2019 5A Area B

Yeah, we deserved that music score at TOC, but that happened partially because it was early in the morning and partially because we didn't play our big closer hit. If you watch a video of our last performance on youtube, the last half of the closer pretty much makes the show. Nonetheless, we worked on it throughout the season and I still felt like we were right on the brink of breaking out sound-wise but never quite got there except for in a few hits in the show.

That's a good point, draw times can significantly provide inaccurate and unrepresentative scores. And yes I can see your point. Let's also not forget that Lebanon Trail lost their visual caption by 10 points out of 2,000 at TOC (PESH received 1880/2000, and LT got 1870/2000). Also that drumline! I'm not a percussionist, but both you and I can tell that they worked really hard to win that caption this year. I believe they already have the biggest drumline in FISD and with no seniors!

That's a good point, draw times can significantly provide inaccurate and unrepresentative scores. And yes I can see your point. Let's also not forget that Lebanon Trail lost their visual caption by 10 points out of 2,000 at TOC (PESH received 1880/2000, and LT got 1870/2000). Also that drumline! I'm not a percussionist, but both you and I can tell that they worked really hard to win that caption this year. I believe they already have the biggest drumline in FISD and with no seniors!

and percussion is getting 20 freshmen next year...

so even if 3 get 2's there will still be 4 state spots, I'd call it a pretty safe bet.

Region 24's 5A bands have never gone below a 1 rating since 2004. Since then, every school has received a 1, regardless of classification (LSHS opened with grades 9-10 I believe, therefore were 3A at the time, as did Wakeland, and Lebanon Trail with just 9th graders).

I'd say no, I see Wylie East above most of the Frisco schools barring LT and Wakeland. 3/4 is completely possible, but Lovejoy also made some sound this year.

Why would you say that Wylie East would beat out other Frisco schools? They are a good band I agree with that, but their placement at area last year proves they just aren't that good enough to compete with Frisco. Let's not also forget that Frisco isn't the only ones in the area, TCHS, Princeton, and MNHS can't be ignored too ;)

Why would you say that Wylie East would beat out other Frisco schools? They are a good band I agree with that, but their placement at area last year proves they just aren't that good enough to compete with Frisco. Let's not also forget that Frisco isn't the only ones in the area, TCHS, Princeton, and MNHS can't be ignored too ;)

Did you not see them this past year? They've made MASSIVE strides since 2017, a completely different group so referencing 2017 Area results is a bit unfair.

Slotted - At an Area contest, UIL determines ahead of time that the first time slot will go to a Region X band, second slot to a Region Y band, third to a Region Z band, fourth to a Region X band, and so on... Advancing bands from Region X do a random draw, low number gets the first Region X slot, next lowest gets the 2nd Region X slot and so on.

Slotted - At an Area contest, UIL determines ahead of time that the first time slot will go to a Region X band, second slot to a Region Y band, third to a Region Z band, fourth to a Region X band, and so on... Advancing bands from Region X do a random draw, low number gets the first Region X slot, next lowest gets the 2nd Region X slot and so on.

Hmm, didn't appear to be that way with our Area, and not at State for 6A this past year. Everything I heard was straight up random draw.

Frankly not a big deal, just that your comment was the first I have ever heard about slotting.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...