UIL Area D 2019

I really do think the top 3 could me McCallum, Weiss and Dripping Springs.

If anyone wants to know here's some of my thoughts on these Three,

Dripping Springs:

Starting their season Strong at the Cap city marching Competition they came in Second Place with an 84.8 and taking the guard Caption. Then continuing to the Vista Ridge Marching festival Tieing for 3rd Place with an 82.4 and taking the Marching Caption in prelims. Nothing much needs to be said about Dripping Springs After placing 2nd in the 2017 5A state contest I don't think it'll be hard for them to place top Three.

McCallum:

A very very interesting season for them so far, Coming in first place at The Cap City marching contest And the Lost Pines Marching contest Taking most of the captions at these competitions. They have a very good season this year and I don't doubt it will continue to State.

Weiss:

The up and coming 5A school that everyone seems to have heard of, This year they started their season With the Vista ridge marching Contest and took the captions of Percussion and Music in prelims and First in class 5A then coming in Second place with an 83.2. They this past weekend they took 11th place at the Texas Marching Classic barely missing finals by .088 (their score being a 77.925) it'll be interesting to see how they do at Area and State if they are in the Top 3.

These are just some of my thoughts if I missed some information please do correct me :D.

Region 12 Advancing Bands

Alamo Heights HS

Floresville High School

Lockhart HS

Seguin HS (1,2,1)

Region 8 Advancing Bands

Corsicana High School

Still waiting in 18 to post results but I'd count on at least 6 of the 9 5A's advancing 
Travis is Non Varisty so can't advance 

Northeast (Used to be Reagan) likely will not

Navarro (used to be Lanier) coin flip, they have been so close last 2 years

Crockett should advance 

Cedar Creek will

Bastrop will

McAllum, LBJ, and Dripping Springs are locks to go on.

The Area D schedule is as follows,

1 Crockett HS 11:30

2 Lockhart HS 11:45

3 Corsicana HS 12:00

4 Georgetown HS 12:15

5 Hutto HS 12:30

Lunch Break 12:45 ---- 1:30

6 Pflugerville HS 1:30

7 Floresville HS 1:45

8 LBJ High 2:00

9 East View HS 2:15

10 Dripping Springs HS 2:30

11 Weiss HS 2:45

12 Bastrop HS 3:00

Judges' Break 3:15

13 Alamo Heights HS 3:30

14 Elgin HS 3:45

15 Cedar Creek 4:00

16 Seguin HS 4:15

17 Connally HS 4:30

18 McCallum HS 4:45

Exhibition: Texas State Bobcat marching band

TABULATION/VERIFICATION PERIOD 5:30

DRUM MAJOR RETREAT/ANNOUNCEMENT 5:45

DINNER BREAK

Class 5A FINALS begin at 7:30

There will be 7 finalists the finals schedule is as follows

1 7:30

2 7:45

3 8:00

4 8:15

5 8:30

6 8:45

7 9:00

TABULATION 9:15

VERIFICATION PERIOD 9:30

DRUM MAJOR RETREAT/ANNOUNCEMENT 9:45

Finals

McCallum HS

Weiss HS

Dripping Springs

Connally HS

Georgetown HS

LBJ High

Pflugerville HS

----------------------

East View HS 1st one out

---------------------

next group out Floresville HS/ Bastrop HS/ Cedar Creek/ Seguin

Finals top 3 onto state (in order):

1. Weiss

2. Dripping Springs

3. McCallum

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say 5 judges will be close to accurate for top 3.

However I can see top 3 being kind of tight. I see marching coming out as

1 Dripping 

2 Weiss 

3 Mac 

Musically is tougher and likely the deciding factor on final placement being as there are 3 judges and it will be interesting to see how they rank these 3:

1 Mac

2 Dripping

3 Weis

Mac - They beat Dripping springs at Cap City first contest of the season, and Mac Band went on to Win Lost Pines sweeping all captions there (note that other Area D advancers there were LBJ & Crockett). So they will be confident going in undefeated on the season especially with the win over Dripping Springs early in the season. However, they haven't been to a contest since Lost Pines which was 3 weeks ago, other than Region marching contest. So no recent opportunity for more performance reps and critique from judges.

