trumpet was that loud. I wish you guys the best of luck this week and hopefully you can come back with a bang.

Has anybody seen Reagan’s show yet? I’m very curious what the presumptive Houston regional champion is doing this year with their show, Secret World. Reagan’s show last year was fantastic, especially the music book, and the visual program was also a step forward. I’m excited to see how they follow it up. Since 2015, they’ve always given a pretty immaculate early-season performance.

Has anybody seen Reagan’s show yet? I’m very curious what the presumptive Houston regional champion is doing this year with their show, Secret World. Reagan’s show last year was fantastic, especially the music book, and the visual program was also a step forward. I’m excited to see how they follow it up. Since 2015, they’ve always given a pretty immaculate early-season performance.

There’s about 3 minutes of clips out there. Some cool brass moments.

Yeah, I found the Sept 21st video while searching for the show a little bit ago. Came back to post my thoughts. Looked like the first 4 minutes. Only had 4 views.

I’m liking this more curvalicious Reagan drill. It suits them well. They manage to make their shows interesting and effective without all the fancy props other groups use. I’m not as big of a fan of the music book this year, but in their defense, it’s really hard to make out the details of the music at a football game, and it’s incomplete. Doesn’t seem to have quite the same level of inventiveness, or quite the momentum. Maybe not as clean either, but the video is old, and it’s still a fine early performance. Way better than most. Overall, I don’t think this is quite the knockout that last year’s show was (based on the little I’ve seen), but matching last year’s show is a tall order.

I’m wondering what this means for the contest, but without seeing TWHS (or Seven Lakes!!!) I don’t know.

I Never know what to do with the Houston bands. There isn’t much of an established hierarchy tbh, it’s basically the woodlands out in front,and you could probably make the case that cy fair has established themselves as a clear second best program in the area, and then a deluge of like 16 programs that are all strong and beat each other all the time, often within the same season. Picking who makes the cut here is like drawing names from a hat

I Never know what to do with the Houston bands. There isn’t much of an established hierarchy tbh, it’s basically the woodlands out in front,and you could probably make the case that cy fair has established themselves as a clear second best program in the area, and then a deluge of like 16 programs that are all strong and beat each other all the time, often within the same season. Picking who makes the cut here is like drawing names from a hat

Pretty much. I also find it interesting to see how much scores increase for bands that attended Austin a week prior. So Pflugerville, Cypress Woods, and Westwood will be interesting to compare week to week. The last couple years it has taken around a 79 to make finals, so Westwood was right at that last week, and with improvements should make that cut. Cypress Woods needs 9 points, and Pflugerville needs 10, and I don't expect to see that level of increase, but it could happen I suppose.

My best guess (and boy, is this a guess) right now is something like:

Probably the clear top 3:

Ronald Reagan

The Woodlands (I've not see the show this year, so I have no idea what to expect - I no longer have a student there)

Westlake

I think a very solid middle 4:

Cy-Fair

Westwood

Seven Lakes

Clear Brook

Donnybrook for the remaining finals spots:

Oak Ridge

Pearland

Dawson

Stephen F Austin

Westfield

Cypress Falls

James E Taylor

Brazoswood

College Park

Cypress Woods

Klein Oak

Richland

Pflugerville

and I'm probably missing someone(s)...

Pretty much. I also find it interesting to see how much scores increase for bands that attended Austin a week prior. So Pflugerville, Cypress Woods, and Westwood will be interesting to compare week to week. The last couple years it has taken around a 79 to make finals, so Westwood was right at that last week, and with improvements should make that cut. Cypress Woods needs 9 points, and Pflugerville needs 10, and I don't expect to see that level of increase, but it could happen I suppose.

