Ten concert bands.  Wow.  I bet the concerts go for over 4 hours!  :)  

Oh, tell me about that!    RR has 5 bands plus 2 Jazz ensembles, and sometime section choirs.  4 hours is not an exaggeration.   We smuggle in snacks because the concert starts too early for dinner before and too late for dinner afterward.   

Yes I saw the huge flower. Nice! I couldn’t really pick out instruments but it was quite an enjoyable military style show. It’s so cool that y’all do this after BOA season. Of course it helps that you have a great football team!

It does help. We do this show every year to pay respects to our veterans and to allow everyone a chance to march again. It also gives us something to do during halftime instead of being a boring band who does nothing except dance team block.

In the olden days (like the 50s, 60s and 70s) it was common for a band to learn a new show for every home game.  Keep in mind these were what we now call "spirit" style shows and were easier to learn.  If your entire show was march tempo (120bpm), that's 720 steps for a 6 minute show if you move nonstop. So if you're doing military style or block drill with 16 and 32 count moves with lots of standstill, you'd have a full show with only 20-25 sets.  You'd just have a lot more music to memorize....but considering it's mostly just marches and stand tunes, a lot of bands are memorizing those anyway.

In the olden days (like the 50s, 60s and 70s) it was common for a band to learn a new show for every home game. Keep in mind these were what we now call "spirit" style shows and were easier to learn. If your entire show was march tempo (120bpm), that's 720 steps for a 6 minute show if you move nonstop. So if you're doing military style or block drill with 16 and 32 count moves with lots of standstill, you'd have a full show with only 20-25 sets. You'd just have a lot more music to memorize....but considering it's mostly just marches and stand tunes, a lot of bands are memorizing those anyway.

Oh my word, did you just say THE OLDEN DAYS?!

In the olden days (like the 50s, 60s and 70s) it was common for a band to learn a new show for every home game.  Keep in mind these were what we now call "spirit" style shows and were easier to learn.  If your entire show was march tempo (120bpm), that's 720 steps for a 6 minute show if you move nonstop. So if you're doing military style or block drill with 16 and 32 count moves with lots of standstill, you'd have a full show with only 20-25 sets.  You'd just have a lot more music to memorize....but considering it's mostly just marches and stand tunes, a lot of bands are memorizing those anyway.

My freshman and sophomore years of High School, we had the same music for the fall marching season, but we changed the entire drill every week. the fall season ran from mid September to Thanksgiving - ending with the All Western Band Review in Long Beach on Thanksgiving weekend - it was the Grand Nats of parade competitions with no field show -  and if you were lucky, a performance on Main Street USA in Disneyland. - 

In the spring marching season - we generally had 1 show used and polished but different from the - season was only 5 or 6 weeks long.

by my Jr year year we went to a single show that was polished or adjusted each week. - this was the early 80's in Northern California - Yep - the "good old days"

My freshman and sophomore years of High School, we had the same music for the fall marching season, but we changed the entire drill every week. the fall season ran from mid September to Thanksgiving - ending with the All Western Band Review in Long Beach on Thanksgiving weekend - it was the Grand Nats of parade competitions with no field show - and if you were lucky, a performance on Main Street USA in Disneyland. -

In the spring marching season - we generally had 1 show used and polished but different from the - season was only 5 or 6 weeks long.

by my Jr year year we went to a single show that was polished or adjusted each week. - this was the early 80's in Northern California - Yep - the "good old days"

We must be pretty close to the same age. You know...from the olden days. ;)

This is what college show bands like Texas Tech, UT, Baylor, etc. do today, though the music is more than just stand tunes.  My son is in the Texas Tech Goin' Band - they learned 6 different halftime shows this year, plus their pre-game show. (see all of them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/GoinBandRaiderland/videos).   One of them was a wedding show - they had an actual wedding ceremony during the show for a couple of band alums.

This is what college show bands like Texas Tech, UT, Baylor, etc. do today, though the music is more than just stand tunes. My son is in the Texas Tech Goin' Band - they learned 6 different halftime shows this year, plus their pre-game show. (see all of them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/GoinBandRaiderland/videos). One of them was a wedding show - they had an actual wedding ceremony during the show for a couple of band alums.

Ok I had to watch the wedding show. How awesome for that band couple to get married that way!

Ok I had to watch the wedding show. How awesome for that band couple to get married that way!

After watching the Pre Game performances of the Michigan and Ohio State University Bands, I realize why I enjoyed College Band so much better than HS. Yes we like winning trophies, but no matter what type of show we performed, you cannot match the Script Ohio of the Buckeye Marching Band, of which my father was a member.  I hope our College Bands never become competitive because Bands like UT, Baylor, Texas Tech and others allow college musicians to enjoy playing in the Band, without the competition stress of the Shows. I think of this when ever I hear my College Band strike up Conquest, and how much fun Band is and can be

After watching the Pre Game performances of the Michigan and Ohio State University Bands, I realize why I enjoyed College Band so much better than HS. Yes we like winning trophies, but no matter what type of show we performed, you cannot match the Script Ohio of the Buckeye Marching Band, of which my father was a member. I hope our College Bands never become competitive because Bands like UT, Baylor, Texas Tech and others allow college musicians to enjoy playing in the Band, without the competition stress of the Shows. I think of this when ever I hear my College Band strike up Conquest, and how much fun Band is and can be

Your dad was in the OSU band?! Wow, that’s royalty right there. :)

Ten concert bands.  Wow.  I bet the concerts go for over 4 hours!  :)  

I went to Allen's first night of winter band concerts last night, and found out that I misspoke earlier.  There are only 9 concert bands this year, plus jazz band.  Their programs were shorter, since concert band just started, so each night is only about 3 hours this time.

I went to Allen's first night of winter band concerts last night, and found out that I misspoke earlier. There are only 9 concert bands this year, plus jazz band. Their programs were shorter, since concert band just started, so each night is only about 3 hours this time.

“Only 9”

Love the word choice there :P