Vista Ridge Marching Festival 2018

Hi everyone! With the VRMF a few weeks away, I wanted to open up a discussion on this topic. Are you surprised by who is and is not attending this year? Who do you think will be the medalists? Who do you think will fight for a spot in finals? Are you going to be attending this year?

Here is a link to the participants' page:

http://www.vrhsband.org/marchingfestival/participants/

Hi everyone! With the VRMF a few weeks away, I wanted to open up a discussion on this topic. Are you surprised by who is and is not attending this year? Who do you think will be the medalists? Who do you think will fight for a spot in finals? Are you going to be attending this year?

Here is a link to the participants' page:

http://www.vrhsband.org/marchingfestival/participants/

Bryan is evidently so massive that they have two separate performances. ;-)

Schedule is out:

12:15  Marble Falls

12:30  McNeil

12:45  Llano

1:00  Lampasas

1:15  Hays

1:30  Hutto

1:45  BREAK

2:00  Giddings

2:15  Glenn

2:30  JW Nixon

2:45  Brenham

3:00  Brennan

3:15  Georgetown

3:30  JP Stevens

3:45  BREAK

4:00  Taft

4:15  Liberty Hill

4:30  Victoria West

4:45  Bryan

5:00  Lehman

5:15  Weiss

5:30  McCollum

5:45  AWARDS

7:00 Vista Ridge Exhibition

First Finals Performance 7:30

Last Final Performance  10:00

10:30 - Finals Awards

Georgetown shouldn't be counted out either. Last year I was impressed by what I saw at TMC.

Thanks herbaflerb I’m glad you liked it. Anyway, this year we should have the full show out on the field this time so I am really hoping for the best! By the way, are you attinding VRMS this year herbaflerb? If so what band are you in I would like to came say hi if you don’t mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Prelims Results:

4A Caption Awards:

Music: Giddings HS

Marching: Lampasas HS

General Effect: Lampasas HS

Percussion: Giddings HS

Auxiliary: Lampasas HS

5A Caption Awards:

Music: Weiss HS

Marching: Weiss HS

General Effect: Georgetown HS

Percussion: Georgetown HS

Auxiliary: Georgetown HS

6A Caption Awards:

Music: Brennan HS

Marching: Hays HS

General Effect: Lehman HS

Percussion: McNeil HS

Auxiliary: Hays HS

4A:

1. Lampasas HS

2. Giddings HS

3. Liberty Hill HS

5A:

1. Weiss HS

2. Glenn HS

3. Brenham HS

6A:

1. Lehman HS

2. Brennan HS

3. Hays HS

FINALS

10th-Brenham HS 60.3

9th- Glenn HS 60.9

8th- Hutto HS 61.2

7th- Georgetown HS 63.7

6th- Brennan HS 65.1

5th- JP Stevens HS 66.5

4th- Hays HS 67.5

3rd- Lehman HS 71.5

2nd-McNeil HS 73.2

1st- Weiss HS 78.8

I'm just going to put it out there that I do not agree with Weiss coming in first. All I can say is good for them. It is a nice jumping off point for there season and a confidence boost before St. Louis.

Well from what I saw and considering there was a 5 point gap, id say it was pretty well deserved. That being said, I 100% respect your opinion and would like to know your thoughts on their performance.

Well from what I saw and considering there was a 5 point gap, id say it was pretty well deserved. That being said, I 100% respect your opinion and would like to know your thoughts on their performance.

My thoughts from backfield were that they were one of if not the cleanest group of the entire night. Their dance team was insanely clean, the drill was clean, the music was clean, the whole thing. However, I thought the show was not very complex, especially compared to what I saw from the majority of the 6A groups last night (WOW Hays!). In addition, I was not really impacted emotionally the way I was with other programs in finals. Brennan made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and Hays almost made me shed a tear it was so beautiful. Lastly, their general effect, in my opinion, should have been much lower than many of the other finalists who really set the field well last night with props and stages. I didnt't fell underwhelmed by there performance, but it was not one that I would want to go home and write about either. Overall, I would have had them in the bottom half of the finals and do not understand, other than the precision with which their product was performed, what granted them a win with 5 points to spare.

I think Weiss did AMAZING for a band their size and only existing 2 years and not having any seniors! They were definitely very clean and showed attention to detail. Weiss had amazing soloists and had a beautiful woodwind feature followed by their first full band entrance, which had nice full brass sounds at the beginning of their show. I think that they definitely deserved that 1st place win and I think those judges definitely agreed. They had a fantastic GE score with a 93 which meant they had a TWENTY point difference with the band who got 2nd in GE. These kids definitely showed that they worked hard for this win

My thoughts from backfield were that they were one of if not the cleanest group of the entire night. Their dance team was insanely clean, the drill was clean, the music was clean, the whole thing. However, I thought the show was not very complex, especially compared to what I saw from the majority of the 6A groups last night (WOW Hays!). In addition, I was not really impacted emotionally the way I was with other programs in finals. Brennan made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and Hays almost made me shed a tear it was so beautiful. Lastly, their general effect, in my opinion, should have been much lower than many of the other finalists who really set the field well last night with props and stages. I didnt't fell underwhelmed by there performance, but it was not one that I would want to go home and write about either. Overall, I would have had them in the bottom half of the finals and do not understand, other than the precision with which their product was performed, what granted them a win with 5 points to spare.

I think marching band in competition has to have both the emotional aspect and the performance aspect. From what I've seen of these groups, Weiss has the cleanest marching and most outstanding playing of any group in attendance. GE has much more to it than emotional impact, and I would have to say that if you were backfield then I agree that you wouldn't get much out of watching a band their size. However I'm not at all surprised that they won by such a huge margin with how cleanly they march and how good they sound the entire show. Few stick-outs and a great band sound.

I honestly thought Glenn would have placed a little higher. They sounded and marched well, but with the staff and backround they come from, I guess I was just expecting a bit more?

I honestly thought Glenn would have placed a little higher. They sounded and marched well, but with the staff and backround they come from, I guess I was just expecting a bit more?

I know what you mean. Maybe LISD can only effectively support the bands it has right now. From all accounts, the Glenn has lots of potential, but maybe it doesn't have the resources to grow faster?

Hutto has improved a lot this year. They scored really well and had a huge jump in their rankings compared to this competition last year. Also, they scored 10th in preliminaries but moved up two spots to 8th overall in finals, which is really impressive, and third in music. A really good up and coming band to look out for.