My best guess (and boy, is this a guess) right now is something like:

Probably the clear top 3:

Ronald Reagan

The Woodlands (I've not see the show this year, so I have no idea what to expect - I no longer have a student there)

Westlake

I think a very solid middle 4:

Cy-Fair

Westwood

Seven Lakes

Clear Brook

Donnybrook for the remaining finals spots:

Oak Ridge

Pearland

Dawson

Stephen F Austin

Westfield

Cypress Falls

James E Taylor

Brazoswood

College Park

Cypress Woods

Klein Oak

Richland

Pflugerville

and I'm probably missing someone(s)...

Heh..."donnybrook".  Well played.

the winner of the friendswood contest has never made finals here for the past 5 years

I hope to see that change

I watched a prelims and finals video of Clear Brook. My opinion is they make finals here unless something bad happens during their prelims run. While videos can be deceptive (crow may be on my menu), I really think they were clearly ahead of the pack behind them with where their show was on Saturday. But BOA is a different thing and judging system....

Looks like a small change.

Original Schedule

7:00 Magnolia H.S., TX
7:15 Conroe H.S., TX
7:30 The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX
7:45 Dawson H.S., TX
8:00 Paetow H.S., TX
8:15 Langham Creek H.S., TX
8:30 Westfield H.S., TX
8:45 Sandra Day O'Connor H.S., TX
9:00 BREAK
9:30 Katy H.S., TX
9:45 James E. Taylor H.S., TX
10:00 Oak Ridge H.S., TX
10:15 Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:30 Bridgeland H.S., TX
10:45 Klein Oak H.S., TX
11:00 Friendswood H.S., TX
11:15 The Woodlands H.S., TX
11:30 Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
11:45 BREAK
12:15 The Ann Richards School For Young Women Leaders, TX
12:30 William B. Travis H.S., TX
12:45 Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
1:00 Pearland H.S., TX
1:15 Clear Brook H.S., TX
1:30 Little Cypress - Mauriceville H.S., TX
1:45 Pflugerville H.S., TX
2:00 Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:15 George Ranch H.S., TX
2:30 BREAK
3:00 Westwood H.S., TX
3:15 Cy-Fair H.S., TX
3:30 Richland H.S., TX
3:45 Brazoswood H.S., TX
4:00 Westlake H.S., TX
4:15 Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
4:30 Seven Lakes H.S., TX
4:45 Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

New Schedule

7:00 Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
7:15 Magnolia H.S., TX
7:30 The Woodlands College Park H.S., TX
7:45 Dawson H.S., TX
8:00 Paetow H.S., TX
8:15 Langham Creek H.S., TX
8:30 Westfield H.S., TX
8:45 Sandra Day O'Connor H.S., TX
9:00 BREAK
9:30 Katy H.S., TX
9:45 James E. Taylor H.S., TX
10:00 Oak Ridge H.S., TX
10:15 Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:30 Bridgeland H.S., TX
10:45 Klein Oak H.S., TX
11:00 Friendswood H.S., TX
11:15 The Woodlands H.S., TX
11:30 Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
11:45 BREAK
12:15 The Ann Richards School For Young Women Leaders, TX
12:30 William B. Travis H.S., TX
12:45 Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
1:00 Pearland H.S., TX
1:15 Clear Brook H.S., TX
1:30 Little Cypress - Mauriceville H.S., TX
1:45 Pflugerville H.S., TX
2:00 Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:15 George Ranch H.S., TX
2:30 BREAK
3:00 Westwood H.S., TX
3:15 Cy-Fair H.S., TX
3:30 Richland H.S., TX
3:45 Brazoswood H.S., TX
4:00 Westlake H.S., TX
4:15 Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
4:30 Seven Lakes H.S., TX
4:45 Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

Still 34 bands - Conroe dropped, Churchill Fulshear added.

Seven lakes is a serious medal contender here and I think with a good performance could overtake the woodlands for that top Houston group spot this year or very soon down the line.

The Woodlands’ BOA season is about a month longer than Seven Lakes this year. Seven Lakes could beat TWHS if they have a really competitive show that can peak really early, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Been doing some video searching. Saw the video of Reagan from last week that others have seen. 