Weiss - beat Dripping as well the week after Cap City at Vista Ridge, and won their class. Dripping however was higher visually with Weiss beating them in music. (other Area D advancers there were Connally, Georgetown & LBJ -placed in that order too). The following week they missed finals at TMC finishing 11th in a strong field of larger and more established schools. They too have been off since then (3 weeks ago) other than region marching contest.

Dripping Springs- Only group here to have faced the other top 3 potential finishers having come in 2nd each time. However it was close and it was music performance that appeared to be the deciding factor. They took the visual caption at Vista Ridge in their class. They won visual/music in prelims at cap city the week before that, and this past Saturday they placed 8th at the Waco BOA Regional and won the visual caption there as well. Having finished 1st in prelims at the 2017 state marching contest only to end 2nd in finals, this is clearly a strong group having a little more performance experience and recent momentum under their belt coming into this.

Be a fun one to watch over at the Pfield in Pflugerville.

Hmmm Pflugerville has been steadily increasing and I wouldn't consider them a contender, but then again I have not seen them this year so I'm going off what I saw last year and their history. They were 15th at the BOA Austin Regional out of 26 bands out of a heavy Central Texas field and 22nd at BOA Houston our of 34 bands, so slightly higher performance there if you calculate the placements as a percentage relative to the number of bands at the contest. However, one can argue that the field at Austin was much more stacked than Houston. Ha, we should have a FPI (Football Power Index in College Football) to consider strength of schedule, cause one can definitely say BOA Austin had a higher FPI than the Houston Regional.

All this to say, they are unknown right now and could very well sneak in and take that number 3 spot. I wish they had attended the Vista Ridge contest to compare against Weiss, Dripping, LBJ, Connally, and Georgetown and we could have had a little Area D "likely" finals preview!

I have been watching DS's show on repeat from last Saturday in Waco and I think that they are on track for a lot of success in the late season. Dripping Springs has always been a program that takes a while to build but it seems to me from the outside that they are going to peak at the right time. Their show is perfectly built for UIL and they have had a lot of practice time recently with a lot of recent contests. All that being said any of those top three programs are really going to have to bring their all in finals if they want that Area Championship spot! Let's hope it isn't as cold as it was in 2017!

First time spectator if a band competition. Any tips? How early should I get there to watch finals? Does this stadium have a clear bag policy? Thank you all.

Ok, here's some tips

Clear bag policy usually depends on the venue/district, but I believe Pflugerville ISD has clear bag policy. It's better to bring one and be safe than sorry

Prime seats are up top around the 50, so those go fast. 15-30 before finals starts is probably enough time to get some good seats there

Lastly be sure not to leave your seat or enter during a band's performance. I hope all of this helps

Finals

McCallum HS

Weiss HS

Dripping Springs

Connally HS

Georgetown HS

LBJ High

Pflugerville HS

----------------------

East View HS 1st one out

---------------------

next group out Floresville HS/ Bastrop HS/ Cedar Creek/ Seguin

So looks like I had both Georgetown schools higher than anticipated. I was debating on flipping them with seguin and instead put Seguin in with the bastrops and floresville. Otherwise I was close having just missed Seguin. I would't doubt then that Georgetown/Floresville are the next ones out followed by Eastview and then the Basrops.

Now just waiting for the finals results...

darn it why didn't I go with my gut. I thought McCallum would win Music (I would love to see the recaps when they get posted), Dripping would win marching, and originally with that thought wanted to put McCallum 1, but went with the hot hand in Dripping Springs and the history of both Dripping/Weiss and so changed my post to that. Boo. Outside of that I had Connally pegged as alternate, and flipped Georgetown/Seguin with Pflugerville.

Congrats to McCallum on their Area Championship!! I think this puts them into contention for State Finals seeing how Dripping Springs and Weiss have been so strong as of late. But, as I said in the other Area thread, you never know. Can't wait for San Antonio!