How to balance 6 college classes with band

MadisonBandMan1

It is possible, I think many band kids do it. My advice is to be organized and to stay on top of things. Do as much as you can in September on projects that may span the semester as October can be tough with all the competions. Work with the teachers and try to get work ahead of time if band will keep you from class.

You can do it!!

Pay attention to how much time you spend at the computer or on your phone.  Both just in the casual daily grind and in the evening between when band practice gets out and when you finally go to bed.  People who manage their time successfully have very little idle time where they're just flicking through their phone.  If you find yourself doing this a lot and yet are still feeling the time crush, then you aren't managing your time effectively.  You can't let procrastination be a factor when you're trying to operate at this level.  It will overcome you.

Take stock of your idle time in class.  Some classes require your undivided attention at all times, some classes are either more "blow-off" or more "busy work" intensive.  Be sure you're making your absolute best use of this time even if it means doing math homework in english class or doing your reading homework (chapter book) on the bus to away games. 

great advice that will carry you beyond your college years - 

This year is my senior year and I am taking 5 AP classes and 6 AP exams. For me, the struggle is always completing work in a timely manner. That being said, the most important thing that I feel like you must possess to get through it all is a fear of not turning work in on time. Now, if you are a superhuman than keep doing what you are doing. If you are just an average joe like me, then I would recommend developing this fear until it is so intense that you will do almost anything to finish your work. It cannot be fueled by external factors. It must come from within you. You must flip the switch, put your foot down, and do the work no matter what. Even though this sounds unhealthy, It has served me pretty well ever since my GPA fell and I almost failed two AP courses last year due to laziness and distractions. I promise MadisonBandMan 1, if you refuse to turn in work late your life will become slightly more open and you will probably get a great deal of satisfaction in return.

This year is my senior year and I am taking 5 AP classes and 6 AP exams. For me, the struggle is always completing work in a timely manner. That being said, the most important thing that I feel like you must possess to get through it all is a fear of not turning work in on time. Now, if you are a superhuman than keep doing what you are doing. If you are just an average joe like me, then I would recommend developing this fear until it is so intense that you will do almost anything to finish your work. It cannot be fueled by external factors. It must come from within you. You must flip the switch, put your foot down, and do the work no matter what. Even though this sounds unhealthy, It has served me pretty well ever since my GPA fell and I almost failed two AP courses last year due to laziness and distractions. I promise MadisonBandMan 1, if you refuse to turn in work late your life will become slightly more open and you will probably get a great deal of satisfaction in return.

Haha I also developed this fear of turning things in late. Almost all of my college classes don't allow late assignments anyways.

I was in a pretty similar spot my junior and senior year. This might seem like the worst advice ever, but:

1.Band is not life and your school work needs to be number 1 no matter what. That being said, if you're doing everything right, you'll have plenty of time to practice.

2. Right after rehearsal, eat, then study. If your schedule is genuinely that intense, cut video games and tv. Doing homework should come before being on your phone (you'll get more sleep that way too)

3. Be aware there will be a few nights where you don't get much sleep. I always set a hard bedtime of midnight. I would also wake up at 5 to finish any homework (you probably don't need to be THAT drastic)

4. In high school, turning in everything on time will guarantee you an A (unless your quality of work is just that bad). In college it will guarantee you a C, but be happy you're not there yet :)

5. You're from NEISD, and I know their AP curve creates a very competitive environment higher than any NISD school. Don't let it get to you too much, whether your GPA very high or not as high as you'd like.

6. Realize you will never study on the bus to or from a competition. Do your homework before or after competitions.

7. Realize early on that life is unfair and teachers don't owe you extensions.

The plus side to all of this is that taking high school that seriously has made college relatively easy, plus I entered with 117 credits, which made my parents' wallets very happy.

1. Write or type EVERYTHING down.  It'll help you remember.
2. Breathe.  It is NOT the end of the World to take 30 minutes to relax or play HALO to keep your head from bursting.
3. For the love of Christ, don't wait until the last minute with projects.

Good luck, buddy!!

I forgot, have something to do or someone to be with when it gets too tough. Those two years were also when I started dating my first girlfriend and honestly she's the only reason I stayed sane. We would eat lunch together, do homework together, and talk about things that weren't band or school. The person to do this for you can be a best friend, or it can be a recreational activity. Just something that isn't band or school. This isn't something to get your anger out, or someone to vent to 24/7, but it's a nice way to escape and just enjoy something or the company of someone.