Just found this video of Westlake! It is over a month old at this point (posted aug 29) but pretty impressive! I think they will do well and could possibly sneak up on the woodlands since the woodlands are focused on peaking at Nationals. 

Looking for a video of 7L and the woodlands - and then I think I've seen every potential BOA Houston medalist!

Westlake - www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BG2ZmnIaVY

Saw it tonight at our districts fall festival. It’s fantastic!! Will easily take BOA Houston and will be a medal contender at SA Super Regional. Just my prediction.

(First Post ever!)

Performing at Katy Legacy again might give some of our band mild PTSD from our Area prelims results last year. We tied for 10th with Jersey Village, but judges' preference ruled against us and we were 11th, missing finals by one spot. It was actually the second Area contest in a row that we got 11th at (it first happened in 2016). But I've seen our band's culture changing for the better. I think (I hope) we can do something this year. Our directors tell us we have a shot at finals at this contest. It's going to be tough, but our showing at Austin has given us a big morale boost, I think. But I won't count my chickens before they hatch.

Any word on how brazoswood is doing after dropping McAllen?

I’m sure they’re now the favorites to win AAA

Im pretty sure they are AAAA, but I could be wrong. Their 9-12 enrollment is around 2400, but I couldn't find actual numbers for 10-12. Definitely on the small side of AAAA. They missed an entire week of rehearsals because of the storm, but they have a strong program, Im hoping they make finals. Ive seen their show, and if they can get the second half stronger, they will do well. 

I find it kind of frustrating, honestly. There's just so much inconsistency with Houston marching bands, which you don't get as much of in Austin, Dallas, or San Antonio. Is it because of staff turnover? Is the (swamp) weather that much worse? I'm not convinced. Houston has produced three of the four Texas national champions, but you really wouldn't guess it based on how inconsistent Houston groups have been for the past decade (at least). I've just reached that point where I stupidly pine for the old Spring and Westfield days, which I know will probably never come back. These days, you've got The Woodlands, and then you just cross your fingers hoping that whichever group was the 2nd-best group out of Houston the previous year has still got it. That's not to say the groups out of Houston are bad or anything. There are some groups that are consistently pretty good to good; there just aren't many consistently great programs. I think it's telling that a Houston-area group hasn't won the Houston-area regional in 6 years. The last time Houston has really rocked it was in the SFA days.

On that note, I'm still going to predict a Reagan win here. I'm not jumping up and down about their show this year like I was last year, but overall, it's an excellent show, based on the first half or so that I saw in that crappy football game video. Their nearest competition, The Woodlands, has me a little bit concerned. Yes, I adore their music book this year. I think it's fun, it's full of character and variety, it's thrilling, it's inspiring, it's challenging, it flows well. But in the recording from the football game last weekend, you can hear them still using a metronome for parts of their opener, which, at this point, they really shouldn't need anymore during a major performance. It makes me think that they're struggling a bit. Also, the pictures that the football group posted revealed that TWHS still doesn't have any props. This makes me concerned that either A.) The props won't be ready in time for Saturday, or B.) If they're ready in time, the kids will not have had much practice with them, whatever they are. Obviously, the visual program and the level of performance (both musically and visually) are still giant question marks, so there's a chance I'm overreacting.

Westlake is a group I haven't said anything about. They're consistently pretty great, so they're a logical choice to round out the top 3, but I've got my hopes set on a Houston-area group. You know, Seven Lakes or something...

While I certainly don't know the status, I did go back to last year, and they were using metronomes at football games at various points at least through the 4th game of the season. I really thought that is what I recalled, but had to make sure. Also, if you notice, they aren't starting with the opener at the last couple football games.

As to props, from comments elsewhere it appears some of them at the least are ready (and maybe all). They won't use them if there is a chance of rain at all during a football game. My assumption is that they are practicing with either the props or appropriate placeholders to be used to them during the show.